Portsmouth

in bits of course wink hehe

Last edited by Dissonance (Jun 7, 2013 2:31 pm)

Sweden
Dissonance wrote:

I need to know the market before I spout whats in my head..

Similarly, we need to know what's in your head to make any useful assertions about the market size. I just don't think that asking how big "the market" for an unknown product is is the best way to find out. You'll get more dependable answers from asking strangers how intelligent they are.

Tokyo, Japan
Dissonance wrote:

in bits of course wink hehe

Ok, not trying to be an ass here but that was a perfectly legitimate question. This is starting to look like a troll thread.Be a good chap by proving it isnt and getting it nice and on topic and constructive?

matt's mind

you *could* be invigorated solely by the excitement of the scene and a close knit mindset, but i think you'll be disappointed because its inability to fill your purse.

Montreal, Canada

So basically, you're an outsider who has never had any interest in making chiptunes himself but see an emerging trend with the like 1% of the scene that is making any money with this and you think you can barge in and make this into the next big wave and cash in?

Let me be the first to be truly honest with you then: Fuck off mate. This way to the egress.

Portsmouth

Fair point.. but it's not for a product.. I was asking quite literally how big the market share for this side of music is, because I'm led to believe that there isn't any information on this as no-one has data mined the figures from various countries.. The question is literal, i just can't seem to find an answer.. I was wondering whether it is a large industry? or whether it is one that is growing? shrinking? or sitting on a plateu? Because whatever the state, I can work with it.. it just denotes how much time and work will be needed to be able to force growth. I'm still trundling the internet looking to find out just how much the industry contributes to UK GDP but to no avail.. it's no bother, I'll find a way wink I always do big_smile

Portsmouth

Noobstar I have 18 years of experience within a variety of genres.. your aggressive nature isn't appreciated here..

Last edited by Dissonance (Jun 7, 2013 2:57 pm)

Montreal, Canada

Somebody put him out of his misery pls.

BOSTON

oh my...

Portsmouth

I am not looking for a way to fill my purse wink I am looking for avenues in which to embrace and raise awareness of this side of the industry... my intentions are purely good I assure you..

My only question was, to ask just how big this industry is.. and see what I can do to help push things forward smile

Last edited by Dissonance (Jun 7, 2013 3:02 pm)

Tokyo, Japan
Dissonance wrote:

Fair point.. but it's not for a product.. I was asking quite literally how big the market share for this side of music is, because I'm led to believe that there isn't any information on this as no-one has data mined the figures from various countries..

You are going to run into a couple of pretty significant set of problems I think.

1 - What is chiptune? the tiredest and dullest argument on the forum, where are you going to draw your boundary? It is different in different countries.

2 - There are 3 or 4 revenue streams, music, shows, hardware/software, I don't really think people share their sales figures for music or profit and loss for shows with market researchers.

Portsmouth, Uk

After Watchin Dissonance Work On My Gameboy, I Know For A Fact That He Is Definately More Than an Outsider Lookin In.. Dissonance Isn't Even Tryin To Line The Insides Of His Pockets, But Tryin To Create Summit For Us Brits Who Dont Get Any Of The Delights Any Of The Rest Of You Pricks Get. We Have Seen No Blipfest Here And Sabrepulse Is So Far Up His Own Arse He Wont Even Chat To Me, Even Tho I Been In The Scene Since Before Yuppster Threw An Album Called "The Okinawa Campaign" (Which Is Still In Rotation On My mp3) Up On 8bitpeoples. The Fact Of The Matter Is We Will Be Creatin Summit For Us Over Here In the UK. The Reason We Still Play Nintendo Is Not For The Shitty Coded Games That Were Created But For The Music That Was Thrown In The Mix. The Music Is The Lifeforce That Had Lead To This Point After All.  Most Of You Guys Would Be Fuck All Without It, In Fact You Will All Probably Be Makin Dubstep (Waste Of Musical Space) Or Other Generic Boppy Bullshit.

Unsubscribe

What is it about chiptune that makes people think all it needs is a marketing savior?

Montreal, Canada

oh gawd.. first letter caps sure makes this look much more official. I retract all my statement and will vote Dissonance for president. An 18 years term, I will accept no less.

Tokyo, Japan

I thought we had Malcom Maclaren?

Nevar forget!

I'd be really interested to know what you think can bring to the table. If you think the market in the UK is untapped, you likely need to do some more market research. There are plenty of artists in the UK, resellers of mods and gaming stores that carry pro sound/backlit gameboys. I've had to leave a shop empty handed cuz the retro gaming shop I went to was already modding their own.

I applaud you for coming in dry here, but the chiptune scene isn't 'untapped' - if anything, it's thriving and alive. The problem is, there's no money in it. If there was, they wouldn't run Kickstarters, fundraisers etc just to have a fucking knees-up. If you come in thinking modding is easy, you'd be right, but being good takes enthusiasm.

As Jellica says, the beauty of the scene is for those who musically want to make something out of nothing. If you can't afford a Fender, you pull a gameboy out of the attic and buy a chinese cart. Many people with years of deep electronics experiences struggle to make a living off of it and they already have an established fan base and mind-blowing, ground-breaking ideas. Kitsch beat me to the punch but the way to get ahead in the scene is to be really, really into it (or drink the tears of your enemies helps) You can't fake enthusiasm.  Although don't let that stop you. Just don't think that people aren't 'trying' hard enough. Commercially, there's no value. Socially and emotionally: sure.

I recently returned a couple of gameboys to someone who had bought them stateside. The pro sound had gone on one, the screen had a bubble on the other. I took them apart, fixed them up and returned them. He asked if I wanted money. It was actually too much bother to even hook up a brother with a paypal account for a simple job. I'd got enjoyment out of it, and was happy to help. I'll bump into him at Superbyte and we'll have a beer and bond. This is pretty common in the scene so no amount of market research and two decades of running a business is going to allow you to undercut 'free'