In the year since I started.. I've probably written about 18/20. Some of them are awful and never get played anymore and then theres 'songs' using that term loosely that I've spent 10/20 hours on just doing sound design with no really creative direction other than making a cool sound that may eventually lead to a small melody or sorts.

8BIT KIDD wrote:

There are 8765 hours in one year
8+7+6+5=26
2+6=8
8 is commonly used as a symbol for infinity

love it

16 that I'm happy with so far.. possibly 1 or 2 to go before the end of the year but I haven't decided which format/system to use yet smile

Los Angeles, CA

I've probably written something like 20 this year?  Only happy with like 10 tops?

Brunswick, GA USA
Saskrotch wrote:
danimal cannon wrote:

It's not uncommon for me to put 10-20 hours into a song

okay for real if this is considered an above average amount of time to spend on a song i'm officially super embarrassed about how long it takes me me to write tracks that can't even come close to yours

That's about how much time I like to put in too, though really it's just an hour or so per day for a week or two.

Otherwise, there's another thread about lamenting your own quality wink

Chicago, IL

I probably put in 7-12 hours a week especially when I'm doing an OST. Songs take me between 3-6 hours, but many are just short loops for podcast intros and things like that, I don't consider them proper songs. The big orchestral pieces take me an upwards of 20 hours to put together, and I still feel I'm kind of a hack at those.

Clermont-Ferrand, France
chunter wrote:
Saskrotch wrote:

okay for real if this is considered an above average amount of time to spend on a song i'm officially super embarrassed about how long it takes me me to write tracks that can't even come close to yours

That's about how much time I like to put in too, though really it's just an hour or so per day for a week or two.

That and man, if you come up with finished songs very fast, doesn't that make you more awesome smile ?
Personnally  I think I spend too much time on mine for a result that still doesn't satisfy me. Time and training, I guess.

Chicago, IL
PleaseLoseBattle wrote:
chunter wrote:

That and man, if you come up with finished songs very fast, doesn't that make you more awesome smile ?
Personnally  I think I spend too much time on mine for a result that still doesn't satisfy me. Time and training, I guess.

For me, some songs just come together in like 10 minutes while others I struggle with for weeks. It depends on how your brain is working, what kind of song it is and probably a million other intangible factors. The songs I like best are usually the ones that spring into my head fully formed, usually at an inopportune time like when I'm in line at the store or doing dishes.

Detroit, Michigan

I can only write like 8 solid songs in a year that I like, lots of loops tho lol

Nottingham, UK

This year I wrote probably 10 hours worth of ideas, loops and general snippets and released one track. I'm too self critical to just get over myself and release shit.

NC in the US of America

This year I hardly did diddly cuz It's been a horrible wonderful year full of changes and new things and I just can't bring myself to produce... ._.

chunter wrote:
Saskrotch wrote:

This is super encouraging to me. Haha.

Ohio, USA

I probably make one or two songs a week lol (obviously not all of them are released). Doing a rough estimate of 1 or 2 times 52 weeks, that's about 100 songs a year.

Chicago

My max in the past was 30-40, I think. This year, about 15-20, not counting noise sessions. It's really hard to quantify that when you don't record sessions. Counting noise sessions that inspired recorded or live noise performances, 40 this year.
edit: also, I didn't count stuff I've written on acoustic guitar. Another 10 or so, I believe on the final number. Damn, it was a weird music year for me. 
My music production is pretty closely tied to poems I finish. One inspires the other. When I'm on a roll writing music, I usually write more poetry as well.

I'm with Saskrotch. I have been sitting on some tracks for two years doing little things here and there. Dan's got me beat, hard.

Last edited by theghostservant (Dec 20, 2014 3:22 pm)

Abandoned on Fire

This year I wrote 2 songs.

TX
Saskrotch wrote:
danimal cannon wrote:

It's not uncommon for me to put 10-20 hours into a song

oh geez, same here. Really, most tracks don't take that long, but there are occasional tracks that i really take to/have trouble with & subsequently ruin for myself by over-polishing.

Sometimes I put so much time into a single track that I'm like, "I could've made a whole EP in that time" so I just release it as an EP.

really interesting to read everyones opinions on this one!