matt's mind

someone told me they had tried and the holes were not aligned so without some work it wasn't going to fit, but it entirely slips my mind who told me that, and i haven't tried it myself yet.

unsure atm.  i'll try it tomorrow or the day after when i get back in to town, and if it works i'll (for sure) post the info here!

kitsch wrote:

someone told me they had tried and the holes were not aligned so without some work it wasn't going to fit, but it entirely slips my mind who told me that, and i haven't tried it myself yet.

unsure atm.  i'll try it tomorrow or the day after when i get back in to town, and if it works i'll (for sure) post the info here!

I looked at crystal swapping options, not 100% sure if it will work. Case swap is a definite no-go for the GBC and GB Boy Colour.

matt's mind

POLL! we're doing two new button types (dmg/nes style): featureless, one has a gloss finish, the other matte (complimentary to another project). i really do listen to you guys on this stuff, and these reapproaches were spurred from talking with a customer even, so get on this and contribute or else i'll pick and thats no fun

http://poll.pollcode.com/cb2m4

matt's mind

some pages back in this thread people were asking about EL backlighting a pocket,

well, today, someone sent in their pics showing how they did this!  thanks so much Chris!  very much appreciated,

he warns:  it seemed to fit best by orientating the leads so they come out the side.  doing this means the leads must be bent a bit (see photos).  bending them must be done with extreme caution as the pads can lift from the EL material. 

but, check it out!  looks really great imo, really clean install

kitsch wrote:

some pages back in this thread people were asking about EL backlighting a pocket,

well, today, someone sent in their pics showing how they did this!  thanks so much Chris!  very much appreciated,

he warns:  it seemed to fit best by orientating the leads so they come out the side.  doing this means the leads must be bent a bit (see photos).  bending them must be done with extreme caution as the pads can lift from the EL material. 

but, check it out!  looks really great imo, really clean install

Matt, Thanks for this, It is exactly what I was looking for, I just ordered my EL DMG backlight kit to install it in my MGB.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Retrogamer09 (Jun 10, 2013 3:40 pm)

matt's mind

oh, you're welcome!

the bit about being careful with the bending is important, Chris said he actually tore one contact off the EL membrane when doing this, but with the little bit of pressure from the electrical tape got it working again.  so if this happens to you pressure is the thing to try to fix this (not heat),

i'm also going to offer the EL panels just by themselves as an option because people have been wanting to experiment with other inverters.  guess i'll just post here quickly when i get those up.  the PCB is the more expensive component in the kit, this would let people not be so tight arsed about messing up their one panel in the kit, if they can get spares on the cheap side.  hope so.  want to encourage diy and hacking

kitsch wrote:

oh, you're welcome!

the bit about being careful with the bending is important, Chris said he actually tore one contact off the EL membrane when doing this, but with the little bit of pressure from the electrical tape got it working again.  so if this happens to you pressure is the thing to try to fix this (not heat),

i'm also going to offer the EL panels just by themselves as an option because people have been wanting to experiment with other inverters.  guess i'll just post here quickly when i get those up.  the PCB is the more expensive component in the kit, this would let people not be so tight arsed about messing up their one panel in the kit, if they can get spares on the cheap side.  hope so.  want to encourage diy and hacking

Offering the EL panels by themselves sounds like a great idea, I will do my MGB with extra care; however is good to know that if I break it I can order the panel only for cheaper.

Now the question that I have is whether I should use one of the biverted MGB PCBs that I have, or if it would look better without being biverted.

I will probably try both and then choose.

Matt how much would the Panel only cost, any ideas?

Thanks!

matt's mind

its been a little too long since I ordered them to remember, i'll need to dig up the itemized list for the kit and see what i can do.

the real work in that kit was/is the PCB, the rest is just bulk parts, so it won't be that big of a deal.  thinking about this...  i suppose i should post some info on the EL panels, the powder we used is a high quality for example for a longer life. 

i'll just make a different product page and dig up the deets on the panels and get some info posted, won't be today for sure because i'm just getting back into town and have things piled up to do, so if you (or anyone else) is in need of those asap-ish just email/PM me and i can at least figure out a price quickly and get the ball rolling for you so you don't need to delay a project you might have in mind considering this.

kitsch wrote:

its been a little too long since I ordered them to remember, i'll need to dig up the itemized list for the kit and see what i can do.

the real work in that kit was/is the PCB, the rest is just bulk parts, so it won't be that big of a deal.  thinking about this...  i suppose i should post some info on the EL panels, the powder we used is a high quality for example for a longer life. 

i'll just make a different product page and dig up the deets on the panels and get some info posted, won't be today for sure because i'm just getting back into town and have things piled up to do, so if you (or anyone else) is in need of those asap-ish just email/PM me and i can at least figure out a price quickly and get the ball rolling for you so you don't need to delay a project you might have in mind considering this.

Well, now that you mention that, today I placed an order for one of them, one EL DMG kit; I am going to send you an email because I may be interested in getting an extra panel too with my order if that is possible.

matt's mind

ok!  no problem, i'll start looking for the papers now wink

So kitsch hasn't sent out a newsletter yet announcing that there are now white DMG shells and buttons available on the site but I noticed they are listed in the drop down menus.  There aren't pictures yet but I went ahead and ordered a bunch of buttons and a couple white shells.  Hopefully they are actually in stock and that wasn't an error because I want them now!

matt's mind

its not an error.

i was just dead tired last night, didn't get pictures done, so i figured i'd wait,

but, yeah, they are there.  all the button type, and cases.  'official' announcement coming later today

kitsch wrote:

its not an error.

i was just dead tired last night, didn't get pictures done, so i figured i'd wait,

but, yeah, they are there.  all the button type, and cases.  'official' announcement coming later today

Already ordered!  Yea!

Minneapolis

Kitch, do you know if the inverter is electrically noisy? Are there any shileding or placement considerations that need to be made for that reason?

matt's mind

yes, the inverter is a little noisy, i spent a lot of time trying to minimize this (in terms of frequency adjustments, etc, because there is a little leeway with EL tech), but the noise is still there.  tbh a lot of this comes from the EL panel itself.

keeping the PCB away from the speaker's magnet would be my first suggestion, apart from that its a little hard to find much room inside the console thats more protected than another.  the speaker is a bit of an antenna though, avoiding it is the main thing really.  the shrink wrap on the PCBs is to avoid people shocking themselves as easily (even though its not a bad one)

Milwaukee, WI

Btw, I know there wasn't plans to do so, but if grey shells were ever restocked... I'd buy a few. wink