Fargo

I've been looking to get some smaller wire to make closing up after a mod a little easier.  I'd like to get some 28awg hookup wire, but I can't seem to find a 1) legitimate looking and 2) reasonably priced online supplier (which doesn't require you to buy in bulk).  Does anyone know of a good place to get this size?  I have Googled and searched quite a bit already.  I don't need much.  Just enough to last me through a few Gameboy mod projects.

Melbourne, AU

Isn't Mouser or Digikey a good option (assuming you're in the USA and shipping one spool would be cheap)?

Fargo

I checked those out, but I don't need 100' spools.  I couldn't find anything less.  They're also like $50 or more, which seems like they might be more for professional application.  I'm a hobbyist at best.

Fargo

Can anybody vouch for www.allspectrum.com?  Looks promising.

matt's mind

request botht eh mouser and digikey catalogs.  they're free.  if you are navigating on the websites, you'll overlook some stuff they have.  the company "alpha wire" is what mouser carries if i recall right, its very good wire.  and, 100' spools like you mention.

but they do have smaller spools (i've ordered them), check a different color or coating material.  alpha wire does a few coating styles, and colors, and mouser doesn't carry all the spool sizes for all the colors and types.  the magazines will help with this...  soooo much easier to navigate.

alternatively, radioshack location which still have the little electronics component section have hookup wire.  i've used them before in emergencies, i needed 24 gauge then however, but i would bet they've got smaller for you.  too small a wire can  be the source of signal degradation.  its also important sometimes to get a good quality wire for some applications as the material adds a natural resistance, and better materials/thicker wire less.  sort of like using too thin a wire on big speakers...  but, for gameboy shouldn't matter.  just for the future...  the wire needs to be a bit longer than a few inches too, for the resistance to add up to anything important in applications like this wink

hope that helps a little

Melbourne, AU
Krubbz wrote:

I checked those out, but I don't need 100' spools.  I couldn't find anything less.  They're also like $50 or more, which seems like they might be more for professional application.  I'm a hobbyist at best.

$50? Mouser part 602-3048-100-01, 100ft spool, $15.35.

Fargo

That does help, Kitsch.  Thanks!  I agree, the site is a bit confusing to navigate.  Maybe it's more my inexperience than the site itself, but I for sure was not finding what I needed.

Wilba, I must've missed that one or didn't quite make it far enough into the search results.  I looked through a lot, though.  $15 is more of a price I can handle!  Thanks!

killadelphia

allspectrum is cool - i've ordered from them.

Fargo

Thanks, that's good to know.  They seemed cool, but my order wouldn't go through. 

Just also realized you can sort on Mouser's site from cheapest to most expensive.  D'oh!  My bad.

Krubbz wrote:

Can anybody vouch for www.allspectrum.com?  Looks promising.

Thanks you for sharing.

Milwaukee, WI

Sparkfun is always fun.