Nomad's Land
arfink wrote:
neilbaldwin wrote:

Yeah, right on brother!

Hang on, which one is NTRQ?

Yours is a triple-decker deep dish pizza with everything on it.

i'd say ntrq is more of a sandwich, many things squeezed between two slices of bread. at first it's hard to get a bite out of it, but once you get past that part it can be quite delicious. famitracker is clearly the kleenex, not really an essential thing but convenient to have.

Last edited by irrlichtproject (Aug 20, 2010 12:32 am)

☺☺☺

lol what would you gaiz do if JSR was posting in this thread too? tongue

p.s.  I like both trackers smile

Last edited by Emar (Aug 20, 2010 1:59 am)

philly
SnuGG wrote:

Reply with what you think is better and why please!

They are both amazing trackers. They have their own strengths and it wouldn't feel right to blindly recommend one over the other. smile

If you're used to other PC-based trackers, famitracker will likely be the one that's easier to get into. Having more screen space, along with a mouse and keyboard, means working in an environment that's probably more familiar to you. I would likely recommend famitracker to someone who is more comfortable with a tracker like modplug, for example. One pro for famitracker over NTRQ is its support for various sound expansion chips and its built-in wav to .dmc converter.

NTRQ is a badass tracker that runs natively on the system or in an emulator, as it is an actual .NES ROM. Its functionality is nothing short of impressive. It's loaded with the features and effects you'd want, it can even pitch-slide arpeggios (I don't believe famitracker can do this). It is very advanced and won't disappoint in terms of 'I wish I could do this'.  I would likely recommend NTRQ first to someone who may be more comfortable with something like LSDJ.

So it mostly comes down to a preference of interface and aesthetic. If you'd like to compose on the actual system with an NES controller in your hand, there's NTRQ. If you prefer using a mouse and keyboard and windows, there's famitracker. If you have no starting preference and want to give one a shot, I recommend trying both.

Last edited by bucky (Aug 20, 2010 2:30 am)

Nomad's Land
Emar wrote:

lol what would you gaiz do if JSR was posting in this thread too? tongue

fuck yes i call death fight: jsr vs baldwin

Wheeling, WV

NTRQ

Until they make a native Mac version of Famitracker, then I'm all over it.

Chicago IL
an-cat-max wrote:
Beware wrote:

PPMCK is clearly the right decision.

thisguy.nsf

i laughed with my mouth closed cause there's macaroni in there

Seoul, S. Korea
hotmessization wrote:

NTRQ

Until they make a native Mac version of Famitracker, then I'm all over it.

I think this is what sold me too... Running CrossOver or Wine to run Fami just doesn't go smooth enough.

Plus NTRQ is more visually appealing I think.

Neil, you win this round...

Wellington, New Zealand

I like famitracker because i'm good with tracker interfaces, but NTRQ is a bit crazy with it all jam-packed into one screen. they both have their ups and downs. The end result is pretty much the same, like Heosphoros said