Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

In my next gig I will bring some physical copies, some sort of best of of my music, draw some covers and sell it. I think I will get at least the money for the beers I will drink and the subway I'll get to go home. Which is all I want now, actually.

yup. paid gigs i do usually just end up covering that each time, which I'm fine with too. Only replace subway with taxi (only because the subway has stopped here in montreal by 3:00am)

Brazil
Battle Lava wrote:
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

In my next gig I will bring some physical copies, some sort of best of of my music, draw some covers and sell it. I think I will get at least the money for the beers I will drink and the subway I'll get to go home. Which is all I want now, actually.

yup. paid gigs i do usually just end up covering that each time, which I'm fine with too. Only replace subway with taxi (only because the subway has stopped here in montreal by 3:00am)

Here the subway stops 00:00 but comes back at 4.30 or something.

Brazil

edit: unintentional double post

Last edited by Subway Sonicbeat (Feb 3, 2011 6:16 pm)

Decktonic wrote:

It's not that people think they are legitimizing something by purchasing it... not at all. It's that people think something is legitimate because it costs more than free. All this applies to before the sale, not after (in this case a "sale" is also someone downloading something for free).

Yeah, the price is irrelevant.  Putting a monetary value on it sticks this on the shelf with other styles of music.  It's saying "hey we're just as relevant and mature enough" to other genres and there are tons of niche genres that sell their music.  It's especially important to do this with chipmusic because beforehand they were either files in hardware playable form or they were intergrated into something else.  (say, a game or a demo) As I said, you're drawing a line in the sand between that time and a new one.   "Yes I use this and this piece of hardware to make music, some other guy is using a Virus and some VSTs, perhaps a few old drum machines.  It's no less serious to what he's doing if I don't want it to be."

I think some people here are reading this as "we should sell our music for $$$" or "yeah man, next stop Hollywood" which is not the case at all. (and I'm certainly not doing it as anything other than spare time work)  But it will help to take a more mature starting position, then we can build on that on all fronts.  I'm definately not the only guy who wants to steer away from the "Mario pic in the interview and then some stuff about using a NES" kind of articles in the press, having a big pixelated Gameboy linked to everything etc. etc.  Obviously we can't instantly change that overnight but this is one step we can take now.

AANABAY01

me too, i wish it was a pic of Karnov

:F

sales data: ant1 bought one of my offcuts releases for too much money

@4mat: I have hard time believing we could extricate ourselves from journalistic ignorance, ie. "mario in a rave" or "hacked tetris cartridge" or what have you bullshit, with a price tag.  But I'm happy you elaborated on your point. Because maybe I'm wrong! heh.

Last edited by Battle Lava (Feb 3, 2011 4:57 pm)

Battle Lava wrote:

@4mat: I have hard time believing we could extricate ourselves from journalistic ignorance, ie. "mario in a rave" or "hacked tetris cartridge" or what have you bullshit, with a price tag.  But I'm happy you elaborated on your point. Because maybe I'm wrong! heh.

The price tag is more for us to take it seriously (or at least think about it differently) than the press to do so.  To be honest, half the press ignorance is often perpetrated by the chipmusic community themselves on a daily basis.  Just go to YouTube or Google or whatever and type in chiptune or chipmusic, you can't blame them for taking their angles from what is out there.   It'll be a very long time (if ever) before that changes, but we can go some way to not encouraging the stereotypes at least.

A step towards thinking about ourselves and what we do and how to go about it differently is great.  If a price tag can do that, then so be it, go for it. But, does it do that? Since I'm not really providing any real alternatives, I guess I have to agree at this point, don't I?
(note: but i would much rather find an alternative tongue)

Yes, I understand and agree that the chipmusic community often perpetuates it's on stereotypes on a daily basis.  This was the basis for my initial contempt for "fakebit".  I saw it as people avoiding the actual technology, avoiding understanding anything and just hopping on the bandwagon with some vsts or whatever. But that's changed now (my opinion).

Last edited by Battle Lava (Feb 3, 2011 5:28 pm)

Westfield, NJ
Battle Lava wrote:

A step towards thinking about ourselves and what we do and how to go about it differently is great.  If a price tag can do that, then so be it, go for it. But, does it do that? Since I'm not really providing any real alternatives, I guess I have to agree at this point, don't I?
(note: but i would much rather find an alternative tongue)

Maybe one step would be to stop calling it chipmusic. That's not really a genre, at least most of the time. Is it house? Techno? Rock? Metal? Ambient? Folk? If I open your MP3 in iTunes and I see "chipmusic" or "chiptunes" in the genre field, that might make me think one way of it. If I see an actual genre, that will make me think another way. It will certainly do something to separate the music from the medium. Likewise if the music video / cover art has some actual art rather than just a picture of a gameboy. Etc.

Essentially how we package and describe it, aside from the selling price.

Last edited by Decktonic (Feb 3, 2011 5:35 pm)

Yes that is more like it.

But I have this attachment to 'chipmusic' as a concept or scene. I think, and maybe I'm not the only one, it will be hard to shed.

Brazil

We can't negate the chipmusic label, since I think it's the way to describe how you do it. It's totally different from anything else just because the sound engineering we do. Even if I consider my music a mix of any genre I like, I still use some device to sound like "mario at teh ravez", thus making me a "chiptuner" (lol).

But, to say anything, I first say I do electronic music with old computers and videogame sounds and bla bla bla.

i'm so hungry

New York, New York
PlainFlavored wrote:

i'm so hungry

I could eat at Arby's

Brazil

Chinese food plz

plenty people downloaded it, but

5 people claimed a physical CD of my EP
http://www.freizeitmeister.org/music/achtung-cd/

only one donated though lol :3

big_smile

Last edited by Holy Konni (Feb 3, 2011 10:56 pm)

Brunswick, GA USA
Decktonic wrote:

Maybe one step would be to stop calling it chipmusic. That's not really a genre, at least most of the time. Is it house? Techno? Rock? Metal? Ambient? Folk? If I open your MP3 in iTunes and I see "chipmusic" or "chiptunes" in the genre field, that might make me think one way of it. If I see an actual genre, that will make me think another way. It will certainly do something to separate the music from the medium. Likewise if the music video / cover art has some actual art rather than just a picture of a gameboy. Etc.

Battle Lava wrote:

Yes that is more like it.

But I have this attachment to 'chipmusic' as a concept or scene. I think, and maybe I'm not the only one, it will be hard to shed.

On Soundcloud I've developed a habit of using their genre field, calling pieces, for example, a chiptune ballad or a tracker jingle. Perhaps this should be encouraged in our music postings and tags.

What simultaneously pleases and alarms me is that the numbers shared in this ever-growing thread aren't that different and seem like they ought to be bigger.  One of the things I learned trying to help my friend launch his rock band is that the things we can do to be heard in the chipmusic and netlabel world don't work for a rock band after commercial success, and for me, it's much easier to make chipmusic and be heard by a lot of people quickly.

We have a decided advantage over other kinds of music in the way that we are networked and have been networked for a very long time.  While I think advocacy tips belong in another thread, I blame myself a little for not sharing this kind of music with the people I work and live around on the assumption that they won't understand it.  Do too many of us think that way too?  Maybe it's time for that to change.