jackary wrote:

So i've just finished prosounding a gameboy that i've been working on, and i've bent the LCD cable too much to the point where some of the wire has snapped internally. I've not seen anyone replace a ribbon cable on an LCD before. Has anyone here had experience with this?

I've cut up an old PC IDE cable and i'm planning on using that to solder the wire straight to the back PCB.

Here's a picture of my DMG after the ribbon failed:

Here's the ribbon (I know, i need to teach myself how to stop bending them to get them in!):

And the (tiny) IDE cable that i'm planning on using:

Do the vertical lines that can be seen in the first picture are due to a bad ribbon cable but the one that connects both PCB together?, or due to the ribbon cable at the side of the LCD, the fragile one?

Brisbane, Australia
Retrogamer09 wrote:

Do the vertical lines that can be seen in the first picture are due to a bad ribbon cable but the one that connects both PCB together?, or due to the ribbon cable at the side of the LCD, the fragile one?

Vertical lines are a problem with the ribbon cable that is connected to the bottom-side of the LCD glass.

jackary wrote:
Retrogamer09 wrote:

Vertical lines are a problem with the ribbon cable that is connected to the bottom-side of the LCD glass.

My bad, I meant horizontal lines that can be seen in the picture.

Brisbane, Australia
Retrogamer09 wrote:
jackary wrote:

My bad, I meant horizontal lines that can be seen in the picture.

Usually horizontal lines are caused by the side ribbon connector. However, in this case, the problem was the ribbon cable connecting the front and back PCBs together.

Unknown

I HATE opening up my girls (gb's) I only do when I really have to. I'd go with the option above, buy a broken one off ebay or something and use the spare working parts, in your case the ribbon