NC in the US of America

Well since your problem is solved, a little hijacking is in order...

nitro2k01 wrote:

Oh. Open the Gameboy and take the contacts out so you can rinse them afterwards. Obviously that's more work if the problem is with the one of the contacts that are connected to the motherboard, but I've found that in most cases people have apparently stored 'boys in a position that makes the battery acid run down to the bottom contacts only.

I don't think I'd have to rinse it after spraying with electronic contact cleaner, since the stuff evaporates and doesn't leave any residue.

I finally got my Gameboy open, and...

Looking from the back of the Gameboy, I have to adjust the battery farthest to the right in order for the Gameboy to power on. That's the only one that has problems. Looking at the contact from the inside, it looks pretty horrible. Is it dangerous to get vinegar on the PCB?

There're also other points of corrosion, and my speaker doesn't get as loud as it should.

Other than that, it seems to function fine other than some vertical lines. Headphones jack works,
buttons, and everything else.

After I closed it back up I found what appears to be a tiny green piece of the PCB sticking to the side of my Gameboy. It has the number "6" on it. >_>

Last edited by SketchMan3 (May 9, 2013 5:41 am)

LA:CA
kitsch wrote:

if you were wanting soldering tutorial, this is a really great resource: http://store.curiousinventor.com/guides/How_to_Solder

Thanks kitsch, this was helpful and informative

SketchMan3 wrote:

Well since your problem is solved, a little hijacking is in order...

I'm fine with that smile