A gray world of dread

Good idea, nitro. I think it's a perception problem atm, because the current list of most used tags on the upload page isn't really helpful (and because they're exposed, they get used, while other tags are mostly ignored). I'd suggest gear, software, genre and mood/speed/pace (ie calm, dance etc). Also, to help building a DB, I think it'd be good to hard set the tags on the upload page and offer a selection for each category.

Also, I think we should allow listeners to add tags. The author has always the option to remove them by editing, and it's neat to see other people pigeonholing ones music. wink

And if you add multi-tag search, that'd be the icing on the cake.

NorthTtrrrway

All this sounds good and helpful. However, putting tags in proper use is in the hands of each uploader. Some will still use tags not thinking of assisting a search, but to claim attention. So, I would say that a narrow list of tags with a limit in the amount used would in fact standardise the categorization and assist users in getting the quick results they are hoping for. Personally, i like the list of tags at micromusic radio for example...abstract, but it works.

Clicking on a tag could lead to narrow categories and searching could include the info in the descriptive text.
Information about the platform etc. could be added in the description by those who think it is important.

Finland
akira^8GB wrote:

..whatever nerd shit it's been made with.

hahahahah big_smile

Hoxton, London UK

two dropdown menus to choose from, one with the hardware option and one with the genre option. Workable?

New York City

I don't like the fact of being FORCED to choose a platform for submitting my music.
I don't mind if people opt to select it, but what if I DON'T want?
That is why I like the tags. They are OPTIONAL.

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐
nitro2k01 wrote:

My original idea for this was to let certain tags be platform tags, other software tags, yet other genre tags. They would work exactly like any other tag, but the tags would be shown in groups for easy access, in tho song listing page, on individual song pages etc. What thinks?

this

Geneva, NY

What if I use LSDJ on a DMG for a bassline and drums, mGB on a gameboy light controlled by piggy via midi running on a gp2x for some chords, and chipsounds VST on my netbook and vocoded for the melody?  Then I'd be FORCED to chose one hardware and one software platform.  How would that help anyone?  Tags should remain as is. I suggest if you don't like gameboy tracks, as soon as you realize what is it is, skip it.  That's what I do wink

Sweden

Yes, please keep using tags for everything! Much easier to get into something specific that way.

Also start showing "similar songs" based on tag relevance. Maybe there are too few songs for that to be effective so far, but it's future proof!

Last edited by boomlinde (Jun 8, 2010 3:08 pm)

Sweeeeeeden
bleo wrote:

What if I use LSDJ on a DMG for a bassline and drums, mGB on a gameboy light controlled by piggy via midi running on a gp2x for some chords, and chipsounds VST on my netbook and vocoded for the melody?  Then I'd be FORCED to chose one hardware and one software platform.  How would that help anyone?  Tags should remain as is. I suggest if you don't like gameboy tracks, as soon as you realize what is it is, skip it.  That's what I do wink

Exactly. And with my suggestion this would still work... The duiferent platforms etc would just be listed under their respective captions.