Huddersfield, UK

I wake up and this thing is dead in the water? Sucks.

Like others, I don't think that the venue cancelled on the show because of internet chatter, but probably because from the start there was a massive misjudgement on how big this scene actually was on a global scale (in terms of gig turnout). As the venue seemed to be only interested in making money from drinks then I guess they bailed (if that's true) because of the predicted lack of alcohol sold. b3tabot and pals would have also lost lot more money too if the show went ahead which I wouldn't have liked to see.

I hope either he or somebody else will stick around a lot longer before trying to organise a show of that scale next time, I don't think they had bad intentions but really lacked a lot of knowledge about chipmusic which in my opinion led to it's downfall. With a few years under their belt they would have known what artists to book, the best venues to play at, how many people turn out to chipmusic shows etc etc. All this being done on a public forum just looked unprofessional and that's what led to the negative undertones.

The scene lives on anyway smile (or does it?1?!)

Australia
J&HT wrote:

Lol ++ !!   I know you are only joking, but reality check here in case anyone forgot.  The "scene", or so called chip-scene has been around since the early 80's, certainly on C64. (eg. http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/view … amp;zoom=1  or  http://pouet.net/prod.php?which=16767)  Cracks had cool tunes on them aaaallll the time.  Demoparties and copy-parties were the popular outlet for such tunes and releases years before the big concert phenomenon that has sprung up in the last decade.  I guess the only difference is that there are now options to play tracks live - although DJ'ing C64's and the like has always existed.  At the end of the day, the core chipscene has always been about the tunes being spread by floppy (1980's) / BBS (1990's) / Internet (2000's) and the community hanging out via cracktro shouts / diskmags / BBS / online / real-world.  I don't see this ending any time soon!

Thumbs up at B-bot for having a shot at putting on a show and taking the chance. Crap that it didn't work out.  At least it has given us all all a glimpse of the possibility of a bigger summer show.  Don't get me wrong - I love Blip - but that snow is f**king cold. 

Let us hope this whole situation transpired for a reason.  Will we see something else to happen in it's place...?  I haven't ruled out jumping on a plane just yet as long as the flights stay under $1500.

Last edited by cTrix (Apr 6, 2010 9:48 am)

ad-hell-aide

http://chipflip.wordpress.com/chipmusic/

lolusa
cTrix wrote:
J&HT wrote:

Lol ++ !!   I know you are only joking, but reality check here in case anyone forgot.  The "scene", or so called chip-scene has been around since the early 80's, certainly on C64. (eg. http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/view … amp;zoom=1  or  http://pouet.net/prod.php?which=16767)  Cracks had cool tunes on them aaaallll the time.  Demoparties and copy-parties were the popular outlet for such tunes and releases years before the big concert phenomenon that has sprung up in the last decade.  I guess the only difference is that there are now options to play tracks live - although DJ'ing C64's and the like has always existed.  At the end of the day, the core chipscene has always been about the tunes being spread by floppy (1980's) / BBS (1990's) / Internet (2000's) and the community hanging out via cracktro shouts / diskmags / BBS / online / real-world.  I don't see this ending any time soon!

Thumbs up at B-bot for having a shot at putting on a show and taking the chance. Crap that it didn't work out.  At least it has given us all all a glimpse of the possibility of a bigger summer show.  Don't get me wrong - I love Blip - but that snow is f**king cold. 

Let us hope this whole situation transpired for a reason.  Will we see something else to happen in it's place...?  I haven't ruled out jumping on a plane just yet as long as the flights stay under $1500.

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/1087/ … case-2010/

this is still happening in my neck of the woods smile

R.I.P Chipmusic 2006 - 2010

NEVAR 4GET

NO MATTER WHAT

London, UK

it's weird I was listening to this on the tube this morning.....

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO B-B-B-B-B-BREAKER!

NSW, Australia

When i read "No matter what", i instantly think of Frens by 10k.

☺☺☺

Last edited by Emar (Apr 6, 2010 12:46 pm)

London, UK
Emar wrote:

I emailed offering to play out of my own pocket. I live IN NEW YORK STATE. he said he would get back to me, he never did and sabrepulse got booked instead.

I was one of the first people to be approached about this gig when I met roger in person at the start of march.

Last edited by Sabrepulse (Apr 6, 2010 11:53 am)

☺☺☺

Last edited by Emar (Apr 6, 2010 12:46 pm)

London, UK

you're making it sound like he went for me instead of you, which is a  ridiculous thing to even bring up!

Last edited by Sabrepulse (Apr 6, 2010 11:56 am)

☺☺☺

thats not my intent(despite the ALLCAPS making it seem as such tongue). Based on this all falling through maybe going immediatly for bigger name, overseas acts wasnt such a good idea(if there wasnt money to pay for it)

my mail wasnt even replied to. Im an artist in my own right, i deserve that respect

NSW, Australia

Can't we all be frens ?

Hey everyone,
I just thought it would be really f*cked up for me disappear and never address any last comments on what turned out to be a show which never materialized.

