LA:CA

How does one fix battery corrosion on the PCB contact I want to start my first mod but this crap is getting in the way anyone know a method of curing this so i can finally proceed with my work

If you have a moderately decent iron capable of heating the pads, just remove the battery contacts, soak them in vinegar, then resolder them.

Taichung, Taiwan

I use a dremel

katsumbhong wrote:

I use a dremel

thats like a mini sander right?

Apeshit wrote:

If you have a moderately decent iron capable of heating the pads, just remove the battery contacts, soak them in vinegar, then resolder them.

I'm not really pro at soldering so I'm hoping for the most simplest method

A cleaning product called CLR will dissolve all corrosion in 10 minutes.  Just soak in a glass cup.

Melbourne, Australia

Get cotton wool tips (the kind people clean their ears with), get some white vinegar, dip the tips in the vinegar, scrub the corrosion. It melts off like nothing big_smile

UK, Leicester
Calavera wrote:

Get cotton wool tips (the kind people clean their ears with), get some white vinegar, dip the tips in the vinegar, scrub the corrosion. It melts off like nothing big_smile

SPORK94 wrote:
katsumbhong wrote:

I use a dremel

It's a rotary tool. A wire brush should do the job pretty well.

Calavera wrote:

It worked big_smile

I stript my screws on the next one i was cleaning though D:<

Melbourne, Australia
SPORK94 wrote:

It worked big_smile

Yay! Excellent to hear. I remember the first time I did it, I couldn't believe how easy it was to fix something a lot of people would simply throw away. Then I went around fixing everything else in my house, heh.

NC in the US of America

Would contact cleaner spray work just as well? I bought some at radio shack some years ago to clean my guitar's pots, but I never hear anybody mention that stuff on this forum as a solution for anything ever.

Sweeeeeeden

There's only one way to find out, right?

NC in the US of America

Yeah. I actually have used the contact cleaner spray to clean battery contacts in a few things, including my Gameboy. It worked, but I also got the stuff all inside the system with my indiscriminate spraying. I don't think it hurt anything, though, since that's what it's designed for?

I just find it interesting that nobody ever mentions contact cleaner here. it's convenient to be able to spray it into hard to reach places, especially with the straw extension. But I guess that's not really needed in most game system modding applications, especially with cheap vinegar and alcohol available.

Sweeeeeeden

Oh. Open the Gameboy and take the contacts out so you can rinse them afterwards. Obviously that's more work if the problem is with the one of the contacts that are connected to the motherboard, but I've found that in most cases people have apparently stored 'boys in a position that makes the battery acid run down to the bottom contacts only.

New Albany Indiana
SPORK94 wrote:
katsumbhong wrote:

I use a dremel

Apeshit wrote:

I'm not really pro at soldering so I'm hoping for the most simplest method

I cant get you a link right now, but nonfinite has a pretty good tut.

matt's mind

if you were wanting soldering tutorial, this is a really great resource: http://store.curiousinventor.com/guides/How_to_Solder