CA
Jazzmarazz wrote:

Bump.
Its been ages since we last spoke about this, but I think I can set aside some testing time tomorrow. I got the day off and am waiting on some PCBs (unrelated) so I need to fill the time.

I'm currently loaded with work and plus I don't really know where to move on apart from either a powerful uC with >=2 ISPs or an FPGA and both require more investments sad

BTW The idea with camera and wide angle lens failed as well I observed minor improvement in contrast but it was still impossible to play.

Jazzmarazz wrote:

Bump.
Its been ages since we last spoke about this, but I think I can set aside some testing time tomorrow. I got the day off and am waiting on some PCBs (unrelated) so I need to fill the time.

I'm still around, but have been too busy to think about this much.  I may have some free time in about a week, though, so hope to have another crack at things then.  One thing I think is worth looking into is SPI on the Teensy, ideally without Teensyduino.  So far, I haven't been able to get it to work at all (using the Kinetis headers), but I haven't looked into it much yet.  I also want to try out my parallel port idea (p. 13), but I want to be confident that I'm not going to damage any hardware (especially the on-board parallel port in my PC) in doing so.

CA

One thing I still would like to try though is modifying an SGB to receive video data and sound from a DMG or Pocket. Do you guys know has anyone documented this mod?

friendofmegaman wrote:

One thing I still would like to try though is modifying an SGB to receive video data and sound from a DMG or Pocket. Do you guys know has anyone documented this mod?

Just put the cartridge in the SGB.  More seriously, though...  The SGB Schematic is probably the most useful document, although I don't claim to understand every piece of it.  The ICD2-R will be the chip you're interested in.  Timbob's SGB LCD Mod might be worth a read too.

One thing I'm interested in is how much of the SNES's hardware is necessary to get composite video out of the SGB.

rvan wrote:
friendofmegaman wrote:

Just put the cartridge in the SGB.  More seriously, though...  The SGB Schematic is probably the most useful document, although I don't claim to understand every piece of it.  The ICD2-R will be the chip you're interested in.  Timbob's SGB LCD Mod might be worth a read too.

One thing I'm interested in is how much of the SNES's hardware is necessary to get composite video out of the SGB.

It shouldn't be that hard to create something like that. since the dmg and sgb are basically the same hardware... you'd have to do something reversed of what i did in that thread, run the game on a dmg and send the datapins to the sgb, cutting of the internal data..

I know this may be easier said then done tho tongue

Michigan

But doing that would still require an SGB and SNES, in which case it would just be easier to mod the GB buttons to act as an SNES controller.

Jazzmarazz wrote:

But doing that would still require an SGB and SNES, in which case it would just be easier to mod the GB buttons to act as an SNES controller.

Depends on what your goal is. If it's just for using a DMG or pocket instead of a snes controller, then yes.

If you want to play games on the DMG, but want a copy of the screen sent to the snes for say, a workshop, then no.

Wait... Thinking abou that second option more.. It would be easier to put the game in a SGB, and send video data to a gameboy...
And link the buttons as well.

With some mods, you could still use it as a stand alone.

CA

I agree with Jazz that this is not the very best of ideas I'm just curious to pull it off for the sake of it.

Timbob wrote:

If you want to play games on the DMG, but want a copy of the screen sent to the snes for say, a workshop, then no.

Yah, actually I was hoping to achieve exactly that. Not for a workshop of course, but for LSDJing on big screen without patching LSDJ to be in tune with other instruments (since SGB has slightly different frequency)... Why is it not possible? I thought NeX has done something like that hasn't he?

Also I wasn't aware about Timbob's SBG to DMG LCD mod. It's brilliant - thanks for sharing!

But yah, I'm moving away from the original idea of video capture. I should discipline myself and get back on track.

Michigan

Timbob, did you ever build that LCD directly into the SGB? I suspect you could pull a power board from a gameboy to get VEE.

Jazzmarazz wrote:

Timbob, did you ever build that LCD directly into the SGB? I suspect you could pull a power board from a gameboy to get VEE.

Yeah, later on in that thread you can see  I used a power board from a gameboy and made it more stand alone. Never got around to building a cart with screen in one, but it's going to happen one dat tongue

friendofmegaman wrote:

I agree with Jazz that this is not the very best of ideas I'm just curious to pull it off for the sake of it.

Timbob wrote:

Yah, actually I was hoping to achieve exactly that. Not for a workshop of course, but for LSDJing on big screen without patching LSDJ to be in tune with other instruments (since SGB has slightly different frequency)... Why is it not possible? I thought NeX has done something like that hasn't he?

Also I wasn't aware about Timbob's SBG to DMG LCD mod. It's brilliant - thanks for sharing!

But yah, I'm moving away from the original idea of video capture. I should discipline myself and get back on track.

Lsdj does have a build in frequency table to compensate for the different timing on a snes tho. So it should sound the same. Although I don't know if it would effect table speed etc...

CA

So I read through the whole thread to recap everything that has been done.

My current thoughts:
1. I'm gonna stick to original idea of DMG/Pocket to computer.
2. I need to check with one of my co-workers (who turned out to be competent in FPGA) what kind of board is needed to pull off video capture. I'll let you know what board I'll have ordered and dump all the info here.

Michigan
friendofmegaman wrote:

My current thoughts:
2. I need to check with one of my co-workers (who turned out to be competent in FPGA) what kind of board is needed to pull off video capture. I'll let you know what board I'll have ordered and dump all the info here.

Awesome. There are boards that have VGA built-in, which is what I personally want to get out of this project. I understand that you want to get video on a PC< but I want video on a TV or monitor. Different hopes, but the same goal.

CA
Jazzmarazz wrote:
friendofmegaman wrote:

My current thoughts:

Awesome. There are boards that have VGA built-in, which is what I personally want to get out of this project. I understand that you want to get video on a PC< but I want video on a TV or monitor. Different hopes, but the same goal.

That's exactly what I'm hoping for to get. Since FPGA is so powerful and I decided to invest my time into learning it I'd like to take as much as possible.

Ideally I'd like to have some serial interface to send data to pc via USB, VGA and composite. HDMI would be great also, but I know nothing about it... but if it's easy to implement then I'm up to. And plus I'd like some controller input to completely desktopify a DMG.

But first - DMG->PC.

Did you already order the board? What are your thoughts on the FPGA brand you'd like to get and language to program it?

If you haven't ordered it yet we could look into pros and cons of different boards and order the same thing so that we could share the work. That would be perfect IMO.

Michigan

I already have a cheap board, but with no VGA. I tried to program something in Verilog once, but my idea was too great for an FPGA to handle. I had about 1000 switch cases, and this just killed any hopes of programming it to the FPGA. tongue

Basically, I was trying to have the FPGA act as a ROM, and this would have worked if the data in said ROM was smaller. 1Kbytes was much too large for any FPGA to handle, at least any FPGA available to me.

Last edited by Jazzmarazz (Jul 17, 2014 10:51 pm)

CA

So apparently there are some relatively cheap and easy-to-use boards designed specifically for software engineers and uC guys allowing smooth transition to FPGA. What I'm looking at at the moment is Papilio board and arcade mega wing:

http://papilio.cc/index.php?n=Papilio.Papilio
http://papilio.cc/index.php?n=Papilio.ArcadeMegaWing

Has anybody used this one before?

EDIT
Of course I need to double check the spec and see if it suits our goal

EDIT
I can't see Mac-compatible programmers for FPGA are there any?

Last edited by friendofmegaman (Jul 18, 2014 12:13 am)