Lun-dun
sxe_weekend wrote:
Puke_Flytalker wrote:

this is pretty cool

really surprised to see you recommending a $745.00 product.  just wait for the black market knockoff.

Steady, now!!

Last edited by Crashmast (Apr 5, 2023 11:00 am)

rochester, ny
sxe_weekend wrote:

http://www.ninstrument.com/?page_id=575

the rare "unicorn" white model sold for  $1375.00.....

how much of that went to trash80?

Litebritedeath Land
herr_prof wrote:

You would think for that price, you get at least parts that look a little more boutique.

Indeed.  I would really like to know who was insane enough to buy the $1000+ "unicorn" model.  Nothing about these products screams boutique or high end at all.  Even the base is a normal project box not something designed from the ground up.  It reminds me of a cheesy dock for an iPhone.

Matthew Joseph Payne
Another Castle wrote:

This one's pretty dope:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A81XXZJxv_A

I think this is where the thread peaked.

Litebritedeath Land
nickmaynard wrote:
sxe_weekend wrote:

This.  Seriously anybody thinking these are worth it should really invest in a soldering station, a few DMG's, a couple arduinoboy kits, and take the time to learn a useful skill for modding DMG's themselves.  You could buy everything you need to fully kit out like 5 DMG's for less than half the price of one of these.

Litebritedeath Land

Hell you could build 2 shruthi's for less than one of these and get a lot more 8bit sounds out of them than these.

Crashmast wrote:

Are there any interesting Gameboy mods that people have done besides the ordinary ones (Pitch bend, half-step crystal, backlight, prosound, battery indicator, etc)? I'm looking at modding my DMG sometime soon, and I really want to go al out and md it as much as possible. space isn't really a problem as I'm going to try a larger case.

Sorry if someone mentioned these and I missed it, but if you are trying to go crazy with it swap CPUs with a super game boy, give it a pocket LCD, and throw in some sort of video out (that is what I really want, but I have only seen a couple projects for doing it that I feel are too ambitious for me atm).

Michigan
nickmaynard wrote:
sxe_weekend wrote:

There is no mistaking it, trash got nothing. Trash was contacted with such a proposition though. The code is distributed freely and a hundred other people sell arduinoboys, never with so much as a mention of trash.

Aside, the code has been modified to accommodate extra features and expanded. Trash didn't care and nobly moved on to future work. There have been claims against trash's credit.

As for the non-boutique looks, whatever that means, these feel good and sound good. What more can ayou ask for in a musical instrument? Half of the grunge-boys passing through here are boutique?

Unsubscribe

grunge-boys?

Ok lets look at another small manufacture musical instrument for about $700

Heavier duty knobs, robust looking metal connectors, a metal case, wood ends. The synthboy looks funky and would probably be a great conversation stater, but name one great chip artist using one. Its a status symbol more than a functional tool it seems. If they made a non docking version that was like 1/3ru with the knobs and all the features for $199 it would make much more sense to me. I just dont see where the money is going. As for RD, what new features have they added?

Litebritedeath Land

@herr_prof they added sexy.

Litebritedeath Land

It's basically a $500 arduinoboy to sell to clueless individuals interested in retro sound.

Litebritedeath Land

http://www.noisechannel.org/5646

One of these babies was on Britain's got talent.  While researching I found a lovely reply to a comment where someone was whole heartedly applauding NeX's mods and when asked about where to get started he "helpfully" replied by acting like he invented all the DMG mods in the world on his very own.  I found it to be ass backwards from the community aspect of this scene.  Instead of sharing the knowledge he obtained from other giving people in the community he plays dumb and acts like its private knowledge.

"Hey! I love your creative direction in creating such custom modifications as you post on your blog. Your creations have actually inspired me to take up such endeavors, yet I have no prior experience to wiring and programming, and I have a great determination to get started. Where would you direct me in creating such a foundation?"

Thanks in advance

Blue

"thanks for the kind words, i would love to help you but i don’t really have any useful tips. i found myself without a job and needed something to fill the time, so i picked up a gameboy and had a play with it. i haven’t had any courses or anything like that, but i did get some of my inspiration from the internet. but good luck, just do things, and if it breaks you learn what not to do"

Last edited by sxe_weekend (Nov 26, 2013 3:07 am)

matt's mind

whatttt

totally missed that.  thats sort of nuts

song choice though.... 

guess it makes sense for a show like that

edit --

i have a laser harp question:  are the gloves just for effect?  or, to avoid skin irritation (doubt it)?

does anyone know?  i'm genuinely curious.  they've always fascinated me.

i'm guessing its just for dramatic effect

crowd seemed to be pretty into it.  i'm unfamiliar with the show and how it works, i think i'd watch a show that had oddball techies on it though.  or is that not how the show works?  i sort of think maybe thats the same show that had the electroluminescent dance crew who were tempo synced, right?

i saw simon cowell interview by piers morgan once though.  i vomited in my mouth a little, but not really.  "so, are you a monarchist?" was one of his interview questions (on CNN, usa).  really.

Litebritedeath Land

And in the spirit of sharing here is the case so us DIY types can make our very own synth-boy.

http://www.polycase.com/ag-85

Maine

lol "cheaper"... shoulda used "less expensive"