Sweden

I can't agree that digitally recording analog synthesizers defeats the purpose of using them. They're tools in their own regard, and they'll do whatever it is they do, however the rest of the toolchain looks like, as much as the rest of the toolchain will.

Speaking of Dave Smith stuff... Anyone had any fun with a desktop Evolver?

Boulder, CO

Roland Alpha Juno is the only synth I didn't sell so I guess it's my favorite by default. I don't have the heart to get rid of my hoover machine.

Austin, TX

I'm a Korg man, MS2000, MicroKorg, circuit bent Kaossillator, and KP2. Looking to get a Moog eventually.
n00bstar - There are ways to record with analog equipment and digital at the same time. The way I have my analog toys set up is my synths going through a Behringer mixer going to a Sony VSC tape deck, then to a Fostex A4 reel-to-reel, then to the Mbox for ProTools. By having them wired in a chain, it makes it sooooo much easier to get a good recording on multiple formats, plus once it gets to the Mbox, it has a VERY nice cripsy analog distortion to it. I definitely agree that if you're really going for the pure analog sound, then it's kinda pointless to have your analog instruments recorded solely with digital equipment. The analog instruments produce the sexy sounds, but without the "fuzz" that you get with analog recording equipment, it's pretty much the same as using midi patches on Reason or some other VST program. I wouldn't say that it defeats the purpose of using them, because it's always more fun IMO to use actual analog hardware over software in any scenario. It's all personal preference though.

Matthew Joseph Payne

I've owned and used a lot of synths. The only things I've really kept are my massively rebuilt Sequential Circuits Pro One, and a Nord Lead 3.

UK
Lazerbeat wrote:

I wrote a love letter to my DX11 a while back

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/7419/ … re-is-why/

Absolutely adore my TX81Z.

FM synthesis is just so beautifully harmonically rich that all that analogue subtractive lowpass mud no longer satisfies me.

Last edited by PROTODOME (Mar 31, 2013 3:39 am)

Berkeley, CA

Yamaha An1x
Yamaha Tx81z
Notation Xstation

I'll never part with them.

'nerd

The Novation A-Station has some pretty neat sounds but fuck me it's a bitch to program.
Bought a Kawai K4r recently, nice sounds good sounds sweet sounds hell yes

Planet Zaxxon

My top favorites are (ones that I plan to use for the rest of my life):

Roland Juno JX8P
Roland Juno 106
Roland Alpha Juno
Roland MT-32
Ensoniq SQ80
Yamaha YS200

They are all great in their own way! smile

I do still have a DX7 though,, which I never really delved into yet.. which I should.

perth, WA

Waldorf Microwave XT

orange county, CA

All i have synth wise is a microkorg, but man how much i want a roland SH09, wooooo

Nottingham, UK

Yamaha FB01. Bitch to edit sometimes but gorgeous once you get it open.

brooklyn, NY

Sequential Circuits prophet 600- the worlds first (commercially available)  midi synth.
Dark and moody- does 'dawn of the dead' soundtrack by default.
Has some faults, but overall an amazing analog poly with a very cool arpeggio/ sequencer.
(tho' maybe Im biased - I got mine for free-found it in the attic of an old apartment!)

I know you're all talkin' keys, but this is a good opportunity to mention/brag about my replica 1929 RCA 1264 Theremin (as seen in my profile image)
The RCA theremin was the very first all-electronic musical instrument and the grandfather/cornerstone of all electronic music. Also it is played entirely without touching any any part of it.
I built this one last year  with some parts from  old RCA Radiola Am radio.   Has 80+ year old tubes the size of 100w incandescent bulbs and huge hand-wound coils.   Check out more on my site:   www.charliehobbs.com

Last edited by Charbot (May 22, 2013 2:53 pm)

Los Angeles, CA

I just fell back asswards into borrowing an Alesis Ion long-term.  I love it so far, plus, it is literally smeared with the blood of the previous owner (he's still alive)