Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Covers?
you mean just for an online release correct?

Hope it comes out soon.

NorthTtrrrway

It will also be a physical release.
But also for the online release, part of the artwork needs to be made by hand, scanned and then uploaded.

Plink from errorcode could give more details.

low-gain wrote:

Covers?
you mean just for an online release correct?

Hope it comes out soon.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
the mist toggles wrote:

It will also be a physical release.
But also for the online release, part of the artwork needs to be made by hand, scanned and then uploaded.

Plink from errorcode could give more details.

Why dont i remember you talking about a physical release?
That being said.... I think this should have been discussed with those submitting tracks. (not just on a public forum)
How are sales going to be handled? What's each artists cut?

I dont mean to be a buzz kill here.. but I'm not donating my track so that others can profit off it.
That might come off as really lame.. but i'm sorry..

Last edited by low-gain (Aug 4, 2010 12:07 pm)

NorthTtrrrway

don't worry, none will make anything of course.
contributors will probably get free cd(s)...
again, more details about the final bits from Plink

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

what do you mean no one will be making anything?

If you're selling physical copies... money is being taken in. And depending on cost of production.. eventually a profit is to be made.
If you dont for see making your money back on the project, then there's no point in making physical releases... and it should just be made
available for free online.

This should have been discussed with all the contributing artists BEFORE.
If artists are going to be given free copies... this also should be discussed..

I dont mean to come off like a greedy fuck.. but this type of project management bugs me. it's "shady" to me.

NorthTtrrrway

all you say would have been valid in the occasion when someone would try to benefit.

maybe hard, but try to see it as a non-beneficial thing.
what it actually means is that people send their tracks, they are selected (if needed) and organized  and mastered (volume only) in something as a whole.
they are released and hosted by errorcode and can be downloaded for free. like every other comp.

Errorcode (Plink specifically) was nice enough to propose to work even more to make something nice not to make money.
so we worked on a cover idea that will look and feel better also on a physical format (cd).

this physical format will cost exactly as much as the costs for the materials spent by errorcode. no profit will be made. so, the price for the physical will probably be minimal and go to the minus errorcode has from making this. contributors will get one or more free copies. we actually discussed this before everything, in order to make sure that we agree that it is all based on a non profitable mindset.

the point is: this will not lead to profit, but only led and still does to more work.

If this added effort is misunderstood, i think it's because it might be difficult for some to see that not everyone here is trying to make money.

long story short, if more people disagree with the idea of a non-profitable physical release, we might as well skip it. it will save us some time and effort.
If only individual cases want out of the comp for this reason, no problem at all. the list is long and the quality is high. we could be some tracks less. only let me know in time so that we don't finalize the covers and inlays with your name on them.

I hope this makes sense and it's less "shady"... smile

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

how many copies will artists on the comp be getting?
I typically buy in 25 (1 box) copies on comps that i'm involved in...
But thats at an artist rate.

So it would be good to know how many i'm getting for free and if i can obtain more if need be.

Last edited by low-gain (Aug 4, 2010 1:14 pm)

NorthTtrrrway

no idea yet

it will depend on the final costs for each double-cd

-anyone else any opinions on this?

low-gain wrote:

how many copies will artists on the comp be getting?
I typically buy in 25 (1 box) copies on comps that i'm involved in...
But thats at an artist rate.

So it would be good to know how many i'm getting for free and if i can obtain more if need be.

Abandoned on Fire

The possibility of a "CDr" release was mentioned in the original post but unfortunately it's been edited.  sad  I like the concept of the "not-for-profit" release but as with anything non-profit it will be hard to PROVE that that is the case if it really comes down to it.

Since you say part of the packaging is being hand made I'm going to guess the total run of cds will be fairly small... so maybe the potential for profit is to small to worry about?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
egr wrote:

The possibility of a "CDr" release was mentioned in the original post but unfortunately it's been edited.  sad  I like the concept of the "not-for-profit" release but as with anything non-profit it will be hard to PROVE that that is the case if it really comes down to it.

Since you say part of the packaging is being hand made I'm going to guess the total run of cds will be fairly small... so maybe the potential for profit is to small to worry about?

Profit is profit..
And i prefer to avoid having money made off me, when i'm not making anything off me.

Easiest solution is to have those on the comp chip in to cover the costs of producing the physical copies and splitting the run up amongst the artists
appropriately.

Issue here is not everyone will want to pay out to have this done.. Which again, is why this stuff should have been discussed before hand with everyone.

Last edited by low-gain (Aug 4, 2010 1:51 pm)

Abandoned on Fire

Maybe it would be better to focus on how error code can assure everyone that no money beyond the cost of materials is being made?  Then, the physical release is no different from the free download... correct?  Other than being cool, I mean.  smile

NorthTtrrrway

it is as simple as that, thanks smile

egr wrote:

Maybe it would be better to focus on how error code can assure everyone that no money beyond the cost of materials is being made?  Then, the physical release is no different from the free download... correct?  Other than being cool, I mean.  smile

Last edited by the mist toggles (Aug 4, 2010 2:10 pm)

Athens

wow..guys...hold onnnn.....
let's get things straight.....because the last thing I want and need is to get misunderstood and have people think that i'm trying to make profit of others work!!!!

