Abandoned on Fire
spacetownsavior wrote:

I wrote stuff about this a while ago: http://patricktrinh.wordpress.com/2013/ … s-fantasy/

That's an excellent article.  Well done.

oh wow, this thread sounds like mariooooo!!

Last edited by 4mat (Jul 17, 2013 7:56 pm)

Unsubscribe

ITS LIKE GEX AT A FOAM TENT

squidula wrote:

tetris on crack.

Let's make this a phrase.
Sounds pretty dope to me. I would be happy if someone said this about my music.

Melbourne, Australia

I really liked that last paragraph in the article. Specifically this sentence:

"It made a lot of sense to me when I heard that Anamanaguchi were doing the soundtrack to the Scott Pilgrim game. In some regards, Scott Pilgrim has aims similar to what I described chipmusic as — it’s not a recollection of being a nerd, but rather a reimagining of what being a nerd is like."

Florida

lol I'm going to the Orlando show.

"it’s not a recollection of being a nerd, but rather a reimagining of what being a nerd is like."

los angeles

free wiley

Gosford, Australia
herr_prof wrote:

ITS LIKE GEX AT A FOAM TENT

bubsy at a roller disco

matt's mind
extreme zan-zan-zawa-veia wrote:

"it’s not a recollection of being a nerd, but rather a reimagining of what being a nerd is like."

i sometimes really love your posts.  this especially

New Albany Indiana

What's 8bit music?

NC in the US of America

It's funny how the last segment of Patrick Trinh's article describes Anamanguchi's endless fantasy as exactly what a video game soundtrack should be. tongue

Edit: Especially this

The rest of the album is content to provide you with incredibly dense, rich soundscapes that don’t ask much of you other than your existence while each song plays. This participation is what really grabs me when listening

this

it’s about you and what you feel when existing in each soundscape (read: song). It’s an album almost perfectly designed to daydream to.

and this

Anamanaguchi, on Endless Fantasy, has written perhaps the best song I’ve ever heard that deals with snow, which is a specific example that really pinpoints what Anamanaguchi is good at doing — creating a space for you to think about your own experiences with a specific idea. Snow is the kind of thing that everyone has memories about that are almost too nuanced to explain to anyone else

except substitute "your own experiences in the memories of your mind" with "the overall vision of what the developers had in mind for the game" tongue

8bit music... right-click>open in sound recorder accessory>File>Convert>>Choose Format>8bit pcm>Ok>File>Save.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jul 18, 2013 8:57 pm)

SketchMan3 wrote:

8bit music... right-click>open in sound recorder accessory>File>Convert>>Choose Format>8bit pcm>Ok>File>Save.

This. Every other "8-bit cover" on YouTube.

San Diego, CA

I mean, a lot of it comes down to 4mat's line "Don't call it chipmusic."

And I also think that Anamanaguchi wishes that their audience wasn't so concerned with videogame nostalgia for nostalgia's sake. There are really constructive things that can come out of nostalgia! But more and more people seem obsessed with re-living their childhood for no reason other than to re-live their childhood, and I feel like Anamanaguchi's music is lumped in with that second crowd far more often than they'd like.

I think the dichotomy between nostalgia for nostalgia's sake and constructive nostalgia (nostalgia nostalgia nostalgia) is summed up pretty well here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmaCK2mGzd0

It's talking about Tupac's hologram but a lot of the points he makes can be applied to what we do.

EDIT: For reference's sake, in the video, Tupac = videogames. Tupac hologram = stuff like Video Games Live and shitty covers.

Last edited by spacetownsavior (Jul 18, 2013 11:06 pm)

TSSBAY01

anamanaguchi these days sounds more like sonic at a witchhouse gig to me