Florida
Limitbreak wrote:

I figured I'd bump this because knowledge is power. I've purchased three of these inexpensive USB to MIDI cables from this guy and have had nothing but great results:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230838298743?ss … 1497.l2649

I've been able to send clock signals, send MIDI to various pieces of gear and send Sysex data. Just thought I'd help if anyone else is doubting cheap cables.

Thanks for the link, I may buy one smile

Cleveland, OH
D3LL wrote:
Limitbreak wrote:

I figured I'd bump this because knowledge is power. I've purchased three of these inexpensive USB to MIDI cables from this guy and have had nothing but great results:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230838298743?ss … 1497.l2649

I've been able to send clock signals, send MIDI to various pieces of gear and send Sysex data. Just thought I'd help if anyone else is doubting cheap cables.

Would you be willing to open it up and take one good picture? I just want to be sure it has all the components.

Florida
thursdaycustoms wrote:
D3LL wrote:

Would you be willing to open it up and take one good picture? I just want to be sure it has all the components.

If I end up buying it I will smile

Cleveland, OH

Thanks!

Florida
thursdaycustoms wrote:

Thanks!

I'm currently ordering one.

In the meantime, could someone explain how to use/send midi with this?

SLC, UT

Just ordered one of these. I too would like basic info on getting this set up on a Mac.

Florida

First thing I've noticed is every single board we've either had a link to or taken a picture of is completely different, along with the components.

Mine has quite a few holes for components to be in that are empty, but I have no means of testing it currently... Maybe someone could tell me if the components are missing needed to send midi?

Here are my pictures

Sorry for the terrible image quality as well

Last edited by D3LL (Mar 14, 2014 12:58 am)

Cleveland, OH

Thanks! Just got mine in yesterday. I believe the holes are for alternate components like a DIP8 IC instead of the 4 pin SMD IC there towards the bottom left. Also there is a spot for a crystal oscillator and an through hole resistor instead of the SMD one that is already there.
Mine seems to work for the most part. It's very glitchy though. It doesn't want to trigger more than the first note most of the time and won't really let me control the envelope in mGB. Oh well.

Last edited by thursdaycustoms (Mar 14, 2014 3:29 pm)

Florida

I'll probably go ahead and get the M-Audio Uno at this point.  It seems to be the only reliable cable.

Cleveland, OH

Yep. I would have to agree. I still cannot get Chipmaestro to work. It will play back keyboard notes when using the USB/MIDI cable but won't play back midi tracks I've written out.

Last edited by thursdaycustoms (Mar 16, 2014 6:05 pm)

I can vouch for ESI's MidiMate II usb interface. It's basically just a cable, but works just as good as my soundcard's interface (which is good)
What I like about it the most is how the cables are interchangeable as input/output, so you can have 2 in, 2 out or 1 in and 1 out. Very flexible.

Cleveland, OH
_-_- wrote:

I can vouch for ESI's MidiMate II usb interface. It's basically just a cable, but works just as good as my soundcard's interface (which is good)
What I like about it the most is how the cables are interchangeable as input/output, so you can have 2 in, 2 out or 1 in and 1 out. Very flexible.

Yeah that looks pretty cool actually.
http://www.esi-audio.com/products/midimate2/

ohio gozaimasu

Yeah I have this exact cable and I can confirm that it works perfectly fine