vancouver, canada
chunter wrote:

Curation doesn't solve the problem if the listener doesn't trust the curator.

well of course the assumption is that the curator(s) is decent enough at reasonably narrowing down what deserves listening to.

but do you think that's a fundamental problem with curation, or is that more a statement about the lacking state of curation nowadays?

zobe

Not to put too fine a point on it,
aanaaanaaanaaana.net wonders if it's been edged out of the chiptune discussion simply because it releases tracker modules instead of gameboy recordings? None of our music has anything to do with straight dance music or virtuoso AOR, instead staying folksy and silly, having mystique and the promise of eventually understanding all the in-jokes, but hardly anyone's clicking and the email we passed around to receive demos has been rather overlooked.

Mannheim, Germany
9-Heart wrote:

As long as i'm the only one who takes it seriously around germany and all the other dudes are active like freaking turtles in the wintertime, it's not gonna happen.

So fck u and ur question.

ich fühle mich angesprochen. deine gang sind legomännchen aus dem hurensöhnebausatz!

Mannheim, Germany
e.s.c. wrote:

just saying, those limitations... chip gear is what it is... honestly thought about 5-6 years ago we'd see a shift toward mixing chip with other gear after a few acts got a little bigger, but scene is more homogenous than ever.. too much 4/4 EDM/house/happy hardcore been done with this gear already, and i wasnt big on it even when it was new... and if you use it heavily, you get labeled as chip, which then leads peopls to expect 4/4 edm dance nonsense (at least my experience in the midwest, i get told by chip gigs im not chip, and by other gigs that im too chip)

ill have you know that i exclusively make instrumental hiphop. pity there isnt really a market for instrumental chip-hiphop....

but well, not like my mediocre tracks would get airplay even then.

Brunswick, GA USA
bryface wrote:
chunter wrote:

Curation doesn't solve the problem if the listener doesn't trust the curator.

but do you think that's a fundamental problem with curation, or is that more a statement about the lacking state of curation nowadays?

It's a fundamental issue with curation.

The way I see it happening in my social timelines is that I only follow what I like, and therefore see the noisiest of that. Even in something like a netlabel, if that label won't provide variety or stray from its norm occasionally, unless I really like what they're sending I'll get bored of seeing the same things repeatedly and move on. If the label gets the style completely wrong (that is, it's curated poorly) then there's no reason to follow at all.

This escapes the OP quite a bit, sorry for the inconvenience. I'm going to answer aanaaanaaanaaana privately when I have more time.

Gosford, Australia
aanaaanaaanaaana wrote:

aanaaanaaanaaana.net wonders if it's been edged out of the chiptune discussion simply because it releases tracker modules instead of gameboy recordings?

i would love it if you had a n00b-mode with all your releases (i.e. mp3 renders), because i know i'm missing out simply due to the fact that i'm too lazy to install more trackers :v
OR i could just stop being a total n00b and get something that opens all the major tracker file types (openMPT does that yea?)

maybe the in-jokes themselves are alienating.? i dunno!

also more people should be on botb! if you're not on botb you miss out on some of the very best music (and i mean like actual factual music) that the medium has to offer. also in-jokes.

Last edited by Victory Road (Apr 3, 2014 12:55 am)

Memphis, TN

It is interesting being relatively new to the scene, and reading this thread; also a bit disheartening. I almost don't feel welcome tongue, because I am more or less a prime example of what you guys are talking about concerning how I entered the scene, how I make my music, and what kind of music I make.

I do feel welcome, because of all of the help the community has provided, but I can't help but feel, based on the opinions here, I'll never be anything memorable in the scene.

Concerning the OP, I don't know about chiptune specifically, but I would definitely like to stay active in music in general.

IL, US

im not trying to discourage people, more trying to encourage people to find their own musical voice and not give in to the myth that somehow the limitations of pure chip somehow make it inherently better for creativity

Gosford, Australia
Ateno wrote:

It is interesting being relatively new to the scene, and reading this thread; also a bit disheartening. I almost don't feel welcome tongue, because I am more or less a prime example of what you guys are talking about concerning how I entered the scene, how I make my music, and what kind of music I make.

i used to feel the exact same way. actually i freaked out a bit during my soundcheck at square sounds because i got nervous as shit and started thinking along the same lines again. but at the end of the day, if the music you write and play is an honest expression of yourself then you probably shouldn't be ashamed of it.

