Guanxi

This is a game that I've been making over the course of about a month and a half now. BTW, I have this up on TIG too, under the username ninto.

The general idea of this game is about the little adventurer that runs around doing deeds for his fellow villagers. His village is comprised of separate islands, that are linked with bridges. There really is no winning, it's basically just to have fun adventuring.I'm still deciding whether there should be enemies, but I know for a fact weapons will not be a feature. Maybe jumping on their heads to kill them, I will come to a conclusion soon.
For every deed you accomplish, you will earn XP. After a certain amount of XP gained, you'll rank up. For every few ranks, you will be able to explore more islands and villages, which, brings more tasks to complete. Some of these tasks might include fishing, or even finding a lost pet.
The list is endless, really.

Team:

Me, artist
Darkroot, coder (He doesn't have an account)
Fluidvolt, musician

Menu.

Character.

In-game screenshot.

----

I will try my best to be updating this every couple days.

Last edited by someonesomewhere (Aug 18, 2011 2:43 am)

Did I mention there will be caves?

uk

What platform is this going to be on? Win/Linux? Looks very interesting, i would give it a try. Anyone is writing a soundtrack yet? Good luck with it smile

It's flash based, since we're hoping to submit it to a game website like Newgrounds or something.

Several people have already contacted me to do the soundtrack, but thanks so much!  smile

looks cute! good luck

Venezuela

minimalist!!!!.... jeje... i would love to see moar! :DDD.... as i said, i liked the house...

a short suggest, try to add more color contrast between background elements and foreground elements.

I'll definitely be sure to increase the contrast, thanks for the tip ui!

Things to start this week

- Font
- Moar buildings
- Moar characters
- Finish up walk & jump animation

Cheers~

This looks sexy, love the look of the game's graphics and love the idea. As for whether to include enemies or not, i think that you should, but only as a minor inconvenience, like you have to avoid rather than kill. So that they aren't a major feature of the game but still add an extra element of gameplay to it. Seriously cant wait to play it though smile

Thanks for the feedback, definitely taken under consideration!

And welcome Fluidvolt to the team! He will be the musician for Guanxi. big_smile

Wellington, New Zealand

This looks rad. Can't wait to play it.

Guanxi poster! (WIP font)

So we're creating a base for four seasons. Summer Fall Winter Spring. I don't know if we're basing it all around one complex of mountains like above, or different places. Probably the latter, because it might get repetitive and boring in one place. We'll see.

Last edited by someonesomewhere (Jul 22, 2011 1:41 pm)

Hey everyone, so I just wanted to let you know a fan made us a wordpress for Guanxi!

It's cooler than I thought, and really nice of him: Have a look!

Fluidvolt has already made two tracks, and their beautiful! Enchanting Grotto, a lovely cave-setting, and Overworld, an upbeat hometown setting.

Last edited by someonesomewhere (Jul 23, 2011 7:08 pm)

Day 45:

Darkroot is finishing up his class, so we're getting able to kick this into full speed!

Things to start
- Details: Trees, Rocks, etc.
- Second town
- Ranks/badges

Things to continue
- More townsfolk
- Buildings

Things to finish
- Polishing up 1st town (undecided name)

I'd love to show you some stuff, but I cannot right now because I'm not on the computer with all the files. Check back later today for some eye candy.

Some eye candy!

Wellington, New Zealand

Pretty cool music smile Sounds like something from earthbound smile

Apricorn wrote:

Pretty cool music smile Sounds like something from earthbound smile

That's exactly what I was going for big_smile .