Fargo

I think I'm going to be preordering one of these bad boys.  They look and sound great, especially for an analogue synth at that price!  It has MIDI in/out and can transfer MIDI data to a computer using USB.  It also has CV in/out allowing it to work in sync (or N'Sync, if you will wink )  with old hardware.  2 LFOs, 2 ADSR Envelope generators, an arpeggiator, and a really cool mixer style interface to mix the waveforms and an audio input together to taste.  This thing really seems bad ass.  Anybody go to NAMM and get to try this thing out, or has anyone heard anything else about it?  I'd like to hear others' impressions.

Tacoma WA

stiener-parker filter! woot woot

ad-hell-aide

looks impressive, actually

Fargo

Agreed with both of yous guys.  They apparently improved upon the Steiner-Parker filter with improvements overseen by Nyle Steiner himself!

Tacoma, WA

Looks really flippin' sweet... bet its hella expensive though...

Fargo

Not comparatively.  $500 is what they're going to be asking.  I was looking into getting a MIDI controller because all the decent synths were out of my price range, but this thing is worth it for the extra money.  It does everything I'd want it to for MIDI, plus a stand-alone analogue synth.

Why this over the Moog Minitaur?

Fargo

I needed the keyboard to control MIDINES.  Originally I was looking at MIDI controllers but instead came across the Minibrute.  It's everything I need plus a full analogue synth.  Can't beat that.  The Minitaur looks awesome as well.  If only I could have gotten both :-/

Madison, Alabama

Yeah, this thing looks pretty sexy.  I bought a Little Phatty to replace a Moog Prodigy that died, but this thing kind of looks more like what I want.  A bit more straight-forward.  And I like what I've heard of that filter.

Fargo
roboctopus wrote:

this thing kind of looks more like what I want.

There's a new video up on Sweetwater that might make you want it even more.  Just watching somebody mess around with it makes me giddy with anticipation.  That's right, giddy.  But the unquestionably manly kind, of course.  I can't wait!

Last edited by Krubbz (Apr 10, 2012 7:31 pm)

roboctopus wrote:

Yeah, this thing looks pretty sexy.  I bought a Little Phatty to replace a Moog Prodigy that died, but this thing kind of looks more like what I want.  A bit more straight-forward.  And I like what I've heard of that filter.

Really? I am in no way bashing your opinion, but you'd rather have the one-oscillator, cheap Chinese manufactured Minibrute than a two-oscillator American-made analog synth with that sexy Moog filter?

I guess that price is fantastic though, $500 might have me adding it to my set up as well. I just want to know more of what you think because I'm a Moog-fan myself and I'd love to have a Prodigy next to my Little Phatty.
smile

Fargo

I'd love to add some Moog equipment to my collection.  You've gotta love that sound.  You said it though, it's the price.  I can't afford $1300 or whatever the Little Phatty is.  If I could, I probably would.  In the meantime, this looks like it will be a lot of fun to play around with.

Madison, Alabama
xombiexplox wrote:
roboctopus wrote:

Really? I am in no way bashing your opinion, but you'd rather have the one-oscillator, cheap Chinese manufactured Minibrute than a two-oscillator American-made analog synth with that sexy Moog filter?

I guess that price is fantastic though, $500 might have me adding it to my set up as well. I just want to know more of what you think because I'm a Moog-fan myself and I'd love to have a Prodigy next to my Little Phatty.
smile

Don't get me wrong, I *like* my Little Phatty.  It's a nice synth.  It has a nice sound.  But it lacks the sense of immediacy the Prodigy had.  That no patch memory, knob-per-function, seat-of-your-pants immediacy.  The Prodigy sounded a little trashier too.  Sometimes want a nice sounding two-osc synth to spend quality time with, learning the ins-and-outs and discovering nuances.  But sometimes I want something cheap and fast with no memory.  =P

So what I mean is that to me, in a way, this Minibrute speaks to me in a spiritual way the Prodigy did that the Phatty does not.

Ah, okay I see your point. Quite true. Let's not let this spiral downward into a Minibrute vs. Prodigy thread, but I really want a Prodigy!!!!

Matthew Joseph Payne

Sequential Circuits Pro One, y'all. heart

Madison, Alabama
kineticturtle wrote:

Sequential Circuits Pro One, y'all. heart

Please sir, can you spare a Pro One?