PDX
RushJet1 wrote:

I agree with RushCoil, which is fortuitous because we have similar names.

Oh shit, I knew this day would come. I thought that if we ever bumped into one another, all existing nuclear reactor cores would simultaneously fail, fission products would melt, and for giggles, the sun would run out of hydrogen, catastrophically implode, and within 8 minutes, the amount of time it takes for light to travel from the Sun to Earth, an incomprehensible amount of energy would sweep past the Earth and destroy everything in the Solar System.

::looks at watch::

Lawrenceville, GA

We haven't met "in real life" yet so there's still time.

What's that? You're in the state directly south of me? Oh shit, I thought all the other chip artists were in New York.  Well if we ever do meet, let's make it Dec 2012 so all the conspiracy theories and whatnot can be true.

Last edited by RushJet1 (Jun 24, 2010 5:33 pm)

Abandoned on Fire

This discussion has become far more interesting than my original question.  Rock on.

BOSTON
RushJet1 wrote:

Edit: Oh wow, me and BR1GHT PR1MATE both posted within a minute of each other.  Neat.

HAHA, and we had the same general opinions too. This thread is blowing up!

New York City
ant1 wrote:

I think with the amount of great, free music in the chipmusic scene over the last twenty-something years, people aren't going to be fooled by the "it won't be good unless you're paying for it" argument.

Not at all.
But all this talk makes me a bit uneasy. Figures? Number of downloads? Are we competing for a Grammy or something? tongue

Music, shows, touring, and many other things, usually impact on the artist's life, and many times specially in the economic side of it. We have to make a living which is based off money, unfortunately for the world we live in.

I don't even want to start to count how much money and work hours I invested in 8GB throughout its 6 years of life. I also happen to believe I done so in good fashion, progressing, and delivering a better product each time. At least, this is what I strive for. Suffice to say, I haven't ever received a penny or my time back but it was worth it.

However I think people should support the artists they like by buying a CD or something they sell from time to time. Or a donation. Anything helps. We live in a material world with material needs to be catered for, and really supportive people will understand this by giving a little bit of this material support needed too. I have sold some self-made CDs at some gigs and I felt very happy because I felt supported in yet another plane which is also important. I dunno about anything else, I have put tracks in compilations that get sold but I never seen a buck, or even Red October, I never even received my OWN copies from Retinascan (don't buy the release, do me a favour tongue)

Support your artists and buy something from them if you really like them. Don't question it too much, it's a sign of good faith, really.

As Saskrotch says: Just sayin'

PDX
RushJet1 wrote:

What's that? You're in the state directly south of me? Oh shit, I thought all the other chip artists were in New York.  Well if we ever do meet, let's make it Dec 2012 so all the conspiracy theories and whatnot can be true.

I was just in your area this weekend, insanity (6 hour drive from my place). You should come play in this Gainesville concert so we can have a Rush battle.

Last edited by RushCoil (Jun 24, 2010 5:58 pm)

IL, US
RushCoil wrote:
RushJet1 wrote:

I was just in your area this weekend, insanity (6 hour drive from my place). You should come play in this Gainesville concert so we can have a Rush battle.

if you mean bleep south 3, then yes, do it..i'll be there too to help add to possible-end-of-the-world-type-situation vibes smile

Liverpool, UK

tldr:

Last edited by IAYD (Feb 21, 2017 6:25 am)

England

I feel let down by 57% of the chip music that I've paid for.

Brunswick, GA USA

I just read comments to a blog that generated a similar marketing discussion except that site was about "regular" music (you can stop laughing now, I will edit and add the link to it later) and I have to admit that this thread has way more substance, but most of you have failed or refused to answer the OP's question.

My download figures are skewed because my releases are on archive.org and I don't trust its site hit counter; but I thank everyone for the downloads all the same.

On a Rainy Day outdit my first release's download count on its first weekend, and surpassed a thousand downloads on the archive.org counter very quickly, but has since cooled. In reality, I think that's more like a hundred downloads or so. You may compare that to Release Zero's 700ish in one year, which is probably more like 70.

