Nomad's Land

Errmm, guys, do we really need 2 different captchas just for logging in? I'm sure that's not going to help this site's popularity. Also numeric captchas have been proven to be inefficient against bots. And what's the point anyway? Spammers should be filtered out during registration. If they can beat the registration process then chances are they can beat the login, no?

IL, US

Unless someone else has been getting there first & deleting the posts, I've actually seen a significant drop in spambots since it was put in place so it seems to be working

Bratislava, Slovakia

i enter during my login only my user name and password, i skip captcha with no problemo...

Nomad's Land

My point still stands that 1) spammers should be filtered out during registration, not during login and 2) double captcha is pointless since one of them is an oldschool numeric one that is virtually useless against bots. (Even Recaptcha can be beaten quite easily at times but it seems most spammers lack the sophistication to do that.) If you do want to use captcha, then use it for registration (probably that's implemented already) and for when new users are posting (as an extra restriction up to the 10th post or so).

If you already had a captcha mechanism in place for new registrations, but were still getting those massive spam attacks, then that suggests there's something wrong with cm's registration process, and that should be looked into.

Btw spambot questions seem to be a quite good deterrant for the time being ("Which company produced the Gameboy?"), but you have to come up with a new one once in a while because if one spammer guesses the answer correctly they'll usually go on to share the secret.

@martin_demsky That means that you are probably logged into Google, or otherwise don't protect your online privacy a lot so Google can identify you.

Last edited by irrlichtproject (Jan 16, 2019 1:27 pm)

Bratislava, Slovakia

I don't use Google but Yahoo, only when i upload video to YouTube i login (i can use my yahoo email login so gmail is not necessary), but at most time i am logged out. At work we transfered commercial e-mail and its services (with Jira) to Google, but i use only for this Chrome and not Safari, and at home it is same, i am not logged, because i don't need to be (to use google services like search or maps). Only thing i am signed pernamently to is yahoo mail app in my phone.

According to that captcha, once upon a time i created forum for keyboarders (later it was merged with a bigger forum and it was created mainly to support launch of Kurzweil PC3 series of workstations) i also have had problems with bots or robots, but since i used nice trick with reverse captcha i never meet another bot/robot problem.

Last edited by martin_demsky (Jan 16, 2019 6:47 pm)

Los Angeles

Where do you see two login verifications? The only one that should be there is recaptcha, and it's only REALLY required if you are a new user.

Nomad's Land

Seems to be fine now, currently only getting the recaptcha. Was also able to bypass that just now, however the ability to do so seems to depend on time of day, windchill factor, and current astrological constellation.