boomlinde wrote:
SketchMan3 wrote:

4-bit and 1-bit get no love... sad

Well, show me a 4- or 1-bit computer that's ever been used to produce music.

Last edited by extreme zan-zan-zawa-veia (Jun 23, 2013 6:39 pm)

UK, Leicester
extreme zan-zan-zawa-veia wrote:
boomlinde wrote:

Well, show me a 4- or 1-bit computer that's ever been used to produce music.

Ha ha, oh god, that's brilliant!

Westfield, NJ
godinpants wrote:

animal intersection

i laughed audibly.

and just to be clear, the diving helmet is me. I asked the penguin what kind of music he likes, and this is what he said. he has plenty of musical gear in his house.

also in the same visit, he sold me an amp for cheap. that's a very chiptune thing to do.

the next day he said he wants to start wearing leopard print clothes.

we made it guys. we're famous now.

Last edited by Decktonic (Jun 23, 2013 9:33 pm)

NC in the US of America

was talking about the sound device, not the computer. Beeper, gameboy dpcm, that kind of stuff.
But if you really need a 4-bit computer there is the Gakken GMC-4

@2:15 Does that count as music?

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jun 24, 2013 4:25 am)

Sweden

That's pretty cool! But what about the sound device: what makes a particular device 4-bit? The Game Boy for example, has a bunch of 4-bit DACs, but panning, mixing and master volume multiplication of the channels seem to happen after d/a conversion, which I'd say this complicates classification a bit.

What devices qualify as being "8-bit"?

And what about the SID (More importantly, what about the Sony Dreamcast 4-bit)? My point here is that "8-bit" is more or less used as a catch-all for any blip-bloppy music, and in that context hardly refers to any tangible technical aspect of production.

NC in the US of America

lol i dunno big_smile but some people are starting to tag their music 4-bit and 1-bit and stuff.

This is a silly not-serious thread and I was just being silly even though there are 4-bit computers which produce music and computers with 1-bit sound devices so it's covered on all sides.

Also didn't somebody just recently create a tracker for a TI calculator to create 1-bit chipmusic?

1-bit and 4-bit gets no love ;_;

Sweden
SketchMan3 wrote:

lol i dunno big_smile but some people are starting to tag their music 4-bit and 1-bit and stuff.

This is a silly not-serious thread and I was just being silly even though there are 4-bit computers which produce music and computers with 1-bit sound devices so it's covered on all sides.

Also didn't somebody just recently create a tracker for a TI calculator to create 1-bit chipmusic?

1-bit and 4-bit gets no love ;_;

I'm just trying to raise the question, since this has been bugging me for a while. Not to rag on you, to be clear! It's just kind of annoying to me when people call Game Boy (or YM2149/AY equivalent) music "4-bit" (especially when they do it to correct someone calling it "8-bit") when there's really no technical basis to what distinguishes it from so called 8-bit music. Very few sound chips (can't think of any, really) typically used for 8-bit music would qualify as being "8-bit" in the terms that people use to say that Game Boy music is "4-bit".

And yes, there evidently are 4-bit computers which deliberately produce musical sound (probably also decimal computers and analog computers as well), but I think that they have little relevance in this context. BTW, going to have to order one of those Gakken computers!

California

heart animal crossing

NC in the US of America

Yeah. It's just a trend. Like how tagging stuff "8-bit" was a trend, I suppose.

boomlinde wrote:

And yes, there evidently are 4-bit computers which deliberately produce musical sound (probably also decimal computers and analog computers as well), but I think that they have little relevance in this context. BTW, going to have to order one of those Gakken computers!

Yeah. I just posted it since somebody asked me to show them one.