(Sorry if this is the wrong place for a question like this, but it seems like you guys might know):

I've noticed that in order to get a .SAV file to actually be written to, you have to restart/turn off the emulator. Has anyone been able to change this behavior so that saving 'in-game' writes the .SAV file immediately without needing to restart BGB?

Additionally the program seems to 'auto-save' every 3-5 min (like its 'checking for a new save'), but may actually save nothing and loading that file will just use your last .SAV that you actually did through the game (even though the 'file time' updates in your OS), can anyone confirm/deny this as well?

Sweeeeeeden

BGB auto saves every 256 seconds, so every 4 minutes, 16 seconds according to the author of the program. I don't think there's a way to automatically save more often than that. The easiest way to force the save data to be written to disk is probably to reset the CPU, which you can do with numpad * or fn+P on many laptops.

Could you please clarify the following? It sounds like a potential bug, if it's actually true.

Blitzer wrote:

but may actually save nothing and loading that file will just use your last .SAV that you actually did through the game (even though the 'file time' updates in your OS), can anyone confirm/deny this as well?

Sweeeeeeden

New version released.

New in BGB 1.5.3 (2017-03-04) - Accuracy improvements, including: pokemon (all versions) now has correct TID for speedruns. Fixed a large number of bugs and problems, including: "uncoverable direct3d error" on some Optimus laptops. Added improved support for automation/commandline use. Significant performance/efficiency improvement with most roms. Added support for loading RTC .sav files where a timestamp in the future does not (incorrectly) advance time.

Sweeeeeeden

New version released.

New in BGB 1.5.4 (2017-07-18) - Fixed regression: pokemon yellow broken in SGB mode. Fixed a number of bugs.

Abandoned on Fire

Excellent! ! BGB is indispensable for me heart

Sweeeeeeden

New version released.

New in BGB 1.5.5 (2017-11-27) - Added support for GUI display scaling. Improved input lag on 120 Hz display mode. Improvements to debug messages. A number of bug fixes and small improvements.

Sweeeeeeden

New version released.

New in BGB 1.5.6 (2017-12-06) - Fixed regression: choppy framerate and sound glitches after pause.

BGB homepage

Abandoned on Fire

Update time smile

Okay-so i know im kinda resurrecting this thread-but for some reason, the save state SN1 can't be loaded on bgb, (mine at least). It says its not a bgb save state file, even though it is. I've tried to figure whats wrong, but im kinda stuck in a corner here.
Help?

Okay-so i know im kinda resurrecting this thread-but for some reason, the save state SN1 can't be loaded on bgb, (mine at least). It says its not a bgb save state file, even though it is. I've tried to figure whats wrong, but im kinda stuck in a corner here.
Help?

Sweeeeeeden

ThreeAndUp: Try e-mailing the BGB author and attach the save state file.

Sweeeeeeden

New in BGB 1.5.7 (2018-09-14)

• Greatly improved accuracy, including pinball deluxe/fantasies, japanese crystal, koro dice, and many test roms

• added speedrun mode (can be enabled as setting)

• recovery save state

• mappable button to start/stop recording audio/video

• setting to not break on invalid opcode, instead hang as in reality

• Made available a 64 bits version

• MBC1 multicart (MBC1M) support

• Improvements to debugger, including undo rom edits, ctrl+tab changes active control.

• Fixed many bugs

How do you use the recovery save state? My computer crashed while using LSDj and I lost my song. Too late now but I'd like it to not happen again.

Sweeeeeeden
.exe wrote:

How do you use the recovery save state? My computer crashed while using LSDj and I lost my song. Too late now but I'd like it to not happen again.

This sounds curious. The save file is automatically written to disk about every 4th minute (or every 256 seconds to be exact). What exactly do you mean by crash? A bluescreen, or something less serious? Or only BGB crashing?

If you just load the ROM again immediately after the crash, you should with a high chance return to almost where you were without doing anything else.

The recovery save state is something different. It's a one-shot feature that protects against accidentally closing BGB or quickloading a savestate. The recovery save state is NOT saved periodically or if your computer crashes, however. If you loaded bgbrecovery.sna after a crash, chances are that you've overwritten your save data with old data from when you last closed BGB normally.

If you can send me bgbrecovery.sna as well as your sav file I can take a look to see if there's anything that can be recovered. My e-mail is my username followed by @gmail.com.

>What exactly do you mean by crash?
BSOD. Rebooted and the save file was cleared, both times. I will send you the save file if it happens again, but I updated some drivers and firmware and blue screen seems to have become less frequent.

Sweeeeeeden

New in BGB 1.5.8 (2020-03-17)

• Added mode where RTC stays at real time.

• Accuracy improvements.

• Improved speedrun mode.

• Fixed graphics not showing on some wine setups.

• Improved fullscreen pageflipped mode.

• Improvements to debugger.

• Fixed many bugs.

BGB homepage