Offline

you can also load presets with alt-shift-z

Offline
Jelly Stone park, MD USA
sandneil wrote:

there be a new release for windows and linux

osx forthcoming... hopefully

and we are trying to sort out continuous integration so we can do more regular releases

https://github.com/schismtracker/schismtracker/releases

This is awesome! Thanks so much, I've always been torn between Schism and Milky. But with the improvements to midi sync this really tips the scales for me. AND Adlib samples, WOW smile

Will be interested in building on the RPi (there is a SchismTracker in the repo but it's 2011 01 01 ver).
Yogi

Offline
Jelly Stone park, MD USA

OK so it builds on RPi2 B+ with Raspbian Jessie \o/
From the /doc/Building on Linux
installed these:   
build-essential automake autoconf autoconf-archive libx11-dev libxext-dev libxv-dev libxxf86vm-dev libsdl1.2-dev libasound2-dev mercurial libtool

But  libxxf86misc-dev isn't in the Debian respo. So it didn't get installed.

I also went through the list of deps for this SchismTracker package:
https://packages.debian.org/stable/sound/schism
They were all up to date on my system.

Then ran
mkdir -p build && cd build && ../configure && make
../configure seemed to finish but make failed with:
...
make  all-am
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/pi/schismtracker/build'
/bin/bash: schism/.dirstamp: Permission denied
Makefile:861: recipe for target 'schism/.dirstamp' failed
make[1]: *** [schism/.dirstamp] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/schismtracker/build'
Makefile:765: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

So tried changing permissions:
[email protected]:~ $ sudo chmod a+rw /home/pi/schismtracker
This didn't help. But then tried just 'sudo make' and this created a bin smile

Most of it works fine, in QjackCtl are the Midi In and Out ports; but had to go into .schism/.config and add:
[Audio]
...
  driver=alsa:default
to get sound out. So this loads the driver and plays great, but I can't have Jack open. I tried
  driver=alsa:dmix and just alsa but these didn't work. I'm not real sure if the dmix applies to Deb or I should be using some other argument.
Anyway, I still have to check out midi sync into other apps without Jack, but it's working very well at this point. I'll copy the bin to my dropbox if anyone needs it.
Yogi

Offline

good news! ty for that

Offline
Jelly Stone park, MD USA

Just a little follow up after some testing with MidiOx.
I'm using the current release Win32 20160913 with s3m Mods sending into Midi Ox's Midi Sync Transport detecting the Tempo.
On this setup there is a minor difference between the Mod's labled Tempo and the detected Tempo. Mods displaying Tempo 80 are detected at 81; and mods labeled as 125 are detected as Tempo of 128.
The difference is probably due to Midi Ox's detection smile Looks good!

One thing that I don't understand is the Midi Output Configuration page. The init values were:
start=FF
stop=FC
tick=
So I changed these to:
start=FA
stop=FC
tick=F8
At one point I wanted to see the Start/Stop message behaviour better, so I reset the tick field to blank. But ticks continued to be sent. Then also blanked the Start field but Start messages also are sent regardless of the values on the Midi Configure Page. Am I misunderstanding the use of this page? It does update the config file and I have tried re-starting Schism. Or does it describe how/what the tracker responds to?
It's not really an issue for me but just trying to understand,
Yogi

Last edited by yogi (Sep 17, 2016 7:34 pm)

Offline

i don't know, that's interesting, and something we could look at. it sounds broken to me!

though it's not as good as the program working, you can filter out certain kinds of message (e.g. tick) in the midiox settings somewhere, i believe

Offline
Jelly Stone park, MD USA

Oh yes, Midi ox is the tool to filter. 'Broken' or not, very happy to have it sending midi clock smile The other workaround is to set the Midi out port to disable

I'm not sure if it has impact but with these tests I had the Midi Mode set to  "IT semantics". But just a little bit ago I set it to "tracker semantics". I don't really know what the differences are but I noticed that with the latter setting, when I stop the mod, this is being send out:

› MidiOx log

It appears to me a more complete shutdown of all midi channels. Interesting feature.
Yogi

Offline
yogi wrote:

Just a little follow up after some testing with MidiOx.
I'm using the current release Win32 20160913 with s3m Mods sending into Midi Ox's Midi Sync Transport detecting the Tempo.
On this setup there is a minor difference between the Mod's labled Tempo and the detected Tempo. Mods displaying Tempo 80 are detected at 81; and mods labeled as 125 are detected as Tempo of 128.
The difference is probably due to Midi Ox's detection smile Looks good!

One thing that I don't understand is the Midi Output Configuration page. The init values were:
start=FF
stop=FC
tick=
So I changed these to:
start=FA
stop=FC
tick=F8
At one point I wanted to see the Start/Stop message behaviour better, so I reset the tick field to blank. But ticks continued to be sent. Then also blanked the Start field but Start messages also are sent regardless of the values on the Midi Configure Page. Am I misunderstanding the use of this page? It does update the config file and I have tried re-starting Schism. Or does it describe how/what the tracker responds to?
It's not really an issue for me but just trying to understand,
Yogi

are you able to compile yourself on windows? well spotted, it was pretty broken (just totally ignoring user settings and sending FA/FC/F8 no matter what). i think i have done a quick fix for start/stop/tick that should work (e.g. blanking out the tick field should send no tick messages) - if you're not able to compile it i will do a windows one for you ASAP

if you know of any midiox-like midi analyser for linux that would be great too

edit: oops forgot to link the branch

Last edited by sandneil (Sep 18, 2016 2:40 am)

Offline
Jelly Stone park, MD USA
sandneil wrote:
yogi wrote:

Just a little follow up after some testing with MidiOx.
I'm using the current release Win32 20160913 with s3m Mods sending into Midi Ox's Midi Sync Transport detecting the Tempo.
On this setup there is a minor difference between the Mod's labled Tempo and the detected Tempo. Mods displaying Tempo 80 are detected at 81; and mods labeled as 125 are detected as Tempo of 128.
The difference is probably due to Midi Ox's detection smile Looks good!

