Brunswick, GA USA
e.s.c. wrote:

yeah, but what he's saying is that even while it has happened, the majority of the stolen tracks have been written by a very small percentage of the scene....odds of you finding yourself a victim of chip theft is somewhere in the neighborhood of the odds of dying in a car accident...and you don't see most people avoiding cars and buses as a result

Tempest and MegaRan and others (yes, there have been more than two) were not ripped off arbitrarily, they were ripped off because they made good songs. Forgive me for thinking a person who struggles with first semester harmonic theory might compose bad music, but all it takes to prove my assumption wrong is a link to a good song.

If anyone is interested, the first workbook for the classes I took is available here: https://online.berklee.edu/store/produc … p;usca_p=t

There are four, one for each class/semester. If you look at the syllabus for the corresponding class and understand all the topics there, you can skip ahead to the one at your level, and expect to spend 12-16 weeks on each book (if you really dig into it, and can grasp it without needing a teacher.)

When you apply as an in-person student, you are tested on harmony and ear training, and placed into the level appropriate to your results. For instance, I tested into Harmony 3 but needed to start from Ear Training 1.

Lake Titicaca

Is that why you don't know that scale degrees can be represented using roman numerals, and when you are backed into a corner by logic and references you default back to I'm a big expert from a university with a big university music theory book?

Melbourne, Australia

Brunswick, GA USA
JaffaCakeMexica wrote:

I'm a big expert from a university with a big university music theory book?

You didn't understand the page you referenced. In the first figure on that page are the triads spelled over the C major scale, with their roman numerals by degree just like I explained:

I - C major
ii - D minor
iii - E minor
IV - F major
V - G major
vi - A minor
viiº - B diminished

As you can see, caps represent major triads, lowers represent minor.

The most important truth however, and the lesson I spent a little too much energy ignoring in school, is that all the knowledge in the world isn't helpful if you aren't sociable enough to have other people talking about and sharing the music you're making.

Also the world needs Prince memes.

Lake Titicaca

Go fuck yourself.

(User was banned for this post.)

Last edited by nitro2k01 (Apr 27, 2016 2:41 am)

Brunswick, GA USA

/thread

Melbourne, Australia
chunter wrote:

/thread

San Diego, CA

jesus

barf

oh man did someone say music theory

barf

you guys didn't invite me to this thread!!! what gives

vancouver, canada
JaffaCakeMexica wrote:

(User was banned for this post.)

BOY am I glad to never have to know what this guy's music sounds like.

Sweeeeeeden

It's only for a week though.

United States

does being banned for two separate posts in two separate threads on the same day have any particular implications

What a smart guy.

Alabama

Sad, we have to wait a week to jump down someone's throat. I guess we'll have to go back to normal discussions that are constructive now and then.

Sweeeeeeden
jangler wrote:

does being banned for two separate posts in two separate threads on the same day have any particular implications

He was at the end of his rope and both those posts were each reported twice, so those were the posts that caused the ban in the end.