Earth
iLKke wrote:
breakphase wrote:

I'm dissatisfied with the noise channel in general on c64. I think it's 4 bit or something; it's not as raspy as I like. Anyway a highpass filter helps with hihats, for me.

True, I was just about to say the SID noise is teh shiz.

Curious to know more about the raspy noise that you are talking about, breakphase

Oh I guess I was just talking about the 1-bit noise from nes/atari/etc.. it has a little more grit I think because it has a low bit depth. And the drums from that are a little harder in my experience. I don't even know if I'm right about c64 being 4-bit, it just sounds too smooth for me a lot of times. Just a taste thing though.

4mat wrote:

$81,$80 =   noise waveform. NATIVE WAVEFORM.

$82-$83,$86-$87 = a slight SYNC effect.
$88-$8f =   reset noise
$90-$bf =   not used (do not use: the noise dies)
$c0..$cf =  rare extras(*)
$d0..$ef =  not used (do not use: the noise dies)
$f0..$f7 =  (*) rare extas: resets the internal pseudo random
             generator...
$f8..$ff =  : resets the internal pseudo random generator,
             so the noise waveform play different, on some sids the
             selected noise sounds more "metallic" depending on the
             value and running SID cycles and other status.
             Usage: first $f9, then $81

Wow I did not know about these, thanks!

4mat wrote:

Strange, it's the most versatile noise osc on 8-bit hardware.  I remember when the 8-bit consoles came in it was such a disappointment how limited the Nintendo and Sega ones were to work on in comparisom.

I love everything else about the sid. It's closer to a "real synth" than everything else, but the noise might be a little "too good" for me... "double quotes!"

Last edited by breakphase (Jul 6, 2013 5:38 pm)

I've emailed the SidDump creator to ask if it wouldn't be too difficult to update the tool to work with multispeed tunes. I'll let you guys know if I hear back.
It's still very useful for single speed though. I ripped a nice kick drum sound from a Mortimer Twang tune. smile

Anyone have advice for designing multispeed instruments/tracks?

SidDump has been updated to v1.05 with "partial support for multispeed tunes".

When I asked if updating SidDump to work with multispeed tunes would be difficult, the creator said:

theoretically it can be difficult, as it may require emulating the full CPU + CIA timer + IRQ environment, which SidDump doesn't really do. However, there may be a simple option of just breaking out when/if the init routine gets stuck into a loop, and executing the code pointed to the interrupt vector as each frame's play call. It may not work for all tunes though.

and:

check SIDDump 1.05 which was just released. It is not entirely foolproof (depends on how complicated code the player interrupt runs). Some multispeed tunes may work, others perhaps not.