Tokyo, Japan

Unfortunately I think the current article, while being very good, isn't likely to match Wikipedia's verifiability criteria. It's kind of an inherent problem with many nascent bits of culture in a post internet age, they are very very difficult to define in a manner supportable by a "reliable source".

I do think Goto80 hits most of the important points rather elegantly here:

http://chipflip.wordpress.com/chipmusic/

Last edited by Lazerbeat (Jul 24, 2010 3:47 pm)

New York City
animalstyle wrote:

As far as saying that we don't have the right...  that's anything far from the truth.  Thats like saying we don't have the right to define our own unique style because style is a concept that is much larger than us.  what?  The consitution of the US was defined by individuals and made to structure something much greater than the themself.

ok let me put it in more context then given the situation.
As far as I remember, nobody here has been elected President of Chiptune and has as such no right to talk in lieu of others.

I don't think you have consulted with others here how to change it, you just went and changed it, for your own reasons. There was no general consensus and no debate. How is that any better than what it was there before?

Maybe that makes it clear.

killadelphia
8GB wrote:

I don't think you have consulted with others here how to change it, you just went and changed it, for your own reasons. There was no general consensus and no debate. How is that any better than what it was there before?

last i checked - that's the idea behind wikipedia.  to be able to edit stuff.

what was there before made it sound like if you used samples then you were not creating chip music.

ok let me put it into contex.  I started THIS thread to create a discussion, to open the debate, and to create a better article on wikipedia.  Not to argue with 8GB or to become the president of chiptune.  you are missing the point here.

why don't we start posting definitions and bounce them off eachother instead of debating whether we should or should not do this?

New York City

I do't have any energy to devote to this.
It was not my intention to offend you with my words. I didn't even said that you wanted to be the president of chiptune, I just used your example about the constitution to support my point of view that what has happened is wrong.

I depart the thread I shouldn't have entered, after all I expressed my opinion in my first post and I stand by it.

Sorry about the inconvenience.

BOSTON
Lazerbeat wrote:

I do think Goto80 hits most of the important points rather elegantly here:

http://chipflip.wordpress.com/chipmusic/

Wow, thanks for a great link. I hadn't read that one before, which is really too bad... it's probably the most well-researched and in-depth definition I've seen. And it totally wouldn't work for a wikipedia definition, haha.

"Chipmusic may or may not be a genre or a form, which might use some specific hardware (unless it doesn't) some of which might include video game sound-chips"

Last edited by BR1GHT PR1MATE (Jul 24, 2010 11:56 pm)

killadelphia

I agree it (http://chipflip.wordpress.com/chipmusic/) is better.   Why can't we tweak that and port it to wikipedia.  I'd be happier with that.

emailed anders...

Last edited by animalstyle (Jul 25, 2010 3:24 am)

CHIPTUNE

I think there are enough published material to write a well-referenced article, if only for the sake of lazy journalists/bloggers. From the earliest use of the term (as far as I've managed to find), chipmusic was a combination of technical restraints (filesize), aesthetics (beeps) and method (trackers) on the Amiga. Fakebit is more a reaction to the newer PSG/FM-centric definition of chipmusic, I guess. I published early ideas about this (and chipmusic as media/form) in Karen Collins' book From Pac Man to Pop Music.

I'm currently finishing my thesis on chipmusic, which partly focuses on the "social construction" of chipmusic rather than the ill-fated dream of one (1) "objective" definition (whatever that would be). It's not as easy to say that it's (almost) a consequence of hardware, for example since the software has standardized so many aesthetical elements. The techno-centric way of thinking also reproduces some rather dusty (humanist/individualist) ideas of man & machine as two completely separate things.

Anyway. If someone wants to get these ideas into Wikipedia, feel free to fight the Wikipedia maffia and I can join in and help. I still think that the media-form distinction works, where media is both production/distribution/consumption, whereas form is more about consumption. After my thesis, I'll try to get some of these things published so there'll be some more weapons in the Wikipedia war smile

Unsubscribe

Or maybe the chipscene should have its own peer reviewed wiki.

BOSTON
goto80 wrote:

Wikipedia maffia

Last edited by BR1GHT PR1MATE (Jul 25, 2010 1:31 pm)

IL, US
herr_prof wrote:

Or maybe the chipscene should have its own peer reviewed wiki.

+1
this would help reduce how often useful articles get deleted as well

uhajdafdfdfa

Yes that's a good idea since the 8bc wiki died and chipmusic.org doesn't have one.

Chip music: Any music composed using source file formats (.nsf, .sid. .sap, etc.) that can be emulated or played on real hardware.

Fake bit: Any music composed using samples of source file formats.

Nuttshelled

Last edited by Heosphoros (Jul 25, 2010 3:01 pm)

killadelphia
Heosphoros wrote:

i guess mod files have no legitamicy?  again - this is only talking about the tools and not the culture.  music is not just tools. the history is just as important.  no disrepect Heos...  did you read the earlier posts?

herr_prof we need:

goto80 wrote:

a well-referenced article, if only for the sake of lazy journalists/bloggers

a peer reviewed article would be nice in concept, but i don't know...   that still doesn't solve the problem of wikipedia - unless we ported it over afterwards.

Last edited by animalstyle (Jul 25, 2010 3:19 pm)

animalstyle wrote:
Heosphoros wrote:

i guess mod files have no legitamicy?  again - this is only talking about the tools and not the culture.  music is not just tools. no disrepect Heos...  did you read the earlier posts?

Nah, tl;dr.

I see what you mean about the .it and .mod, though. However, they would fall under fakebit on my radar. If I can't play the source file on its respected hardware, then it isn't pure.

I'm not saying that it's bad. Hell, most .it and .mod are fucking AMAZING and done by seriously tallented composers/trackers.

I'm just an oldschool biggit purist with no modern new age thinking, haha.

uhajdafdfdfa
Heosphoros wrote:

Chip music: Any music composed using source file formats (.nsf, .sid. .sap, etc.) that can be emulated or played on real hardware.

Nuttshelled

How about polly tracker sids? VST? Samples which aren't from source file formats? What's real hardware and what isn't? Is a 386 with soundblaster "real hardware"? Is ahx fakebit? Is music made with more than one system and mixed in modern software (little-scale springs to mind) fakebit? As for "respected [sic] hardware", Amiga and PC are mod and IT's hardware respectively and you can play mods on amiga and IT on PC, so what's fake about that?

The fakebit article should just be deleted/merged with the chiptune article, it doesn't seem to contain any useful or interesting information.

ant1 wrote:
Heosphoros wrote:

Nuttshelled

How about polly tracker sids? VST? Samples which aren't from source file formats? What's real hardware and what isn't? Is a 386 with soundblaster "real hardware"? Is ahx fakebit? Is music made with more than one system and mixed in modern software (little-scale springs to mind) fakebit? As for "respected [sic] hardware", Amiga and PC are mod and IT's hardware respectively and you can play mods on amiga and IT on PC, so what's fake about that?

The fakebit article should just be deleted/merged with the chiptune article, it doesn't seem to contain any useful or interesting information.

All really good and valid points man, it's a really sticky subject.