Renoise is great. I record more in Renoise than I do in Reaper lol. Try out the demo, it gives you everything except exporting to .wav (Honestly, you can get around this if you really want to, but I suggest supporting the dev team. They're a great group).

I used the demo of Renoise from about 2007 to 2011 I think, then I bought a license. Worth every penny. I love the way their license system works compared to other DAWs (I respect Reaper's pricing model, too. Very fair). You buy a license and you're good from the current version up to the next full version. So right now you'd buy at version 3.1.x and be good until 4.1.x and that takes a long, long time. I bought at 2.9 I think and it's been nearly 5 years now. Even in that time there have been plenty of changes and updates, but they don't go up the version numbers too fast unless there's a big, big change in features.

arlen wrote:

Renoise is great. I record more in Renoise than I do in Reaper lol. Try out the demo, it gives you everything except exporting to .wav (Honestly, you can get around this if you really want to, but I suggest supporting the dev team. They're a great group).

I used the demo of Renoise from about 2007 to 2011 I think, then I bought a license. Worth every penny. I love the way their license system works compared to other DAWs (I respect Reaper's pricing model, too. Very fair). You buy a license and you're good from the current version up to the next full version. So right now you'd buy at version 3.1.x and be good until 4.1.x and that takes a long, long time. I bought at 2.9 I think and it's been nearly 5 years now. Even in that time there have been plenty of changes and updates, but they don't go up the version numbers too fast unless there's a big, big change in features.

I hear what you're saying but I have a long way to go before understanding using stuff like that. Its all sample based is it not? LSDJ was my very first exposure to using trackers whatsoever and my abilities with that isn't super great (probably evidenced by the music I've posted here.) Getting good things out of tables for example is a struggle for me, but at least I dont have to find samples since it has built in synthesis. I was considering moving into famitracker to learn something a little "bigger" that also has some built in synthesis. At any rate, yes, I'll play with Renoise.

Brunswick, GA USA

You can draw a familiar synth waveform as a Renoise sample and use its instrument effects as you would on any synthesizer if that helps. Version 3.1 implements the Redux instrument engine so the process can be as simple or complex as you want.

Swansea, UK

+1 renoise.

But also, if only one console sounds too thin, you're doing only one console wrong.

Lake Titicaca

also your not limited to samples only in renoise. you can easily use vsti as your oscillators.
out of all trackers renoise has the most resolution for automation as well as other things. 256 divisions per line. If the need is for in the box synths inside a tracker, and portability (tablets, phones) then sunvox is the way to go. in my humble opinion sir, sunvox and renoise are the best trackers to date.

instead of tables, renoise has phrases.
sunvox also has phrases, inside metamodule.

Last edited by JaffaCakeMexica (Apr 18, 2016 12:51 pm)

Naptown

renoise is fantastic. the new instruments workflow makes sound design a dream come true. i regularly use it as a rewire slave to reaper so that i can record live audio too. best of both worlds

East Coast USA
donotrunwithpixels wrote:

But also, if only one console sounds too thin, you're doing only one console wrong.

I've heard some pretty impressive one-console stuff,  but the stuff the artist has to do some pretty crazy stuff to make just one console sound full. The artists who can pull off that sort of thing are the exception.

Brunswick, GA USA
Dolby-Z wrote:

the artist has to do some pretty crazy stuff to make just one console sound full.

That depends on what "full" means to you. The ability to have two notes at a time create a song that sounds complete is an important compositional skill, even if you never get good enough at it to release the results. If you mean the frequency spectrum, that's as simple as playing a square wave at full volume.

Last edited by chunter (Apr 18, 2016 10:54 pm)