nz

Mine just arrived and I'm very impressed with the build quality and prompt delivery all the way out here in New Zealand.  Thanks man.

Last edited by droffset (Sep 28, 2010 10:25 pm)

Los Angeles
low-gain wrote:
NeX wrote:

i hope Scienceguy doesn't mind me stepping into his shoes here, but i sell arduinoboys, if people still want them and Scienceguy is done with building them, then mail me: Ralph (dot) nex (at) gmail (dot) com

haha. for a brief moment i thought about selling shell enclosures for Arduinoboy's. wink
maybe i still will.. simply program arduino chip w/ arduinoboy software and plug into socket.

Thats not a bad idea. I'm actually rather disappointed that people would rather buy the arduinoboy then learn something new and DIY.
All of the hard stuff was figured out, it's rather quite easy to build your own. Especially with the midivox midi shield arduino kit. I should post a tutorial on that.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Last edited by low-gain (Sep 29, 2010 1:24 am)

Los Angeles

Yeah with that shield, you of course dont need the amp ic, or volume pot, all you do is solder it up and then solder on the wires for the gamelink jack. I had to do it when I was at maker faire cause the arduinoboy i brought was busted. Went to the store in the faire and got that- super easy, just needs slight code modification since there would be no mode button, mode switch and 5 leds- then again its not really modification, there are already settings in the code that make that change cakewalk.

i sell arduino kits, they are actually very popular, shame they barely make enough money to restock the parts

Geneva, NY
trash80 wrote:

I'm actually rather disappointed that people would rather buy the arduinoboy then learn something new and DIY

Some of us have enough DIY fixing leaky roofs and rearing children and when we have a tiny window for time for ourselves, we'd rather make songs, not circuits!  wink

Adelaide, Australia

Forgot to post that mine arrived about a week ago. Looks fantastic and works well as far as I've had a chance to use it.

Also this:

bleo wrote:

Some of us have enough DIY fixing leaky roofs and rearing children and when we have a tiny window for time for ourselves, we'd rather make songs, not circuits!

smile

Los Angeles

Yeah... Well you are the ones making music on devices not intended for music production in the first place. Also with the 30 mins of soldering you could have used the saved money to buy your kids some ice cream. Some of my earliest memories as a child was watching and learning from my father soldering a memory expansion to our amiga 1000. To me it's all just excuses. wink

Matthew Joseph Payne

Having the opportunity to play with toys like this without having to build them first is such a wild privilege of the 21st century - I've been helping my wife with a bunch of fiber stuff she's doing, building her drop spindles, fiber cleaning racks; I nearly built her a spinning wheel, but wound up buying one for her birthday instead.

I mod my own Nintendo gear and I build other instruments as well, and the feeling of accomplishment when you've made music on such a device far outstrips any other.

Adelaide, Australia

I do normally do DIY anyway and would definitely endorse it. big_smile Thanks for the wise words, trash80.

california
trash80 wrote:

Yeah... Well you are the ones making music on devices not intended for music production in the first place. Also with the 30 mins of soldering you could have used the saved money to buy your kids some ice cream. Some of my earliest memories as a child was watching and learning from my father soldering a memory expansion to our amiga 1000. To me it's all just excuses. wink

Wow, thanks for mentioning that actually. I looked up the directions and it looks pretty easy. I thought it would be really expensive/excruciating to make one. One thing I dont get, is there actually a dmg sound chip that goes in to it? I can't tell...

EDIT: Oh it links up. nm. smile

Last edited by gizmo (Oct 6, 2010 4:34 am)

Carbondale, IL

When I had originally started this project, I had only meant for these to be bought by those who had not the time, skill, or money to do it themselves.  I love making things myself and I bet 90% of the people on this board share the same passion for making things.  It was never my intention to make people feel that the only way to get an ArduinoBoy was through me.  I suppose I just did too good of a job.  I'm thinking that 68 ArduinoBoys brought into this world by my hand is more than enough, and I consider it highly unlikely that I will ever build one to sell again.  Experiment, maybe, but not sell on such a massive scale as before.  Of course, that leaves me with a little over 75 left over printed circuit boards I really don't need.  Good thing they make great coasters. big_smile

scienceguy8 wrote:

When I had originally started this project, I had only meant for these to be bought by those who had not the time, skill, or money to do it themselves.  I love making things myself and I bet 90% of the people on this board share the same passion for making things.  It was never my intention to make people feel that the only way to get an ArduinoBoy was through me.  I suppose I just did too good of a job.  I'm thinking that 68 ArduinoBoys brought into this world by my hand is more than enough, and I consider it highly unlikely that I will ever build one to sell again.  Experiment, maybe, but not sell on such a massive scale as before.  Of course, that leaves me with a little over 75 left over printed circuit boards I really don't need.  Good thing they make great coasters. big_smile

you have PCBs left??

well thats perfect! sell those to people who want to make their own, do like a simple guide and provide just the PCB, i bet that would sell well and get people into making stuff

Cambridge, MA

I would buy to make my own. smile

Los Angeles

By the way i didn't mean to sound like I was attacking anyone. I'm glad to see the project is being used in every way possible. smile

Unsubscribe

Am I correct in assuming that the pin headers there are for an ftdi cable? It can be used to update the software in the chip?