Warwickshire, UK
herr_prof wrote:

I was thinking about this but didnt find a lot of great stuff.

Good conversation:
http://www.fiddleforum.com/fiddleforum/ … xer/32107/

Ha, that's the forum I own and run... chiptune and fiddle are getting closer together big_smile

Unsubscribe

Small world indeed!

ashimoke wrote:

I'd use this:

You don't really need the pots, but since it's such simple build I'd add them for more functionality you might find usefull later (fading etc.). You'd have to use a pair of dual audio pots. You might also do sort of pan control...

all of the audio jacks (the three inputs and one output) are all TS = mono, correct? so the output is a mono signal? i am planning on building this this week smile

Unsubscribe

right but you can easilly use trs jacks and stereo pots instead.

herr_prof wrote:

right but you can easilly use trs jacks and stereo pots instead.

ah ok i figured- thank you!

defPREMIUM wrote:
ashimoke wrote:

I'd use this:

You don't really need the pots, but since it's such simple build I'd add them for more functionality you might find usefull later (fading etc.). You'd have to use a pair of dual audio pots. You might also do sort of pan control...

all of the audio jacks (the three inputs and one output) are all TS = mono, correct? so the output is a mono signal? i am planning on building this this week smile

just another question- i have two pots on me, one is 500k, one is 10k.. will the 10k still function ok? and the resistors i have are 680-ohm. i saw that timbob mentioned these would work ok and i'm just interested to see if i can get away with using what i have on hand rather than having to go buy more wink

sorry for the noobish questions- i am still learning!

Finland

Yeah. I'm sorta thinking my next little project should be a passive mixer. As a learning experience mostly, but also since that would be a lot smaller and easier to carry around than my 502.

But I'm having a little trouble understanding how you'd connect it if you'd use a stereo pot and stereo jacks instead.
The A500K stereo pot looks like this right? Click here for awesome picture.
And it has 6 legs? Stereo left + right In, stereo left + right Out and two Ground pins? Is that it?...

Last edited by my.Explosion (Jun 4, 2013 12:41 pm)

Basically, those are 2 pots on top of each other, so you use the top 3 pins for left, and the bottom for right. (Or the other way around, just what you want wink )

Finland

Ahh ok. I get it now. Thanks! smile I'm going to fashion a tight little box with two stereo pots for controlling two input channels. I think it's going to be a sweet little project. smile

Last edited by my.Explosion (Jun 4, 2013 1:15 pm)

Brisbane, Australia
Timbob wrote:

Basically, those are 2 pots on top of each other, so you use the top 3 pins for left, and the bottom for right. (Or the other way around, just what you want wink )

I'm confused. Does it work as like audio balance between left and right?
Or does it work the same as having two separate pots, just with one control?

The second one.

2 pots, with just one knob.

Brisbane, Australia
Timbob wrote:

The second one.

2 pots, with just one knob.

Awesome. I'm gathering parts to make a pocket amplifier - due to the fact my galaxy note 2's audio is quiet compared to iphones/ipods.
I'm going to see what i can do and maybe make an amplified mixer!

Finland

Uhm. I came back with another question. While we're on the subject. So is there generally indicators on potentiometers where the ground should be wired?
My only similar experience is with a simple switch, the middle leg on that switch is a bit longer than the left and right which sorta indicate that ground should be connected to that.

Is it similar for potentiometer or have I misunderstood this completely?

Unsubscribe

it depends which way you want the pot to turn. Put the input on the center, and the output on the side of the pot you want to be at full vol. Then ground goes to the remaining unused pot.

Finland
herr_prof wrote:

it depends which way you want the pot to turn. Put the input on the center, and the output on the side of the pot you want to be at full vol. Then ground goes to the remaining unused pot.

Aha OK. I kinda thought it might be like this. Thanks. big_smile

Finland

Sooooooooo. I'm just back from havin' taken a whack at building my own two channel mixer.

It's got potentiometers and real nice stuff like that and it's a derivative off of the schematic visible just a few posts up but it has stereo jacks and stereo pots instead.

But I've run into one thing that confuses me. To test this setup out I plugged my headphones in and my two gameboys. It worked, surprisingly but the sound was very, very faint.
I know it has to do with the resistors I used so I did another test where I just routed them directly to the output jack and that got a lot louder. I guess my question is, is there a negative aspect to not having resistance? Please enlighten me.