- First, trust me when I tell you I am the MOST disappointed with the cancellation of this show. I worked, traveled and assisted to countless meetings for months to get this off the ground. To know all this went nowhere makes me angry and also very sad that I will not get to see the show which most of us hoped for.

- The decision to cancel this show was never mine. I was shut down. It literally all went down in a couple of minutes when the venue called us in, informed us that this show had raised MANY concerns which were not in the best interest for them or the people they work with, and then the domino effect came in when one of our investors had enough and abandoned the project. The financial fallout of the event has affected all 4 parties involved and we plan to pursue diplomatic ways to see how we can recover some of our investment. The word "canceled" was actually never used, they just pulled the plug on us leaving us wondering what to do next, which we felt was alert everyone ASAP that the show was a no-go so no fans or artists would keep making preparations to something that had just collapsed. Specially when our financial backbone had walked out of the door.

- I DO NOT BLAME the community AT ALL. I LOVE THIS SCENE more than anyone else. We were made to sign legal documentation where the specifics of the wording used in the thread which led to the beginning of the fallout cannot be disclosed simply to maintain and protect the reputation of the people involved. I personally wouldn't mind coming here and point fingers but that would be a real assh*le move from me and I wouldn't want people to blame one or two individuals alone for a project that hundreds were planning to be a part of.  BTW, for the people who have asked me in emails countless times if something happened behind the scenes... YES IT DID. However, to flat out come here and talk about the incident would be adding fuel to the fire and at this point I don't want to stir up even more BS and thread trolling.

- I encourage fellow promoters and artists to take advantage and pick up the pieces to plan out some summer shows with at least some of the people we had in our lineup. They all have allocated the time in their schedules to perform at the end of May in NY, so I would encourage to try and book them. Sabrepulse has round trip tickets which I do no plan to cancel. This is a great opportunity for a promoter to book a headliner. Sabrepulse: Ask for a performance fee, the promoter is getting you at no cost, so make sure you get paid.

- I wouldn't mind trying to fix this mess by starting a lower scale event with the remaining members of my team, but with the excitement gone and their hopes for a Chip-Con completely ruined...  they are right now in a mental discouragement which has made them not want to be a part of anything related to chip music, at least for the time being. Specially when our reputations are questionable.

- I've received a lot of email pointing out the fact that the chip music scene IS ready for a large scale event of this kind and I agree. This was part of one of the disagreements inside our team. Don't hold me alone accountable for thinking people would've not shown up to this event because I always knew people would, but these views were not the same for all 4 of us.

- I am specially hurt by the fact that my aspirations as a chip musician will be hurt by this. I had been preparing an album for a while under my b3tabot name and now from this fallout I am very skeptic my music would ever be taken seriously.

- I wouldn't mind giving Chip-Con another chance at some point in the future, but it would have to be a very distant future when all the disappointment has passed and people's hopes are more positive. I guess this is all a learning experience.

Thanks to the people who supported this from day one. You all know who you were even though some of you are very angry right now, saying "f*ck you" to me in emails, I want to let you know that your help was and always will be appreciated

- Thank you all and hopefully we'll see each other again in the future.
- b3tabot

PS: The show was going to happen "no matter what". At least that's what you think when you have a contract signed. I guess contracts are not as solid as we all think they are. = (.  Also, to clear the post before this one. Sabrepulse was booked first. = ) Emar, sorry I didn't have the time to get back to you but as you could imagine I did not have much time to get back to each and every artist.

Last edited by B3tabot (Apr 6, 2010 2:34 pm)

New York City
cTrix wrote:

Lol ++ !!   I know you are only joking, but reality check here in case anyone forgot.

No, man, this is fruitless. It's not that anyone forgot. The "scene" mentioned so much here is the game boy-centric activity generated in the 2ks. What's a Komador? Floppy what? tongue wink . Unfortunately what we refer to is pretty much ignored outside of the demoscene enthusiasm. sad

Sabrepulse wrote:

I am so disappointed in all of this. Roger paid for my plane ticket outright so from my perspective I had no reason to assume there wasn't an event.[...]I've booked time off work that can't be cancelled, and turned down two gig offers over the period that I would be away (loss of earnings!)

You sound very negative for someone that just got a free vacation to New York and the only person on this event getting paid to play (and even got effectively paid already!). You should get some shows, nothing stops you from doing that if you want at least some of the profit you could have gained while staying! Bravo to you for getting a proper deal.
For the rest I assume this could be a good learning experience on how to deal with bookings. If there are any risks involved, WHY would YOU take them? That's the booker's responsibility, not yours.

I believe whoever is stuck going there can get something done.

As to the organization, if there truly was so much love for "the scene", you would knock up an event regardless. Venue canceled? Get a new one. Expectations were too high? Oh boy yes, so cut down and make a smaller event. In NYC even a 400 people event would be a hit. Need money? Most artists are (sadly) paying or already paid their expenses to go there, so there shouldn't be much needed.

There are a million things to learn here so I guess this event could indeed help teh activity grow, by learning from mistakes.