Offline
Philly, PA, USA
NeX wrote:

nope it wouldn't work for a start the microSD card is not fast enough to be used as a flash chip, but there is a lot of other reasons why it wouldn't work anyway.

not to totally derail the thread but would it be possible to write something that loads from a micro, and then writes to it, like having a reader backup automatically or something?

Offline
pixls wrote:
NeX wrote:

nope it wouldn't work for a start the microSD card is not fast enough to be used as a flash chip, but there is a lot of other reasons why it wouldn't work anyway.

not to totally derail the thread but would it be possible to write something that loads from a micro, and then writes to it, like having a reader backup automatically or something?

yep, in theory, but fitting it into a cart is another matter, and also you have the issue of, for example the gameboy is saving, where it writes to SRAM, then its done so you turn of the gameboy, but it still has to write to the SD card, so you would need a battery to keep it running so it could finish reading and writing

Offline

very nice job!
I want one btw big_smile

Offline
Milan, Italy
NeX wrote:
pixls wrote:

not to totally derail the thread but would it be possible to write something that loads from a micro, and then writes to it, like having a reader backup automatically or something?

yep, in theory, but fitting it into a cart is another matter, and also you have the issue of, for example the gameboy is saving, where it writes to SRAM, then its done so you turn of the gameboy, but it still has to write to the SD card, so you would need a battery to keep it running so it could finish reading and writing

That's exactly how the Supercard for GBA works.

to copy the save from the ram to the SD card you have to press L+R+SELECT+A and wait for a couple of seconds.

Offline

fuuuuck...

Offline
arottenbit wrote:
NeX wrote:

yep, in theory, but fitting it into a cart is another matter, and also you have the issue of, for example the gameboy is saving, where it writes to SRAM, then its done so you turn of the gameboy, but it still has to write to the SD card, so you would need a battery to keep it running so it could finish reading and writing

That's exactly how the Supercard for GBA works.

to copy the save from the ram to the SD card you have to press L+R+SELECT+A and wait for a couple of seconds.

interesting, but yea it would have to be something like that, and something similar if you wanted the rom as well, like the gameboy boots up, then you have to wait for the rom to be copied over before it can carry on, or something like that. easier with USB really

Offline
Germany, Trier

that is a pretty fucked up wiring work i think O.o

Offline

what? muh man Ralph did some pimp soldering on that. Y U NO stop posting to dead threads?

Offline
uhajdafdfdfa

wow thanks for bumping this dragooon, i could have missed out on something amazing

Offline

AMAZINGGG

Offline
Tokyo, Japan

Dope! NeX rules, and I can 100% recommend his work to anyone that is interested. I heart my prosound backlit SP that NeX did for me!

Offline
Germany, Trier
12ianma wrote:

what? muh man Ralph did some pimp soldering on that. Y U NO stop posting to dead threads?

I ment, that its fucked up to do that work, not that the work is fucked up big_smile

Offline
Gorinchem, The Netherlands
ant1 wrote:

wow thanks for bumping this dragooon, i could have missed out on something amazing

*squints* Not sure if sarcastic or not.