First of all, I started error code 2 years ago, in order to "promote" the chiptune and circuit bent scene in Greece, where almost noone knew anything about it. It started with my own expenses, and I never tried to make even 1 euro from it. I've organized 6 events so far, and I've brought a couple of times people from abroad. I always try to make events with free entrance (or with a minimal fee if I have to pay the venue)....so far I have paid more than 500 euros from my own pocket, just to organize events, pay for domain/host, pay for other expenses like posters etc etc...and I never asked to make 1 euro.

Secondly, concerning releases, I've made 5 releases so far, 4 are of greek artists of which I also made limited (50-200 copies) physical cdr releases.
However, even though I paid most of the expenses on my own (in some cases artists also contributed in the expense), I never even tried to get my money back.....and still haven't started to sell cdrs online, we sell only in events and so far we got back around 30% of the initial investment for each cdr release. I believe that the above facts are solid proof that at least I, and consequently error code, are not in it for any kind of profit.

Finally, concerning the detuned compilation.
I actually got involved after the tracks were ready and themistogles needed someone to release it.
However, I remember reading on the initial post, as already mentioned, that the guys who started the comp wanted to make a physical release also.
I don't know exactly what was said and done on the beginning, but I guess anyone who submitted tracks also read about the possible physical release.

In any case to make things straight, I never intended to make a profit from the comp.
The mp3 version of the compilation will ofcourse be available for free download through error code server, for ever!
The physical release, which would be limited (number would be decided after the final cost estimation), would be sold for a minimal amount.
My first estimation on the price was around 7-8 euros shipped for everywhere in the world).

Let's now analyze the cost of a DIY physical release.
Each compilation would require: 2 cdrs, printing materials, case materials, time + effort for creation, cdr duplicating devices, packaging materials and postage cost.
If you add everything up...you need for all the materials/printing cost around 2 euros + 1 euro for packaging materials + 3-5 euros for postage costs (depending on country)....
if you know some preliminary maths you would see that the cost might add up to 8 euros....without charging anything for all the time and effort I would have to offer to make everything possible.....
so, who can you see a profit here?

The idea was to sent only 1 free copy to each contributor -  -  because there would be no profit....in fact i'm actually paying more than I would ever get from this compilation....
imagine that just for sending 1 free copy to 20 people ...means around 80-100 euros that I have to pay from my own pocket....just for postage costs to the people who contributed.....
And even if I sold the physical release for 9 euros...and make 1-2 euros profit...it would need more than 60-70 cdrs sold, just to get back the money I would spent to sent 1 free cd to all contributors....

I really don't appreaciate people jumping around and accusing me without knowing what the situation is....especially when the discussion is about money....and when in reality i'm actually paying more than I would ever get, without ever asking anything in return.....!!!!

Low-gain, I'm sorry but there's no money for anyone here.....
I'm not doing this for the money, i'm doing this just because I like it ....!!!!
Noone ever mentioned a profit...before you did....
I don't like the whole issue here.....and I hate having to be apologetic without a proper reason....

I'm sorry all this had to go out in public...but I got really frustrated when I read today's discussion and whining in the thread...and I wanted to clarify things for everyone interested.......

the worst thing for me in life is when you make effort for a common cause...without any self interest...and in the end....someone blames you for whatever issue...pffff....blew this....

To be honest, I'm not in the mood now to work anymore on this ....but I know cancelling the whole thing would be lame....
soooo.....since I have also other things going on in my life...and finding time to work for this release wasn't the easiest thing....i'm stopping all efforts for the physical release....

I'll upload the compilation  later on error code...and whoever wants can go  download it for free.......

lowgain, if you want your track out of the online version of the comp...just let me know....

Leuven, Bellagium

I think it's sad and idiotic, that you have to cancel something awesome just because of a stupid misunderstanding... And therefore I hope, that there is going to be a physical release of this comp afterall. Your idea is something cool (and without a doubt the contributions of all the artists are too.), and it deserves being pressed on cd.

Ciudad de méxico, MX

Low-gain, i don't know what are you thinking. this is not the way to talk things. there are private ways to solve anything, with good will and understanding. If you don't agree with something, chill out!.

this whole physical release cancellation is really bad. It was a great idea.

Leuven, Bellagium
Analog wrote:

Low-gain, i don't know what are you thinking. this is not the way to talk things. there are private ways to solve anything, with good will and understanding. If you don't agree with something, chill out!.

this whole physical release cancellation is really bad. It was a great idea.

2nd! People these days...