Santa Cruz, California

Sooooooo... Yeah, I didn't work on the keyboard today.
BUT!
I do have a good reason why.

Bit Trip Saga.
Signed by the development team!

SANTA CRUZ LOCALS, BABY!

Hoping to get a chance to meet Edmund McMillan (creator of Super Meat Boy) who is also a Santa Cruz local.

Santa Cruz, California

It's been ages... so, how the hell are ya?
I'm doing good(ish) so let's cut the crap and get back to work!

Well, I dragged out the keyboard.
I sure did leave everything a mess. I don't exactly remember where I left off, so we're entering the proverbial "Zone of Discovery"!

I left a TON of wires hanging, and I didn't label anything.
Luckily, the inside still looks pretty well sorted.

Couldn't tell you which one controls volume and which one's for the contrast.

Soldered some shit back together.

Dammit!

Time to do some trouble shooting.

Cleveland, OH

AWESOME! I wonder if the gauge of wire you're using for the cart connector is too thick though.. Seems like it could cause problems.

Santa Cruz, California

It's a matter of finding the balance. I was originally using ribbon cable, but it was too thin for the distance I was trying to span... and it seems that wire I'm using is too thick for the shorter distance.

Unfortunately, I just broke my cart port, and need to get a new one.

Anyway, I'm going back to using the ribbon cable. I think it will be perfect for the three inches I want to travel.
In the mean time; I might as well load the flash cart software onto my laptop (hadn't done that yet)

Clean all of the built up flux from the motherboard...

...and do a little bodywork.

Now I just need to procure (yet another) DMG to butcher.

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (Apr 27, 2013 10:43 pm)

Cleveland, OH

Awesome. Can't wait for every update. I've always wanted to build something similar. Not as intense as this really but similar.

thursdaycustoms wrote:

I wonder if the gauge of wire you're using for the cart connector is too thick though.. Seems like it could cause problems.

Nah...It'd only be too thick if he couldn't fit it through the pads. Thicker wires have less resistance. Typically you'll want things to be bigger rather than smaller in electronics. Wires, traces, components etc... For heat reasons, resistance and noise reduction, and other various reasons.

Maine

where did the cart slot come from?

Santa Cruz, California
Apeshit wrote:
thursdaycustoms wrote:

I wonder if the gauge of wire you're using for the cart connector is too thick though.. Seems like it could cause problems.

Nah...It'd only be too thick if he couldn't fit it through the pads. Thicker wires have less resistance. Typically you'll want things to be bigger rather than smaller in electronics. Wires, traces, components etc... For heat reasons, resistance and noise reduction, and other various reasons.

Like I said: I need to do some troubleshooting. I think the thicker wires were causing very small solder bridges. I'll balance it out, and get it working.

TheBronyChip wrote:

I carefully cut it out and filed it flush and perfectly square... time consuming.

Santa Cruz, California

My younger brother said he'd send me one of his dead DMG's.
He lives in Wisconsin, and I have no idea when he'll actually send it, so now I get to play the waiting game...

Heh, ゲムボイ.
I've got a dead mobo here I'd be more than happy to donate to you if you pay for the shipping.
Last I checked the cart slot worked just fine.

Cleveland, OH

If you just need a few good backboards then I would be happy to sell you some. I also have a few loose cart connectors if you need those as well. PM me if you're interested. They could ship out tomorrow.

Maine
Teh D3th St4r wrote:
TheBronyChip wrote:

I carefully cut it out and filed it flush and perfectly square... time consuming.

ooh ok it looked like the one from the mega memory card which i seem to have problems with

Santa Cruz, California

Amidst being incredibly poor, and unable to purchase the needed hardware for my keyboard (which will be rectified this evening) I came up with another amazing/weird/stupid idea.
I like to think of it as the "All-of-the-Mods Boy"

It's just some stacked up plastic and loose knobs right now (I realize there's plenty of switches and knobs and shit that will need to be included) but I really like the concept. It's thin enough to hold and manipulate, but big enough to fit (essentially) every possible mod you'd want.

Discuss.

UK, Leicester
Teh D3th St4r wrote:

Amidst being incredibly poor, and unable to purchase the needed hardware for my keyboard (which will be rectified this evening) I came up with another amazing/weird/stupid idea.
I like to think of it as the "All-of-the-Mods Boy"

It's just some stacked up plastic and loose knobs right now (I realize there's plenty of switches and knobs and shit that will need to be included) but I really like the concept. It's thin enough to hold and manipulate, but big enough to fit (essentially) every possible mod you'd want.

Discuss.

Dude, I love you, you think of some of the most amazing shit. The idea sounds interesting, and I can't wait to see what you do with it.

San Diego
Teh D3th St4r wrote:

The fact that you have a jar of peanut butter on your work table makes me respect you all the more.

Last edited by Vile (May 10, 2013 7:10 am)

clovis CA

start a list...
prosound (1/8, 1/4, and rca)
bivert
back light
internal arduinoboy
variable clock
half clock
over clock
ps2 port
and the most necessary. case lights.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAzT11Pb … r_embedded