D D D Detroit, not the burbs

This makes crystal castles looks like Pope JP2 ... O.O

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 8:18 pm)

Milwaukee, WI

Yeesh.  Random has got to be the most pirated chip artist by now. hahaha

Holland
Feryl wrote:

It's a lazy/stupid move to be sure, but he can't be making that much, right? How often do people buy random chiptunes from a nobody on Amazon or iTunes?

Well, his topsongs are played around 15k on Spotify. That definitely got him a few dollars for sure.

NYC

Very sad.  I'll never understand why anybody would knowingly do this type of thing.

Lun-dun

Just going back a few pages, while Amazon will be able to take stuff down due to copyright infringement, it will almost certainly take a court case to determine just how much each person has lost in terms of earnings and for them to get it back. I don't think Amazon will be able to re-direct revenue to affected parties and given how publishing etc works it's not really worth their time to worry about it beyond taking the content down.

However, I fully support all affected artists in seizing back their property and if I was in any kind of position to help I'd certainly do so, though I've only studied contracts, publishing and copyright issues, I have no legal clout, I'm afraid. But court costs will be paid by the guilty party and I doubt anyone will have too much trouble convincing a copyright lawyer they have a case as long as you can prove your track was out before this joker's so take this guy to the cleaners, I say. Slip a few "damages to reputation" claims in there, too, for good measure!

If anyone's in the Musicians Union in the UK I'm pretty sure you get free legal advice/backup included in your membership. I'm told the US MU is even better so take a look at that, too. Good luck to everyone in ensuring justice is done!

Last edited by simonhpieman (Nov 26, 2013 9:56 am)

Lun-dun

Actually, a further thought, if Amazon have sold a bucketload of this without the copyright owners permission then they can't very well keep their share of the fee... Perhaps everyone's owed something by Amazon, too!

Färjestaden, Sweden

Haha, aah.. Crystal Castles, good times on 8bc :3

Feryl wrote:

It's a lazy/stupid move to be sure, but he can't be making that much, right? How often do people buy random chiptunes from a nobody on Amazon or iTunes?

This feels kinda gay typing but, I've been selling my music for about 1,5 year or something now and my total is about $4,500 in iTunes, Amazon and such sales..
And this guys has more views than me on spotify, haha!

Not saying that he has to made allot of money, but there totally is a chance he's made quite some!
Especially of artist whoms music is free!

Last edited by Bunnymajs (Nov 26, 2013 11:40 am)

Brighton/Southampton

"8OKTA" is LAZERNIPPLES by Raptor (Derris) Kharlan ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltwzwA7g9no )

(obligatory heyheyheyheyheyheyheyheyheyhey)

Last edited by Fearofdark (Nov 26, 2013 11:58 am)

Färjestaden, Sweden

How the hell did i miss that?
Listened to that song just two days ago O:
Anyway, nice going smile

Northern Ireland

Hey guys smile

I'm in contact with Sebastian Wolff from Loudr right now. He did some background research:
"As far as I can tell, it's a guy (likely not named Roger Kuan) who's been changing his DJ name every few months. insilicomusic, 8bitstellar, BluFactor, megaminx..."

I don't think he's actually earning anything off my tracks but I'll see what I can do for everyone else. He has 1,600 listeners on Last.fm so it's very likely he's earned quite a bit from everyone. I'll keep you all posted, but if we can continue to find the artist and track names I can send it to Sebastian

Last edited by chipzel (Nov 26, 2013 2:31 pm)

Brooklyn, NY, USA

My main disappointment is that none of my tracks were plagiarized. I guess I need more work. sad

Last edited by Iron Curtain (Nov 26, 2013 2:36 pm)

IL, US
Iron Curtain wrote:

My main disappointment is that none of my tracks were plagiarized. I guess I need more work. sad

look at it in a more positive light... maybe your tracks were so unique.original that he knew he couldn't pass them off as his own,,, then drink lots of tea

Brooklyn, NY, USA
e.s.c. wrote:
Iron Curtain wrote:

look at it in a more positive light... maybe your tracks were so unique.original that he knew he couldn't pass them off as his own,,, then drink lots of tea

Knowing my own work, I doubt that's the case…then again, I do have some original sounding trax…

Manchester, UK
Iron Curtain wrote:

Knowing my own work, I doubt that's the case…then again, I do have some original sounding trax…

In any case, the tea bit is spectacular advice.

On topic, though, this whole thing is super, crazy unbelievable, I think. It offends me that much more because the chiptune scene is such an honest, often not-for-profit, passionate arena. And here comes this guy. The worst people I know wouldn't pull something like this. I hope the guy gets legally raped, and, as a result of some unrelated incident, gets his teeth kicked in.

Milwaukee, WI

Doesn't just happen in 8bits, guys - http://jeremylimmusic.com/legal/how-my- … -the-deep/