matt's mind

^ thanks!  already addressed all these issues you mention but really appreciate the reminder (although, less an issue than just adding a couple 40 cent ICs).   

(@nitro2k01, you may recall me working on this years back, when i absolutely misread bit and bytes and designed a whole cart around this mistake...  i still feel really stupid about doing that but hey, i check every single time i do research now for making the same mistake again, i really appreciate all the help and thoughts you're willing to pour out to people in their struggles to learn and better educate themselves in this sort of endeavor)

and, thanks to everybody else for the thoughts on this!  i think there is some confusion, so again, i'm not planning on putting out the PCB files ready to print and whatever.  the PCB design itself is the sole element you'll need to tackle (just like how the project exists now).  as an individual, or as a group, or whatever.  i want to make it as explained as possible in the schematic and whatnot however, including little things like LEDs which (really) should be self-explanatory in a project of this technical scale.  so, a person with literally no electronics knowledge, but can read a schematic, could have a chance at using the info (verbatim) and it end up working.  which means i've got to really spell it all out, including basic LED hookups.  and label all resistor values, etc. 

everything else, up to that point, i am releasing.  in the spirit in which it was given

@thebitman...  #7, just to make sure i'm reading you right...  you mean having a thru hole right next to the solder pads of SMT parts?  or, would having extra long solder pads work since you can solder fly wires to them easier like that?  i'm a touch confused, i think i'm seeing something in my head you don't mean...  in short (just from an ease-of-PCB-design perspective) adding two rows of thru-holes/vias unnecessarily is a lot of mess you'll curse throughout the routing.  keeping them on one side (with longer solder pads perhaps, or some variant of this) would be much easier. 

and, your #6.  it'd need to be a breakout PCB with the SMT fram on it, with swiss pins or something acting like a socketable IC.  its possible...  someone else mentioned switchable fram up above...  sort of echoes something jazzmarazz was wanting (i think, not looking).  multi-sav support is what it sounds like this boils down too, right?  or, do you literally want to be able to physically swap the fram?  and, why?  (just for curiosity's sake)

matt's mind

actually, i have another question for you guys...

does anyone know where a list of game .sav file sizes might be?  a complete list would be awesome, listing the game title and the .sav file size it generates.

i've found some, but they are either obviously incomplete or only concerned with a particular type of game cart style or something like this.

Cleveland, OH

This is great timing. I finally went back to the Ziegler flasher design and finished my PCB. I still don't have any plans of ordering right now so let me know if I can help with this project on that end.

Last edited by thursdaycustoms (Sep 8, 2013 4:26 pm)

matt's mind

is there a 'now' missing from the last sentence? 

if thats it...  ok i'll let you know!  that is good timing

Michigan
kitsch wrote:

and, your #6.  it'd need to be a breakout PCB with the SMT fram on it, with swiss pins or something acting like a socketable IC.  its possible...  someone else mentioned switchable fram up above...  sort of echoes something jazzmarazz was wanting (i think, not looking).  multi-sav support is what it sounds like this boils down too, right?  or, do you literally want to be able to physically swap the fram?  and, why?  (just for curiosity's sake)

I don't think physically switching the TSOP by hand is what they wanted. tongue
Though a removable memory card-type of breakout board sounds interesting. lol

I believe this is what they are looking for (very quick mock-up setting aside all other connections and granted CE are low enable):

kitsch wrote:

actually, i have another question for you guys...

does anyone know where a list of game .sav file sizes might be?  a complete list would be awesome, listing the game title and the .sav file size it generates.

i've found some, but they are either obviously incomplete or only concerned with a particular type of game cart style or something like this.

For a donors list?

Last edited by Jazzmarazz (Sep 8, 2013 4:23 pm)

matt's mind

^ yeah, i was going to say earlier a toggling /ce approach would be pretty straightforward

no no not for donors.  i'm concerned about the save file generated, not the type of MBC or anything like that or stripping them.  purely reference

Cleveland, OH

So do you have your schematic available for viewing, kitsch? I'm really interested.

matt's mind

not with its mistakes, and not until i can verify everything is running smooth with a new board.  i know there are mistakes, and you know how the internet is.... can't take it back.  so its not escaping until its totally done, and i've slept on it a night or something.

i'm also wanting to consider the feedback from here before finalizing it, so i'm sort of sitting on my hands for a second, listening. 

not right now, but soon.  and some changes are in pencil still, so ya know...

Cleveland, OH

Awesome. Well I'm looking forward to it. I'm in a similar spot with the flasher. It's exactly as Zeigler designed as far as I can tell. I could post the files or at least a screen shot here if you or anyone is interested.

Last edited by thursdaycustoms (Sep 8, 2013 4:47 pm)

kitsch wrote:

@thebitman...  #7, just to make sure i'm reading you right...  you mean having a thru hole right next to the solder pads of SMT parts?  or, would having extra long solder pads work since you can solder fly wires to them easier like that?  i'm a touch confused, i think i'm seeing something in my head you don't mean...  in short (just from an ease-of-PCB-design perspective) adding two rows of thru-holes/vias unnecessarily is a lot of mess you'll curse throughout the routing.  keeping them on one side (with longer solder pads perhaps, or some variant of this) would be much easier. 

For #7 I should redact my statement and insist on solder pads. Easier to deal with smile
As far as #6 goes, easy multi-save as well as the ability to, say, create an FPGA-to-SRAM/FRAM socket interface, may be cool for debugging or creating custom code in the future with the aid of custom homebrew ROMs wink

Last edited by thebitman (Sep 8, 2013 6:13 pm)

I know this is extremely early, but if one of the final PCB designs includes switching banks, I for one would be up for 20 PCB's for myself.  I am also up for working with Eagle files and using this thread to host them.  This way if a design makes more room for LED's and another doesn't, but maybe has some other feature that is desirable they all can be found in one place.  That is, if it's 'ok' with you Kitsch?

matt's mind

yeah, totally fine with me.  i'm really looking forward to people taking it and adopting it to exactly what they'd like themselves wink

sounds perfect

you're smart

Michigan

So....we're serious about the LEDs? I thought that was a joke.

matt's mind

ahaha...  its sort of both.

i'm serious about the need to include them on a schematic which will be read by people of all sorts of different levels.  i guess i've learned that its better to approach things as if the reader/viewer knows absolutely nothing about what you are talking about. 

not to assume people are dumb, just that their knowledge base may not be the same. 

but, its already been taken care of, i realized i simply needed to have two on there to show how its done and then everyone can do with it what they will.  people to whom its the most obvious thing in the word can just see it, maybe someone who knows nothing can learn from something that simple

Michigan

I WANT LED ON EACH ADDRESS AND DATA PIN. O_O