Pittsburgh, USA

No really, I was super excited for this, but I didn't manage to get in on the order. Perhaps that's for the best, but if he does release the code, then I very well might make a pet project out of it. I'd have no idea what I'm doing, but if things eventually work out then I'll let everyone know.

Paris

Code is on github....that sucks

Abandoned on Fire

The rom is supposed to work without the special cart hardware. Can someone with the knowledge compile it from what he's posted?

Aarhus, Denmark

I tried to compile the source code with WLA DX, but there seems to be an error on line 190 of main.s. Compiling with gbdk yields a GB image, but it boots up in a white screen. I don't claim to be an assembly shark though, so it might be full on personal error wink

NC in the US of America
Old Beezy wrote:

It's a real shame that this hasn't worked out. My sympathy rests with those who have received goods which are not fit for purpose or have not received anything at all. I suppose one of the two applies to everybody who ordered.

This 'sympathy for the young developer' notion in nonsense. Had the developer positioned this correctly in the first instance then I doubt that they would be facing this stressful situation which they are struggling to deal with. The fact that he is young really makes no difference in my mind.

Essentially, furtek offered for sale a product which was no where near a finished product. Frankly, the product was still within the early development phase. He could have sought donations for research or perhaps sought beta testers who could have helped to meet the cost of development. Had it been made clear that this was the situation then people would not have been in a position to complain. The fact is that his web page did not indicate that they were in an early development phase. Everything suggested that this was a finished product, albeit the first run. It's reasonable to expect that the first run may have bugs but it's not reasonable for them to be unusable or not even sent out, in some cases.

If you launch a business venture you must at least expect to be liable for the cost of setting things up. If the business goes well then you stand to gain through profit. If it doesn't then you can expect to loose your initial investment. That's how business works. If you're not willing to front and potentially loose the start up costs then perhaps it would be more appropriate to seek assistance from investors who could buy a share of your venture or to operate as a charity whereby you can accept donations. I would have happily donated to the development of what I viewed to be an exciting product with great potential.

Going forwards, I would implore any developers, young or old, who wish to sell their product that they have sufficient contingency to ensure that the product at least arrives and is fit for purpose. If you're in a development stage then make it clear that this is the case. If you lack the business acumen to make sufficient contingencies and deal with the most basic of customer requirements then try to collaborate with somebody who can. I'm sure there are established chip tune product developers/shop owners who would have been happy to collaborate on this one.

My post is not meant as an attack on Furtek. I don't think for a second that he intended for the GB303 to end up this way although I must say that he has been incredibly naive and irresponsible in his actions. I congratulate him for finally dragging his head out of the sand in attempting to do what he can to rectify the situation.

As much I doubt it will, I hope that this situation works out for all of those involved.

This should be a sticky

Nomad's Land
zii.hrs wrote:

I tried to compile the source code with WLA DX, but there seems to be an error on line 190 of main.s. Compiling with gbdk yields a GB image, but it boots up in a white screen. I don't claim to be an assembly shark though, so it might be full on personal error wink

Just tried to build it with the latest wla dx (v 9.6), works fine wink

Aarhus, Denmark
irrlichtproject wrote:
zii.hrs wrote:

Just tried to build it with the latest wla dx (v 9.6), works fine wink

Aha, I think I got my hands on v 9.5 wink

Wuppertal, Germany

WLA-DX 9.6 works for me as well.

Abandoned on Fire

Add compiled rom to github or share some other way?

Florida
egr wrote:

Add compiled rom to github or share some other way?

Someone please do this.

NUMBSKULL

Here you go: https://github.com/catskull/GB303/releases/tag/v.01

Abandoned on Fire

Thanks!
This thing has real potential.  Hopefully it gets finished up by someone at some point.

NUMBSKULL

Well the code is CC 4.0 which would let anyone do pretty much whatever they want with the code, even for commercial purposes.

DSC, you should start selling clones! I'm not even joking, Furrtek has given you permission. You could really help some people out!

EDIT:
Also, I just noticed something on the website: "Furrtek Engineering is a registered company (810 204 982 00013)". As a true American, my first thought was "They should file a class action lawsuit!" Anybody have any lawyer friends? wink

Last edited by catskull (Jun 21, 2015 9:59 pm)

If Furrtek would be interested in helping that would be ideal.  Does anyone have direct contact with him?
Can someone PM me a way to directly contact him?

If I could shoulder the hardware burden, then maybe that could free him to work on the software side.
Please realize that the prices he had listed would have to at least be doubled to take care of costs and R&D,
but if he would be interested in going forward and if anyone else here wants to join in to help than I would
gladly finance it.

I think this was a great concept and it would be great to see it be a fully functional and fully supported project.

Last edited by DSC (Jun 21, 2015 10:09 pm)

NUMBSKULL

Twitter is probably your best bet for contact.

Atlanta, GA

if clones happen I will buy. having played with the rom for a few minutes I totally dig the shit out of this