Massachusetts
bucky wrote:
SKGB wrote:

be brutally honest

I hate to write off entire genres, but dubstep does nothing for me based on what I've heard (of both the chip and non-chip variety). Sorry dubstep fans. It's as if it is stitched together by the lesser enjoyable aspects of other genres. Worst of all worlds. I'll check out some things posted in this thread, however. People can feel free to post recommendations, I'll give them a chance...

It's possible I have somewhat the wrong impression, because I see SKGB mentioning Bit Shifter. I like his music and live performances!

Also, I cannot conceive how 'bro step' isn't a derogatory or mocking term. Perhaps I'm an asshole, but that sounds really bad to me, like something you'd say if you were making fun of it. tongue

I'm in the same boat as you. While I'm not someone that'll throw a friend's CD out of a moving car window, I can safely say I'm just not into it.

Although I've definitely heard a few chiptune attempts at it that were pretty decent, especially the ones listed in this thread.

It's funny you should say bro step, though. My friends and I almost always use bro as a slur. I'm not about to bash dubstep, but I can safely say I'm tired of it. At least its new found popularity, anyway. It's cool when anyone is passionate about the music they like and that's a fantastic thing. But when every single Monster energy guzzling, festival attending, light beer drinker is inundating my brain and parties and FB wall with it--shit's gotta change.

Bristol

... at least it is better than this 'witch house' I keep hearing and reading and being told is great when really its just... not very good...

But yeh, Dubstep has a time and place and I'm interested to see where things go next, there are some great non-chip artists already branching out, for example Nedry are one of my current fav's. It is a shame people are so tied to genre sometimes, I recently found a Grime compilation that I bought off Replex records in like 2004 and lo! The music was actually what people would now call dubstep.

Back on the chip side of things, to me the most important 'feature' of this dubby steppe is space, beats that bounce and cascade, and I honestly don't hear that in chiptune as its just not in its lo-fi nature really. Still, for every ten meh songs there is usually something inspiring and at least worth a listen.

Godzilladelph

it's just a shot in the dark here, but by bouncy cascading beats i think you may mean the copious amounts of echo and reverb used by the producers.
those things aren't impossible to emulate on old hardware, just require a lot of tweaking and experimentation i suppose

Bristol

correct, it's not that its impossible, just something that gets missed out a lot of the time. Also I bloomin love the sound of old tape delays, echoes and crusty reverbs, so that may cloud my judgement.

Washington DC
trash80 wrote:

Well don't pass judgement on people... Maybe they are making dubstep because it's new to them and they are just inspired by it.

Dubstep is popular right now. This is the same with all musical trends if you've been around long enough to follow them... Fuck genres, who cares if it's trendy, good music will last longer then the genre it's labeled into. Hopefully.

We'll soon enough see sites like this and others trickle down in active members as it becomes less and less popular. Wait, did I just say chip music itself is trendy right now? Does that make it a genre? Shit! *explodes*

You've just killed us all.

lolusa

I'm seeing shouts in the wrong direction (cow'p, quarta330, ???, minikomi...)
huge difference between dub and dubstep.
I'll shoot someone if someone says king tubby is comparable to rusko.

other than that, you definitely have to dig for some good dubstep. The only one I'd recommend is Phaeleh;

Massachusetts
ovenrake wrote:

I'm seeing shouts in the wrong direction (cow'p, quarta330, ???, minikomi...)
huge difference between dub and dubstep.
I'll shoot someone if someone says king tubby is comparable to rusko.

other than that, you definitely have to dig for some good dubstep. The only one I'd recommend is Phaeleh;
LINK REMOVED

I think it's pretty safe to say nothing I've been introduced to and told it was dubstep has sounded like that. That's not even close to the garbage I've heard. Maybe it's good because you can't womp to it.

Godzilladelph

quarta330 produces dubstep as well as dub. just sayin tongue

whatever, fuck genres i listen to music

Dublin, Ireland

Quarta330 (at least with the hyperdub releases) sits firmly within the dubstep realm.

bucky wrote:

Also, I cannot conceive how 'bro step' isn't a derogatory or mocking term. Perhaps I'm an asshole, but that sounds really bad to me, like something you'd say if you were making fun of it. tongue

Um, It is a derogatory term.  It became shorthand for the prevalent term of 'midrange khack' about a year or two back. Simply trying to separate off all the awful wobble shite with a separate name, as it may as well be it's own terrible, terrible genre.

Perhaps said bro's are simply dumb enough to miss that?

Last edited by iNFOTOXIN (Oct 20, 2010 1:14 pm)

140 was what i started at, but im way more into 128  & 90 bpm now! heh

pretty track there. also love what LV , floating points, ramadanman, the more 'jukey' guys like girl unit & addison groove.

i think its good that the dubstep sound galvanised so many people to be producing bass heavy music because at the end of the day that's what really i feel the most...

its funny that grime/dubstep started out emulating chip sounds  / borrowing blips and clikcs (classic eski sound) from 8 bit sources.. which I think led people back into it. big loud low frequency square waves and melodic blips.. they're nice sounds ! haha

Godzilladelph

wait, so addison grove produces more than just juke/footwork tunes?

Russia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UYpFpc2pzc

Godzilladelph

pretty sick! your chains are fucking huge btw (in case you didn't know already tongue )

NYC

fucking top notch

brooklyn!

siiiiiick.

@skgb do you think so? i always make my average chain 8 bars, seems pretty standard. it's really fun to compare programming stuff, it's always so craaaazyyyyy

Godzilladelph

hmmm.... well every major buildup / breakdown i do tends to come around every 8 bars, so i like to be able to slice my chains to hold 4 bars, have little alternate melodies, alternate drums, mini 4 bar bass drops, etc.
though if i don't cue up the alternate chains right, i really fuck up the song tongue

omg i've said too much lol

Last edited by SKGB (Oct 27, 2010 4:42 am)