rochester, ny

damn, the white cart is so good looking.

nickmaynard wrote:

totally agree

Minneapolis
Apeshit wrote:

I happen to have a spare NES cable with no controller, a 32 pin socket, diodes, transitors, wires, a gyromite donor, which seems to be what you're using, and tons of caps. Being a scavenger pays off sometimes.

Well, it's not a gyromite donor, even though you can see the case from a gyromite, that's just so I don't have to cut another case with slots. smile You'll need an SNROM donor. I suggest Shingen the Ruler or Bard's Tale.

nickmaynard wrote:

Thanks guys!

Matthew Joseph Payne

Oh man, awesome. Put me in the "get a flashed chip and build one" camp too. This is really so great, arfink, thank you!

nickmaynard wrote:

I love the White Cart. It's so bad.

arfink wrote:

Most people with a NES and a PC should have most things, and the rest is easy to get. You'll need a proper donor cart, a spare controller cable or extension cable, a USB to serial cable, and some basic electronics components including resistors, a diode, a PNP transistor, some thin wire for making jumpers, and on some donors, a capacitor. And of course, the flash chip. And probably a 32 pin socket if you want to play it safe. But this will all be covered in the tutorial.

Any Idea when people like me can expect to see this tutorial? And what price would we be looking at for the programmed Chip from you (Sorry if this has been mentioned but I never seen it)? Also besides these beta carts your making now will you make more if someone is willing or pay, or are some beta carts still available?

blargg wrote:
nickmaynard wrote:

I love the White Cart. It's so bad.

Nice Wizard reference (well sorta tongue )

Minneapolis
Atrion wrote:
arfink wrote:

Most people with a NES and a PC should have most things, and the rest is easy to get. You'll need a proper donor cart, a spare controller cable or extension cable, a USB to serial cable, and some basic electronics components including resistors, a diode, a PNP transistor, some thin wire for making jumpers, and on some donors, a capacitor. And of course, the flash chip. And probably a 32 pin socket if you want to play it safe. But this will all be covered in the tutorial.

Any Idea when people like me can expect to see this tutorial? And what price would we be looking at for the programmed Chip from you (Sorry if this has been mentioned but I never seen it)? Also besides these beta carts your making now will you make more if someone is willing or pay, or are some beta carts still available?

Oh dear, all the dreaded questions all at the same time! big_smile Well except for one.

When will there be a tutorial: I don't know. When the beta is over.
Price for programmed chip: I don't know.
Besides beta carts will there be more: Yes, most definitely. But not until it all gets released.

Other questions people might ask:
Can I preorder one: No.
Can I come to your house for $1500: NO. Just no. XD

Ciudad de méxico, MX

heart

Has there been any update on things?

Minneapolis

Well, just the update I posted about 1 week ago. Fear not, things are still going, just no big huge glamorous updates right now. Oh, I got some NPN transistors today and I'll be making more cables tomorrow, if that counts as an update. I haven't got any updates to report for software, and the mundane beta builds have been, well... mundane. smile

EDIT: in other words, stay tuned and be patient and you will eventually receive real updates. Hehe.

Last edited by arfink (Oct 14, 2010 2:48 am)

Lafayette

I really want a Munchausen Flash Cartridge; they look so wicked awesome.

It's like a PowerPAK Lite except it doesn't require you to buy a $70 copyNES; It has all of the good features of the PP Lite with a improved way of adding new games. Perfect!

Last edited by DreamMary (Oct 19, 2010 5:10 am)

Minneapolis

Well, i don't know how the features stack up to a powepak lite so I can't say for certain it stacks all the way up there. But thanks for the kinds words. smile

As far as the beta is going, we have hit a bit of a snag. Blargg discovered that the previous cable design, while very simple to build, is badly flawed. First of all, the protocol is a bit strange and difficult to work with, which is hanging up certain aspects of the code. Secondly, the design degrades the transistor being used in the circuit, leading to eventual failure of the cable. This is unacceptable, so it'll need to be reworked. And of course, with a cable redesign will have to come some code changes as well, to accommodate the new, non-self-destructing cables.

Missouri

That's too bad. But at least it was caught in beta. Keep up the good work, I am ready to purchase at least one of these when they're available.

Minneapolis

Yeah, it's good it's getting caught now. BTW, it's technically getting caught in pre-beta, as the beta users would have had a wonderful hair-tearing experience if they were in on this too.

Just a quick update on things- I'm possibly going to be leaving my state of unemployment and getting a job (finally, yay!), and hopefully it won't slow me down too badly. Thank you all for being patient and supportive.

SLC, UT
arfink wrote:

Just a quick update on things- I'm possibly going to be leaving my state of unemployment and getting a job (finally, yay!), and hopefully it won't slow me down too badly. Thank you all for being patient and supportive.

Nice! What are you looking at doing? Becoming a mad scientist and developing next gen humanoid robots to climb ladders and fight wasps?

Minneapolis
stargazer wrote:
arfink wrote:

Nice! What are you looking at doing? Becoming a mad scientist and developing next gen humanoid robots to climb ladders and fight wasps?

Sadly, no mad science. The stupid thing is, given how bad the US economy is right now, I won't even be considered for any technical field unless I have some certifications, no matter how good I am. (I'm no genius with this stuff.) It's just a job in a bakery, because after 5 months out of work making dough looks pretty good. hyuk yuk. tongue I go in to sign the paperwork Thursday.

Fortunately for my side projects like this one, I'll still have a good amount of time to work on it. I'll just have to re-arrange my sleep schedule to make up for the fact that I'll be getting up for work at 4 AM. But my shift ends at noon. So hey, not too shabby.