Release Zero also had pay versions, though, because it was an RPM Project which requires a physical unit be sent in. I sold four at the only show I played. I have one full album pay download through CD baby and a half dozen single track downloads from Amazon, iTunes, etc; all for the track Geocache.

Does that mean I have to make a thousand tunes that sound like Geocache? I certainly hope not.

Laugh at the big gulf between freebies and sales if you want; the fact is, I just wanted to see what would happen. I don't have enough reputation to put a price tag on my music, and to be honest my most scarce commodity is time.

I maintain a partial interest in marketing for the sake of reaching listeners but otherwise, I'm weary of it. I have a job that usually makes me happy, and that's something to keep in mind as you plan your career- as already mentioned, music is way too much work and stress (and sometimes expense) to hate the result, so make sureyou like what you're doing first and foremost.

I'd like to add that I think 10k officially understands how indie music works. Even if he doesn't make your kind of music, his bullet points should be commited to memory, because they are the word of (insert name of favorite diety here, or substitute "10k" if you are an atheist).

Finally, if you are unhappy with the quality of releases, please counter it with high quality releases of your own (and vocal endorsement of others' high quality releases) and before you know it, there will be lots of good new music all around you.

There is no formula for success, which lies in the eye of the beholder, and nothing is perfect, so you can only do what's best for yourself.

San Antonio, Texas
chunter wrote:

I'd like to add that I think 10k officially understands how indie music works. Even if he doesn't make your kind of music, his bullet points should be commited to memory, because they are the word of (insert name of favorite diety here, or substitute "10k" if you are an atheist).

Finally, if you are unhappy with the quality of releases, please counter it with high quality releases of your own (and vocal endorsement of others' high quality releases) and before you know it, there will be lots of good new music all around you.

There is no formula for success, which lies in the eye of the beholder, and nothing is perfect, so you can only do what's best for yourself.

wurd.

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs
chunter wrote:

Oh, why thank you!

:-)

A gray world of dread

I treat chip releases exactly the same way as any other music. I get the mp3s, listen a couple of times, and if I find myself listening enough I buy the physical release, if available. I just like to have something solid in my hands (or shelf). I tend to ignore any releases I can't preview that cost money- the days of blindly buying music are past, and I think not only for me,
It never really occurred to me to charge money for anything I've done. I got some when a 30 second snippet of mine got selected by that Gamestop commercial thingy, but that felt different, more like winning a contest. Dunno, maybe I want to avoid making it feel like a job.

I have no idea about download stats for my music, but last.fm says 270 listeners for Les Chats sur la Lune- which is probably borked due to radio scrobbles.

egr, last.fm should be pretty useful to compare listener stats for online releases, at least by comparing quotas.

Liverpool, UK
µB wrote:

egr, last.fm should be pretty useful to compare listener stats for online releases, at least by comparing quotas.

Not really, I know plenty of people who don't have a last.fm account :\

Finland

Bandcamp is awesome to realize how much stuff really gets listened or downloaded (even though it shows only last 60 days). My album has been downloaded probably 200 times after it's release in march 1st, and tracks have been played +1000 times. I'm really happy with that, but I think I could sell only like 10-20 records if I tried, hehe.

I try to buy albums when I see some band live, that way it's easiest to sell records as an artist I think. We've been selling Videovalvontaa (handmade cd-r) records at shows from time to time and easily could sell 20 per night or something, if we keep the price right. Professionally printed albums are always nice, but as an old punk rock fan there's something cool about DIY made releases too, if the artform and packaging supports DIY methods. I think coolest Videovalvontaa-cdr was the first one with handfolded envelopes from different colour A4 papers put in a soft plastic cd-sleeve (the ones you see on second hand shops). We sold them for 5e or something (6 songs), and cost of one was below 2e.

I just realised this might be bit off topic, haha.