NC in the US of America

I'm definitely a big obsessed fan of this chipmonstrosity. IDK where all the weird reaction to the word "fandom" is coming from... I guess I've been living under an internet-culture isolation cell all this time.

I'm definitely a fanatic, shoo'... Pshaw...

Now i feel so lonely ;-;

France (au milieu)

done as well

started to cry at the first page ''36 or older'' sad

UK, Leicester
Sesska wrote:

done as well

started to cry at the first page ''36 or older'' sad

yeah, I don't think OP understands that chip isn't a new thing, and that there's all those C64 sceners in their 50s, as well as younger people

Alive and well in fucksville

survey done. hope you get an a+ with extra credit!

Last edited by bitjacker (Oct 29, 2014 12:54 pm)

Just completed the survey. Nice questions, I would love to see the results!

England

being a bit picky i didnt really like how you referred to consoles being used to make chiptunes. to me this just kinda infers the scenes obsession with nintendo hardware :P

Last edited by Jellica (Oct 29, 2014 7:57 pm)

England

grumpy hahaha

Canada

I wrote my thesis on social networking and chipmusic (no, not just online networking) last year. If you'd like to take a look PM me and I'll send it your way. Interviewed a lot of very experienced dudes (bitshifter, Danimal cannon, 4mat, cTrix, Egr, goto80, kitsch, rainbowdragoneyes).

Good luck! I recommend picking a focussed point, instead of merely writing on chipmusic as a basic fandom. Then, maybe, you'll get away from labelling it as a fandom. For my project, I studied how chipmusicians interact with each other to allow for growth or destruction. Specifics can really help narrow your focus and help you write a more concise paper using what you've collected.

Clermont-Ferrand, France
SketchMan3 wrote:

I'm definitely a big obsessed fan of this chipmonstrosity. IDK where all the weird reaction to the word "fandom" is coming from... I guess I've been living under an internet-culture isolation cell all this time.

I'm definitely a fanatic, shoo'... Pshaw...

Now i feel so lonely ;-;

No you're not smile
I too didn't feel kinda offended by the term "fandom". It's true that I have other things in my life and that I listen to a lot of other things, I play in noise, mathrock, metal bands... but when it comes to chiptune, I'm also very obssessed with it ! I follow releases with great interest, spend much of my day listening to people's tracks, to fix my hardware which is never working, etc. So "fandom" may be suitable.

Anyway, glad that so many responded to your call.

Last edited by PleaseLoseBattle (Oct 29, 2014 8:51 pm)

Rhode Island

all done. also, making me choose my favorite game?? YOU MONSTER

Michigan

I did the thing.

Seattle, WA
Victory Road wrote:

did the survey

wouldnt call it a "fandom" - i dont think there's really that kind of obsession for most of us

I'll have you know I ship treyfrey and electric children

NC in the US of America
Jansaw wrote:

Then, maybe, you'll get away from labelling it as a fandom.

Doesn't seem as much labeling it AS a fandom so much as studying the side of it that deals with being a fan of chipmusic? I think? Didn't take the survey yet so maybe i'm totally off, hehe.

Dire Hit wrote:

Don't even get me started... *cough*bitshiftofdark*cough*

UK, Leicester

I don't like the idea of fandoms, I like things, I don't identify as part of that fandom. I've liked Doctor Who since I was a little kid, but I sure as shit aren't a whoovian, I watch my fair share of anime, but I'm no weeaboo. Fandom is a word that has so many negative connotations, that I'd rather not be associated with the word at all

Seattle, WA
SketchMan3 wrote:
Dire Hit wrote:

Don't even get me started... *cough*bitshiftofdark*cough*

I'm just glad Zefinal Cannon happened.

Netherlands

That was fun to fill in.

I feel like if you're going to study a group of people you're going to have to generalise at least a little bit. Of course you identify with other things as well, but that's not what the OP's thesis is about. Being called part of a sub-culture or even 'fandom' doesn't really bother me. (That word existed before Tumblr btw).