New York City

I HAVE a USB/IDE adapter. You know what? Every time I connect the conmpactflash to another machine using this, IT DOESN'T WANT TO BOOT ON THE LIBRETTO, throwing a Disk I/O error or "invalid system disk". Unless I mount it in a virtual machine.

Can ANYBODY tell me why this shit happens? I would like to install win98 to forget about this, extracting the CF card from it means to dismantle the whole fucking computer each time and putting it back together (Hard drives are so 1993).

Last edited by akira^8GB (May 27, 2011 10:37 pm)

Librettos are great little machines. Using Linux in dual boot is a much safer option than trying to have good win98 or DOS drivers.
Damn small linux in text mode will do the job. I suppose it can also run in X windows if you have 32Mb of ram (my libretto is a 64mb ct100).
My transfer method was to use linux and a pcmcia/usb card (libretto has an internal usb... but no plug... only on the largest dock (libretto also have an internal midi port but no way to use it...)).

New York City

I don't think the 50CT or 70CT have the USB interface, but they probably have the MIDI. Do you have any documents to hack it?
Also: I managed to boot my 50CT. I needed to upgrade  the firmware to the latest version. I suggest anyone with a Libretto doing the same.

Now my 50CT is running happy dualbooting Win98 and DOS, and my PCMCIA transfer kits work great. I only boot Windows when I need to transfer files.

Linux would be quite a nightmare for a CF-IDE based setup because of the swapfile.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jul 4, 2011 1:51 pm)

Sweden
akira^8GB wrote:

Linux would be quite a nightmare for a CF-IDE based setup because of the swapfile.

Not necessarily. DSL, for example, runs entirely from a RAM drive, so no disk writes are required. If you think about it, you'll realize that no live CD implementations will realistically use any disk space for swapping, and the only hard filesystem they usually assume is the CD they are booted from. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Li … n_from_RAM

Last edited by boomlinde (Jul 4, 2011 2:32 pm)

New York City

Thanks for that, convenient! But would it run in my setup? I only have 16MB of RAM.

Sweden
akira^8GB wrote:

Thanks for that, convenient! But would it run in my setup? I only have 16MB of RAM.

I see! It would definitely be possible, but I think you be pulling more hair than by dismantling the computer every time sad

Last edited by boomlinde (Jul 4, 2011 9:50 pm)

akira^8GB wrote:

I don't think the 50CT or 70CT have the USB interface, but they probably have the MIDI. Do you have any documents to hack it?
Also: I managed to boot my 50CT. I needed to upgrade  the firmware to the latest version. I suggest anyone with a Libretto doing the same.

Now my 50CT is running happy dualbooting Win98 and DOS, and my PCMCIA transfer kits work great. I only boot Windows when I need to transfer files.

Did you mean the BIOS, upgrade BIOS right?, cause  I was about to suggest the same.

Did PulseLooper got his issues solved?

São Paulo, Brazil
Val wrote:

Did PulseLooper got his issues solved?

yup. HDD ide/usb adapter. Removing the Libretto HDD is as easy as popping out a floppy disk.

New York City

Replacing that outdated hard drive with a compactflash/ide adapter makes it lighter, NOISELESS and consume less battery. You should big_smile

PS: BIOS IS a firmware tongue

In electronic systems and computing, firmware is a term often used to denote the fixed, usually rather small, programs and/or data structures that internally control various electronic devices.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jul 8, 2011 12:07 pm)

São Paulo, Brazil
akira^8GB wrote:

Replacing that outdated hard drive with a compactflash/ide adapter makes it lighter, NOISELESS and consume less battery. You should big_smile

It's even lighter when you toss off the dead battery - my case hmm

New York City

Yeah! Mine still lasts for some time so I am keeping it but before I had an OPL-3 Thinkpad with a dead battery and I just tossed that piece o shit to the dump and it was awesome light big_smile

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jul 8, 2011 2:04 pm)