New Albany Indiana

Can you customize the size of the fonts? you know, for the older people.

HardstyleFox: EDIT: Gonna change this to a yes, I found where the palette data is stored on the ROM, I just need to decipher it and play with the settings.

Bit wish: No, sorry sad The letters are displayed as 8x8 pixel tiles, not much I can do to change that.

Everyone else: I'll see what I can do with the font requests. It's actually not that hard of a process and I might post a tutorial once I streamline it. If I streamline it, that is.

Last edited by dawsx (Apr 28, 2013 7:32 pm)

Noob alert:  How do I run an .ips file?

damelday wrote:

Noob alert:  How do I run an .ips file?

Lunar IPS. Run it, select the IPS, select your LSDj ROM, and hit enter. Added that to the main post.

Last edited by dawsx (Apr 28, 2013 7:53 am)

Shweet.  Danke, dawsx...

Murcia, Spain

Beautiful.
Thanks!

Nottingham, UK

Remember that guy who used to advertise that he'd make you custom LSDJ fonts in any thread he posted?

I miss that guy.

Last edited by ForaBrokenEarth (Apr 28, 2013 12:13 pm)

Added a new font, Terminus:

I like how it turned out. Download here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/zwnlwm

The zip file has 3 patches, one for each font slot. They're named by the default font they replace. If you've already patched with the first one I posted, these will just overwrite one of the fonts and leave everything else as it was.

Last edited by dawsx (Apr 28, 2013 9:44 pm)

Czech republic

I could never be bothered to patch LSDJ with alternative fonts. Terminus is going to be the first one. Thanks!

Last edited by ashimoke (Apr 28, 2013 10:14 pm)

Riverside, CA

washington

terminus and mario are groovy

Added another, C64:

It's the font from the Commodore 64, which it turns out looks a great deal like the default font, just without the anti-aliasing attempt. I'm honestly not too fond of how it turned out, but meh. Download here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/vxk9x3

Same deal, 3 patches, one for each font slot.

I also found a bunch of low-pixel fonts on Google that I've been messing around with. I tried Comic Sans and Helvetica, and while some flavors of Helvetica can look alright at 7pt, Comic Sans loses what makes it Comic Sans. I haven't done the legwork on Helvetica, but I have all the graphics I need to port it in.

Also would anyone be interested in all-lowercase versions of some of these fonts?

Last edited by dawsx (Apr 29, 2013 7:20 am)

Riverside, CA

Yes. Lower case terminus would look pretty nice!

United Kingdom

So, how would one start in making custom fonts?
sounds like a fun hobby.

Tile Layer Pro. Despite the name, it's a free program. It has a feature where you can import and export parts of the data as bitmaps, so I use that and MS Paint together and I can go from nothing to a new font in about an hour. I found the tiles by scrolling through the data until I saw letters, but to make things easier I'll just post the starting addresses here:

KIKO:
Regular: 0x786BE
Inverted: 0x78BB0
Shaded BG: 0x79082

Y2K:
Regular: 0x79554
Inverted: 0x79A46
Shaded BG: 0x79F18

OLD:
Regular: 0x7A3EA
Inverted: 0x7A8DC
Shaded BG: 0x7ADAE

If you're using a CGB, the only one you need to change is the Regular, because the CGB just changes the palettes of tiles to do highlighting effects. The DMG can't do that, though, so if you're a DMG user you need to change the Inverted and Shaded BG fonts as well. Just mind the color scheme and keep stuff aligned.

To change the name, use a hex editor. I use Hexposure, but that's because I'm weird and don't mind having to run an application through DOSBox (Hexposure is too old to run on 64-bit Windows). There are probably better options, you just need something that lets you search the ROM for ASCII text. All of the text in the game is in UPPER CASE ASCII, so search "Y2K", "OLD", or "KIKO" to find and change the name.

And to make the patch, I use Lunar IPS, the same program for applying patches. Makes things very easy.

Last edited by dawsx (Apr 29, 2013 3:26 pm)