Los Angeles, CA
aanaaanaaanaaana wrote:

aanaaanaaanaaana.net wonders if it's been edged out of the chiptune discussion simply because it releases tracker modules instead of gameboy recordings? None of our music has anything to do with straight dance music or virtuoso AOR, instead staying folksy and silly, having mystique and the promise of eventually understanding all the in-jokes, but hardly anyone's clicking and the email we passed around to receive demos has been rather overlooked.

I make gameboy music, and I prefer aanaaanaaanaaana releases to most anything, really.

Gosford, Australia
e.s.c. wrote:

the myth that somehow the limitations of pure chip somehow make it inherently better for creativity

the whole tracker thing in general is pretty novel for a lot of people, maybe.
also you get that extra layer of like, "creatively" pushing limited channels/sounds/voices/whatever to their limits.

for me it was all about moving from one tired method to one that was totally novel to me. i could've learned to play guitar and gone full acoustic and got in with the local hippy scene; it probably would've given me the same creativity "boost", but i just happened to find chip music first (thank god)

Victory Road wrote:
aanaaanaaanaaana wrote:

aanaaanaaanaaana.net wonders if it's been edged out of the chiptune discussion simply because it releases tracker modules instead of gameboy recordings?

i would love it if you had a n00b-mode with all your releases (i.e. mp3 renders), because i know i'm missing out simply due to the fact that i'm too lazy to install more trackers :v
OR i could just stop being a total n00b and get something that opens all the major tracker file types (openMPT does that yea?)

I'm sure XMPlay could handle any aanaaanaaana release fine if you need a player. openMPT probably can, too. I do understand the mp3 render thing though. Streaming would be nice, too, but I don't think that'd go well with the culture of aanaaanaaana so to speak.

Woops, straying off topic. Yeah I'll quit for real someday, but doing the occasional chip thing is still pretty fun. Been thinking of revisiting LSDJ one of these days. I'll probably quit for sure when I'm an old man and have trouble reading small font sizes.

Last edited by arlen (Apr 3, 2014 2:18 am)

Brunswick, GA USA

XMPlay can play any of the tracker formats, some of the stranger stuff needs... erm... stranger stuff... but nothing google can't find for you.

The idea of releasing something experimental in an anonymous fashion is fascinating, I wonder why more people don't want to try it.

the twg anti chiptunes comp was really cool and theres going to be 1 (2?) a year from now on

NC in the US of America

I don't know if I'll ever stop. I can't see myself stopping, cuz I just started.

All the talk of curators and stuff makes me think of how mainstream radio works.

I have been thinking of doing some live instruments + chip stuff for awhile now. Technically my chibitech ukulele cover is that, since it uses LSDJ wav kits for the drums, but thats not quite the same. "unmixed-media chiptunes" is still really fun for me, and I haven't become tired of it yet. There is something special about it that will never go away for me.

I like how this turned into another "chipxistential crisis" thread and nobody complained about it (jinx)

I use VLC (some people will egg me for this, lol, but its great for just dragging a .zip archive into it and being able to play without extracting) or XMPlay to play all the tracker stuff. There are xmplay plugins that allow playback of AHX and other formats too. Deliplay2 is nice, as it plays a whole bunch of stuff (even sound club modules).

PS: I miss Space Boyfriend. PPS: aanaaanaaanaaanaaana stuff would be easier to ingest in mp3 format, probably...

UK, Leicester
aanaaanaaanaaana wrote:

the reason I didn't listen to many aana releases because I'm unaware of their existance, I listened to owl when it was released on here, and loved it, I can honestly say I thought "every ruin was a building" was beautiful song.

Orange Creamsicle wrote:

ill have you know that i exclusively make instrumental hiphop. pity there isnt really a market for instrumental chip-hiphop....

but well, not like my mediocre tracks would get airplay even then.

I am the market for instrumental chiphop, I kinda gave up looking when I couldn't find that much (although sketch showed me some cool stuff)

And yeah, I just use VLC to play modules, I opened an .xm by accident one time, and it worked so I've just used it ever since.