Brunswick, GA USA

The areceibo listen along release party streams are like that. Any of that can happen independent of cm.o as a medium.

What bothers me slightly is that as people transition toward Facebook pages and away from forums it makes the news thinner... It's just life and my own personal failure to embrace a different way of doing things.

I also continue to sense an invisible patricians v plebians vibe and a sense of "winners" as a matter of a person's perspective, but this happens everywhere, and isn't particular to cm.o. I am certain of it because whenever it is brought up the arguing continues until the thread is killed with no resolution.

NC in the US of America

4mat, we're not talking about chipmusic as a whole, we're talking about chipmusic.org specifically. There is way more to chipmusic than this place, but I don't have to tell you that. Just wanted to clear that up.

Sycamore Drive wrote:

I love that chipmusic.org doesn't get involved in these things officially because I don't want it to be defined by anything other than the tools we all use to make music. The total lack of an officially recognised competition winning track, or event featuring a few of the hundreds/thousands of artists here makes it apparent that all people and styles are welcomed here, and no-one is officially better than anyone else in the eyes of "chipmusic.org". Isn't that something you want to protect?

Good stuff, and I totally agree. That's one of the things I like about the current way it is. There is no single "The Man" unit who passes his judgement on our musics.

All you're really asking is for

you lost me here, though. Erroneous assumptions are not nice sad

I wasn't even thinking of any kind of competition. I was thinking more along the lines of "compilation" (yeah yeah I know everybody hates those), Let's make [theme themed] music events, etc where anybody can participate, but where there is incentive to try hard. It's not about being validated, it's just about having fun and doing something creative together as a group. No prizes. No money. Just time and creativity.

I just like it when things like that are sanctioned by administration, but I understand your point about "just do it yourself". Like the Stockwave thing that just happened.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jul 7, 2013 1:01 am)

Brunswick, GA USA

I've knocked around the thought of doing a Bossa Nova one, but I have too much committed right now.

barf

yep! "chipmusic.org" sponsored events would grab the imagination of what's a rather large group of people~ and it certainly doesn't have to be competitive or privileged to certain styles of music, it can very easily be a write along where people can listen to and enjoy everyone's music as a community

hmm, weekly beats was almost like that. i would love to do something like that again!

Nottingham, UK

How am I supposed to be a grumpy curmudgeon if I feel like I'm part of a welcoming and friendly community?

Last edited by ForaBrokenEarth (Jul 7, 2013 5:12 pm)