trash80 wrote:

Re: SMD soldering. It's pretty easy if you get the technique down. Check out this pdf as an example from sparkfun http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Prot … Basics.pdf ... also this page has a lot more if you scroll down: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/tutori … als_id=107

Thanks for the links! I have ordered non-SMD replacements though, so only the desoldering should be tricky. smile

RG wrote:

You may want to check your power supply or the audio circuit with a multimeter. It's possible that your supply "works" but fucks up the audio. This was an issue with my first amiga and didn't really think of it until you said the caps were clean. There's a simple way to test for this/should be some instructions on aminet.

Interesting! The PSU I'm using is actually some very sketchy DIY thing the previous owner of my Amiga made. It may very well be the problem! I'll look into this, and if it is the problem, then I guess I'll just have the replacement caps ready for the future when they really do fail.

New York City
Awol wrote:

Interesting! The PSU I'm using is actually some very sketchy DIY thing the previous owner of my Amiga made. It may very well be the problem! I'll look into this, and if it is the problem, then I guess I'll just have the replacement caps ready for the future when they really do fail.

Is "sketchy": actually a PC PSU? If so, that'd be much better than an Amiga one.
I don't think this would cause MISSING AUDIO at all. You should replace the caps nonetheless.

Yeah I think it's a PC PSU.

Well, I made an audio probe, but now the video on my Amiga is malfunctioning as well. It boots to Workbench just fine, but when I ran some demos the text was garbled and one alternated between running too fast and too slow. It was working fine a minute before! Maybe I accidentally fried something with static when I was moving it around? Or hopefully it's just a loose connection somewhere? hmm

EDIT: And now my audio has started working, albeit at an extremely low volume!

EDIT2: Audio is garbled sometimes though. I am also getting freezes and crashes.

Last edited by Awol (Oct 8, 2010 2:27 am)

New York City
Awol wrote:

when I ran some demos the text was garbled and one alternated between running too fast and too slow. It was working fine a minute before! Maybe I accidentally fried something with static when I was moving it around? Or hopefully it's just a loose connection somewhere? hmm

There are no such things as loose connections inside an Amiga or something that feeble that would cause random bugs, this is a modern computer, not a C64 smile
I think your problem is trying to run demos on an NTSC machine. Did you switch it to PAL? Nothing runs in NTSC, basically.

EDIT2: Audio is garbled sometimes though. I am also getting freezes and crashes.

Capacitor problem. Change them immediately before they make any more problems.
You can't be sure of any further troubles unless you change EVERY capacitor in the Amiga, not just audio. Capacitors are top on the list when troubleshooting Amiga SMD hardware.

akira^8GB wrote:
Awol wrote:

when I ran some demos the text was garbled and one alternated between running too fast and too slow. It was working fine a minute before! Maybe I accidentally fried something with static when I was moving it around? Or hopefully it's just a loose connection somewhere? hmm

There are no such things as loose connections inside an Amiga or something that feeble that would cause random bugs, this is a modern computer, not a C64 smile
I think your problem is trying to run demos on an NTSC machine. Did you switch it to PAL? Nothing runs in NTSC, basically.

It's a PAL machine! And I wasn't switching it to NTSC at boot.

akira^8GB wrote:
Awol wrote:

Capacitor problem. Change them immediately before they make any more problems.
You can't be sure of any further troubles unless you change EVERY capacitor in the Amiga, not just audio. Capacitors are top on the list when troubleshooting Amiga SMD hardware.

Ok, I'll try switching out the audio capacitors then and see if that helps. I will have to order more to do the rest though.

New York City

hm yeah a quick answerer I was, sorry tongue Your machine is indeed PAL!

Garbled text could be anything like corrupted memory. This can happen after you run some shit, some program crashes and what not. Always make your tests after a cold boot.

Regarding the speed, it could be anything, probably teh demo is pushing the machine too hard. Are you sure you are running a demo apt for a STOCK A1200?

New York City

Here's more data for those who want to replace capacitors on both A1200 and A600 machines:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=44138