vancouver, canada

California
SketchMan3 wrote:

It's more likely that many niche musicians just don't make music that's exciting enough to live up to their level of enthusiasm towards it.

They're not conceited. The music just isn't all that interesting.

Ohhh ok I think OP just misunderstood the meaning of 'conceited' a bit. I can definitely see what he's getting at because I've definitely seen a whole crapload of bad 1xLSDJ dance acts that could really use some songwriting and arranging lessons going all at it on stage.
I think it's wrong to say that a complicated setup gives you more permission to hype up your stuff than a single gameboy setup though, since I'm sure there's plenty of acts that use a ton of modular gear and still sound like butt.

Last edited by VCMG (Jun 27, 2016 9:59 pm)

California

I still don't get the 'old age' part though. like, most of the people you're talking about are probably fairly young and haven't been doing chip for that long

Lake Titicaca

I would hazard a guess that most of you are in your mid-thirties to early forties, no?

California

I'm 19 and most of the chipmusicians I know are in their mid-20s to early-30s. If you go to an open mic at an all-ages chipshow there's a good chance you'll see people who are even younger than 18 (and they're the ones who tend to do the bad LSDJ stuff). If you go towards the more demoscene-y side the average age is probably higher though.

Lake Titicaca

o.k, sorry about that.

I thought because its old technology it would be thirty something mostly, like if you had an original gameboy when you were a kid.

yeah, i know what you mean with the demoscene 1996 ish.

Last edited by JaffaCakeMexica (Jun 27, 2016 11:34 pm)

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

Who are we suggesting is excessively proud of oneself (or vain), because they're old and use Game Boys to make tracks?

In my experience, I've never met a group of people so generally young, or so wracked with self-doubt than chip musicians.

NC in the US of America

10k wrote:

In my experience, I've never met a group of people so generally young, or so wracked with self-doubt than chip musicians.

This made me laugh out loud for some reason.

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs
SketchMan3 wrote:

I really thought it was going to be one of the tracks from 10 Songs.

Lake Titicaca

What you 1 x DMGers need is a dance troupe and a hype man to back you up on stage or an exciting musical video recording such as this one:

Last edited by JaffaCakeMexica (Jun 29, 2016 12:48 am)

UK
VCMG wrote:

I'm 19 and most of the chipmusicians I know are in their mid-20s to early-30s. If you go to an open mic at an all-ages chipshow there's a good chance you'll see people who are even younger than 18 (and they're the ones who tend to do the bad LSDJ stuff). If you go towards the more demoscene-y side the average age is probably higher though.

Could you provide an example of the typical 'bad lsdh stuff' you might hear from people younger than 18? im interested

Finland

Fascinating stuff here.

Something that I've noticed in a lot of smaller music-scenes, not limited to but including chipmusic is kind of a feeling among some of the "new guys" that, shit who cares? let's just make a game boy fire random noises on all channels and we'll dance to it because it's genuine and punk and it's full of heart. Who cares? It's JUST A GAME BOY.

I understand that thinking, but it's also making incredible light of what chipmusic CAN be. I don't get into that personally and I tend to ignore that kind of attitude since that doesn't really read to me as something that genuine in the end, it reads as a waste of time to me (says the adult man who plays with game boys yeah yeah yeah).
Anyway, those people tend to not last long, which strengthens my personal analysis of them not being that into it, they're just bandwagoning something that's been around for a long time because maybe it got a spurt of activity in the public eye or whatever?

This happens in a lot of genres, as i said, chipmusic isn't the only one, but it's easiest to get away with in smaller scenes/venues where people mostly don't even expect too much.

now if this is the SAME thing we're talking about? Probably not. I really see it kind of as the opposite, the most bold, conceited people you find in any artistic output are the hot, young up-and-comers who think that they've already conquered something that people have been perfecting for years and years. The wannabe pioneer, so to speak, "wow gosh this was easy why are you all bothering making chiptunes for 20 years when im already better than you!? golly gosh!"

Lake Titicaca

Hear, hear!

My sentiments exactly.

JaffaCakeMexica wrote:

when the chip act came on it was just a one gameboy setup with no effects and the guy was jumping around hyping his stuff way too much for what it was. He basically cleared the floor instantly.

Not meaning to troll here, but did you and your friend consider that maybe their music just...wasn't good? Or maybe their stage presence was just off?

It seems kind of aloof to categorize a whole collective just because of one person's stage presence. There are a ton of people who go crazy on stage but it works for them. Good presence is a complicated formula that, in my honest opinion, is composed of: quality of the music, right audience, demeanor, and appearance.

I really think that if a person molds these qualities to be cohesive then it can help avoid awkward first impressions. Or maybe being ironic is their thing and they aim to make a vibe that doesn't quite match up. But I think the important thing is that they have to own it and not just dabble around. The point I'm trying to make here is that maybe the performer wasn't being conceited at all, but just presented themselves poorly either with poor content or maybe you weren't the right audience for it? So many things to consider here.

Last edited by an0va (Jun 28, 2016 9:06 pm)

france

I think you were just in a bad show with a bad performer. I don't go to 8 bit party, so I don't see good or bad performer live.
But I've seen a lot of bad party with poor musician some were conceited and they were not using a dmg wink