One thing that I don't understand is the Midi Output Configuration page. The init values were:
start=FF
stop=FC
tick=
So I changed these to:
start=FA
stop=FC
tick=F8
At one point I wanted to see the Start/Stop message behaviour better, so I reset the tick field to blank. But ticks continued to be sent. Then also blanked the Start field but Start messages also are sent regardless of the values on the Midi Configure Page. Am I misunderstanding the use of this page? It does update the config file and I have tried re-starting Schism. Or does it describe how/what the tracker responds to?
It's not really an issue for me but just trying to understand,
Yogi

are you able to compile yourself on windows? well spotted, it was pretty broken (just totally ignoring user settings and sending FA/FC/F8 no matter what). i think i have done a quick fix for start/stop/tick that should work (e.g. blanking out the tick field should send no tick messages) - if you're not able to compile it i will do a windows one for you ASAP

if you know of any midiox-like midi analyser for linux that would be great too

edit: oops forgot to link the branch

I don't have a Win toolchain (VS?) installed but do have the RPi setup (linux Deb Jessie). And I wish I could find a Linux 'MidiOx', the best I can do is set the midi out on the Pi to an interface and cable to another interface on the PC with MidiOx.

If you can do Win build that would be more direct, but I was going to do the Linux-to-Win setup anyways to test the RPi build. Will rebuild the RPi Schism in the AM at any rate smile
Yogi

Offline

thank you! that's really helpful smile

you can download the branch as a zip here, i shouldve mentioned: https://github.com/schismtracker/schism … config.zip

my windows is being a jerk right now but i'll try and get that to you soon. fwiw the windows toolchain is all free (no VS!) and not all that hard to install, if you do want to have a go, but definitely don't feel obliged: https://github.com/schismtracker/schism … windows.md

Offline
São Paulo, Brazil

got so excited with you guys keeping this great software alive I just did this track last night smile

Offline

@yogi, here we go https://dl.dropbox.com/s/vg66exuczksip4 … racker.exe smile

this may be of some interest to us both... http://das.nasophon.de/mididings/

@PULSELOOPER bangin'!! smile

Offline
Jelly Stone park, MD USA
sandneil wrote:

@yogi, here we go https://dl.dropbox.com/s/vg66exuczksip4 … racker.exe smile

this may be of some interest to us both... http://das.nasophon.de/mididings/

@PULSELOOPER bangin'!! smile

\o/ Great Work! Now totally configurable smile This is such a great patch to Schism (also really digging the OPL2 emu), Thank You So Much. It really opens up many possibilities for integrating drum machines and sequencers. Very excited! 

  As to the Win toolchain, I'm kind of halfway there. ATM have msys and GCC (arm-none-eabi 4.7) for Midibox.org builds, so will have to see if I can have the two side by side. May be with separate SET PATH= commands. And sorry, last night opened a 'pull request' not knowing what I was doing, I'm such a git-hub n00b.

  Had looked at Mididings, about a month ago (when I first started setting up the Pi) but once I figured out QjackCtl, kind of thought that was enough. A lot of what MidiOx does, routing wise, is seamless in ALSA so even QjackCtl isn't needed very much. Till now, hadn't needed the more in depth monitoring features of M.Ox on the Pi but will try out Mididings (I think it has an armhf build in the repo) because really do need a solid midi monitor.

@PULSLOOPER, A++ and thanks for the MOD file smile

Well, off to re-build on the Pi. Thanks again,
Yogi

Offline

really glad to hear that, yogi! smile

can i ask if note-on/note-off messages get sent? i am struggling with that but could be because i don't understand mididings

Last edited by sandneil (Sep 18, 2016 8:17 pm)

Offline
Jelly Stone park, MD USA

Also the 20160918 branch runs well on Pi, even subbed FA for MIDI tick. Spit out lots of Start messages HAHA. This was Pi to PC/MidiOx end-to-end test smile Another minor OT detail, Schism  does run with QjackCtl, just can't run the Jack server (which makes sense).

As to Note on/off, no don't see any traffic. But to me, thought it would be something like a 'instrument' set to a Channel to be used on a track. With the entry '9c n v'; this looks to me like hardcoded 9=high nibble of status, Note message, and  c=variable for low nibble, the Channel. With n and v variables to complete the message. So I thought either a placeholder for function or some way to send notes from a track.

Just did some simple tests, changing the Note On to 91 01 01, to see if it would send these absolute values but no. Then changed the 'Embed MIDI data' to On but no change. Much of the Midi Screen I don't understand, kind of 'poking at it with a stick to see if it does something' smile

It would be a wet dream if this works smile Being able to track an external synth along with samples would be the Holy Grail smile
Yogi

Offline
Jelly Stone park, MD USA

So yet another test.

I found the Zxx midi macro command, and this relates to the 'MIDI Output Configuration screen' Macro Setup. So I put Z83 (F0F00118) on a track and it sends a SysEx message-
  SYSX: 240 1 24 247 =  F0 01 18 F7
The 01 and 18 from the macro is framed by the SysEx Start F0 and End F7. Not sure of the rules here. So changed Z83 to F0F00118101010 and now sends-
  SYSX: 240 1 24 16 16 16 247 = F0 01 18 10 10 10 F7.

I'm guessing the second 'F0' denotes a SysEx type. Trying a change to 'F0910101' sent-
MidiOx: "145  1     1    2  C#-1 Note On"    Which reads NoteOnChannel2(0x91) C#-1(0x01) Velo(0x01).
Yogi