I'm looking to translate some MK3 tunes into 8-bit NES/GB format.  I'm curious if any experienced MML musicians may be interested in helping put together a couple tracks.

Last edited by paulc (Mar 30, 2014 12:19 am)

Chicago IL

I was gonna say there was one for SMS, but that's just regular MK3

There is also MK Trilogy for the Tiger Game.Com (basically like the black & white GameBoy, but with more tile ram). But Ultimate MK3 was never released in 8-bit form. Not even as a NES pirate as far as I've seen

Last edited by paulc (Mar 30, 2014 12:20 am)

Alive and well in fucksville

I like where this is going..what tracks exactly and from which levels. i could punch them in to lsdj or nanoloop. I need pratice

babylon
bitjacker wrote:

I like where this is going..what tracks exactly and from which levels. i could punch them in to lsdj or nanoloop. I need pratice

i dont think that will quite work for songs that need to be implemented into a game. its cool you wanna help though, ive always been curious how much harder it is to use something like mml but id be lying if i said i would ever seriously try it.

buffalo, NY
Saskrotch wrote:

Whoa that is ridic

Chicago IL
danimal cannon wrote:
Saskrotch wrote:

Whoa that is ridic

I didn't think it was official, and assumed it was a hack of the GG version, but then wikipedia was all like

There was also a port for the Master System, which is nearly identical to the Game Gear version, although it was only released in Brazil by Tec Toy, distributor of Sega's products in that country.

Chicago IL
walter b. gentle wrote:

ive always been curious how much harder it is to use something like mml but id be lying if i said i would ever seriously try it.

I felt the same way, but then just dove into. MML basics are pretty easy to get your head around, but writing something really good takes patience and skill.

hey this looks fun. i'm quite experienced with mml; willing to help.

btw, i cofounded a neat mmlsite for ppmck(nes), it's as user friendly as mml gets so go give it a try : ))

http://mmlshare.com/

Only issue I've found with NES MML is the noise channel is different from the GameBoy's noise channel. But for writing the melody with the pulse channels, I've found your mml site helpful.

The goal  is to get everything as close to the Arcade version as possible.

Arcade Select Screen music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_ee8HIo1Wk

Arcade Desert music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mr2ynW55XY

Last edited by paulc (Mar 30, 2014 2:59 am)

Chicago IL
paulc wrote:

Only issue I've found with NES MML is the noise channel is different from the GameBoy's noise channel.

That's more of a hardware issue than actual MML. The two have noise channels that are different in a way that's really hard to put your finger on.

Proof of concept: (it's VERY hard to get good pictures of the GB screens, but it looks better in person, I guarantee).

Last edited by paulc (Mar 30, 2014 3:00 am)

Argentina

Please tell me that it will run like MK2 and not like MK3. MK2 is smother on GB

paulc, i'll piggyback on your mml and work out some sound design concepts that hit closer to the arcade texture. i'll post something here in the next 24 hours.

for the select screen, you could easily combine the chords, the choir texture and the melody into one pulse channel with some good arpy pwm tricks. the second pulse could act as the bass and i'll try to get pcm samples working with xpmck.

if not, the second pulse could easily double as bass+kick and snare when combined with the noise.

edit: hey yea, was checking out the original gameboy music for mk3, there's definitely a lot more detail that could have been squeezed out of the soundchip for this music. tho i wonder if the extra details would get in the way of resources and stuff.

Last edited by gyms (May 21, 2013 11:25 pm)

Chicago IL

Yo is that ermac or rain

okay, here's some pulse sound design using ppmck for the select screen: http://mmlshare.com/tracks/edit/450

i think these sound much closer to the arcade music's texture than the music from the original gameboy release. it'll really come together once i work the drums in, but it's useless to figure that out via ppmck.

i'm rustly with gameboy's specs, but i think these should transfer over to xpmck pretty well with a few adjustments. i'll work on getting this transferred over to xpmck, get some drums on the thing and hopefully have an actual gameboy rom for you to hear soon.