Earth
PROTODOME wrote:
pokemonmasteraaron wrote:

Hi,
I've looked into pure data, but once again, it appears to be composing music.

wait, how is pd 'composing'?

I think it might actually be easier to write a generative music patch than it is to compose like a DAW.

Agreed, pd is very machine-like. Not compositional unless you go to the trouble of making it that way.

sandneil wrote:

not a fan of the anti algorithmic hate jerk here

I think there's an assumption that people just execute a program, and out pops a song. Algorithms can (and should) be guided by human intent; they can be tweaked in real time, controlled with pre-made patterns and tables, etc.

sandneil wrote:

computers r clever nd make good tunes

i've never heard an algorithmic computer music piece that i would consider good, and i've heard my fair share, but if you have recommends i would be interested

I just deleted a super unnecessarily long post, but I don't think many people ITT understand what this program is used for and how it's very rad

an0va wrote:

I just deleted a super unnecessarily long post, but I don't think many people ITT understand what this program is used for and how it's very rad

is it rad in the context of chip music thoooo? i'm legit asking

there is no "chipmusic context," IMO there is just music and the tools used to make it

Last edited by an0va (Jun 16, 2014 9:11 pm)

half of the tools used to make chipmusic/chiptune itself were once considered to not be usable either, I think!

fair points fair points, i take back my "fuck this shit"

defPREMIUM wrote:
sandneil wrote:

computers r clever nd make good tunes

i've never heard an algorithmic computer music piece that i would consider good, and i've heard my fair share, but if you have recommends i would be interested

dffernet people like different stuff i dont really care wheter you dont like algorithmic music or not just kind of sad to see this thread full of people saying No Thats A Pointless Idea

anyway in terms of recommended algorthmic listening, most of aanaaanaaanaaana.nets songs are good

sandneil wrote:
defPREMIUM wrote:

dffernet people like different stuff i dont really care wheter you dont like algorithmic music or not just kind of sad to see this thread full of people saying No Thats A Pointless Idea

anyway in terms of recommended algorthmic listening, most of aanaaanaaanaaana.nets songs are good

WAIT A SECOND IT'S YOU

huh?

Los Angeles, CA
sandneil wrote:

If aanaaanaaanaaana stuff is mostly algorithmic, I absolutely take back all of my previous comments on algorithmic music being lame.

Hi.
Generally, algerithmic compositions aren't that great. There is a decent software I found though, have a listen to this algerithmic composition.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/588 … tainty.ogg

Alabama

I have thought about such a thing rather intensely - working on a themed game that features tons of variations on 12-bar blues, where basslines, chord progressions, and drum patterns change based on location and scenarios in the game world, while melodic content was related to "spotlight" characters.

I think that such a thing is possible, given it wouldn't be easy.

sandneil wrote:

no one said that tho :..(

Youngstown, OH

This music was composed serially (with all parameters [rhythm, timbre, pitch, etc.] tightly derived mathematically) and I think it's amazing. In chip sounds, I'm sure it would be possible to make something of similarly regimented composition sound cool

Also, anyone seen Disasterpeace's "January"? It's a generative chipmusic game that's pretty neat, has been used to compose parts of music before: http://january.cc/

jesse no 1 asked u!!!!
jk luv