unexpectedbowtie wrote:
Nimbus wrote:

midi out from LSDJ to a volca? May I ask how (and which volca)?

This is what I followed:

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/15978 … org-volca/

I've used both the Bass and the Sample.

Ah thanks! So it's using lsdj to sequence melodies onto the volcas. That's pretty cool, can I ask what you used it with the sample for? I own one as well and I filled it with a sample pack called 'gameboy sounds' from somewhere to use live, but having it as slave to lsdj never crossed my mind. How would you sequence stuff on there? It doesn't strike me as being as simple as corresponding note values like with a bass or keys, because you could have any samples on there from anywhere.

Glasgow, Scotland.
Nimbus wrote:
unexpectedbowtie wrote:

This is what I followed:

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/15978 … org-volca/

I've used both the Bass and the Sample.

Ah thanks! So it's using lsdj to sequence melodies onto the volcas. That's pretty cool, can I ask what you used it with the sample for? I own one as well and I filled it with a sample pack called 'gameboy sounds' from somewhere to use live, but having it as slave to lsdj never crossed my mind. How would you sequence stuff on there? It doesn't strike me as being as simple as corresponding note values like with a bass or keys, because you could have any samples on there from anywhere.

You're right, and I'm not sure how exactly that would work either. Worth a bash to try and see though.

For the Sample I've been using it as a drum machine really. I opted for it over the Beats because of the flexibility. So I'll dial in my patterns, and set LSDJ (or my DAW, depending on the scenario) to send the MIDI clock to the Sample. That way when I hit play on the DMG/laptop the Sample starts at the right place and speed, and I can turn patterns on or off to make things more interesting.

unexpectedbowtie wrote:
JaffaCakeMexica wrote:

I heard that all of the pocket operator series have no sharps or flats...only diatonic...

can anyone confirm or deny?

Not sure about all of them, but previous models have been based primarily on that idea:

https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p= … ment_10821

You can get flats/sharps by using effect parameters, but it feels like a bit of a pain to do so.

I have the first gen line with the synth and the drum (12 and 16) and have been using the 20 (arcade)  - the arcade operates differently - you write in cmaj (so to speak) but you also set up chords and it plays in key to the chords  - eg: if you set it up to be - d-e-f in the sequence, if you set the chord to em it will go f#-g-a, same with the arpeggio instruments - also the chords can be set in sequence and the notes shift along with the chord changes. the pads on it correspond to the chords as well.

Melbourne

Just got a PO-20; TE sent me one in return for making a video using the PO-12 in sync with nanoloop big_smile

It's interesting. I'm not sure how much I'll use it but it may come in useful for some quick sketching of ideas. I'll probably end up making another video with it though, since it's hilariously easy to come up with something cool from scratch.

Last edited by pselodux (Mar 10, 2016 4:12 am)