TSSBAY01

how about driving your cars into a ravine instead of putting this kind of cart in front of a well-oiled horse, haahahah

Ottawa, Ontario

Canada

I hear ya animalstyle. People always pine and say bio/economic diversity has to start somewhere. It has to start small and in multiple areas at once. I don't see why chipmusic can't be a part of it:) It's just hard to find the root of all evil here because, well, everything we do/use is made of processed materials. But shoopdawoop gall darn we gotta have a biodiversity spokesperson! Could it be you?!

Unsubscribe

Chipmusic done right has a zero carbon footprint.. i mean how many thousands of gameboys have we saved from landfills?

Sweden

I'm guessing that putting game boys in a landfill where no one would ever do anything with them would have less of a carbon footprint than using them, shipping them overseas, stuffing them with batteries, going to far off places to play music from them etc.

Unsubscribe

I mean compared to creating new devices like laptops and iPhones.

Italy

if you start to do math on what would have produced which carbon footprint you'll probably go mad big_smile
it's just too complex.
But I think re-using old tech instead of blindly buying every new gadget that comes up on the market is a great thing to do.

It has to start small and in multiple areas at once

exactly, making, re-using, counteracting the obsolescence of technology and so on, that's all small starts that can have an impact. And it's not so much about what they do now, it's more about what will develop from it.
So yeah I think the chiptune community is already doing a lot.

It's better to buy an iPad and then use it for as long as you can squeeze something out of it, than buying a low-carbon-footprint one every year smile

Last edited by rumpelfilter (Feb 8, 2014 7:32 am)

Sweden
herr_prof wrote:

I mean compared to creating new devices like laptops and iPhones.

"Zero carbon footprint" isn't exactly relative terms, and getting laptops/telephones isn't mutually exclusive from game boys whether you're doing chipmusic or not. I'm just nitpicking though, I get your point smile

TSSBAY01

lets not forget about all the disposable batteries and noise pollution caused by dmg's.

Psydney, Australia

best thread evar would read again

Italy

@animalstyle: You might want to check out the Cradle To Cradle guidelines if you're interested in these matters, they have a very comprehensive system to certify sustainable products, and offer a lot of insight in how these things work. What I like about them is that they have a very positive attitude, they're not about doing "less damage", but about actually improving things in positive sense.

http://www.c2ccertified.org/

Last edited by rumpelfilter (Feb 10, 2014 11:20 am)

clovis CA

Zazi's still alive?!