Plano, TX
herr_prof wrote:

Being an adult avoids flamewars.

I love you.

I would like an ignore button .. i find it rather tiresome being on forums with people writing 4chan onelines (like the ones we've just seen), and it would be awesome being able to ignore those doing it notoriously.

A forums shouldn't be attention whoring chat. A very nice rule for forums actually is "stay on topic". It might sound harsh to some, but it gets the job done imo. If you want to chat, get on irc.esper.net #chipmusic?

Los Angeles

I'm hear you. It also might be a good feature to see how many people are ignoring you to encourage good posts. Unfortunately I think forum updates are going to be put on hold while we get ready for some music.

Things I want added to the forums:
- social network site links
- make the user page sexier
- add ignore & links to the posts in a nice maybe drop-down manner.
- add a bouncing console logo to the header. har har.

A gray world of dread

I think a sticky with a list of planned/dismissed/suggested features might be a good idea to keep track and to avoid multiple requests for the same thing.

Last edited by µB (Jan 15, 2010 1:02 pm)

Los Angeles

cool

A gray world of dread

heart

Unsubscribe

Ooh this thread is helping me decide who to use this feature on already!

New York City

I changed my mind on this feature sad

Roanoke, VA

I've noticed elsewhere that ignoring, while functional for just those-members' posts, becomes irrelevant once their posts are quoted by other members.  So, while you may, indeed, avoid many of some members' posts, you'll still be unavoidably presented with them every once in a while.   ..Meaning, not completely satisfying the original intent, from the user's perspective.  Hence, unnecessary?

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩
trash80 wrote:

- add a bouncing console logo to the header. har har.

LOL. Maybe even with a christmas theme until late summer?

Personally I'm against the ignore feature. It would make you more of a dick to ignore someone than for them to make "troll posts". Not to mention you would miss out on parts of discussions and end up taking other peoples posts out of context.
So far our member base has been great. Most of the people who are here are serious musicians who make serious posts.
And the staff has done a great job of moderating and keeping people in line, myself included.

Chicago, IL

Maybe instead of ignoring there can be ranking of posts like there is on Engadget. That way, trolling and negativity is voted down and isn't viewable unless you click to open it in the page. That leaves good, constructive posts viewable and... umm, they get a cupcake?

Also, no popularity contests. herr_prof was right: "Being an adult avoids flamewars."

Roanoke, VA
OcnGhst wrote:

Maybe instead of ignoring there can be ranking of posts like there is on Engadget. That way, trolling and negativity is voted down and isn't viewable unless you click to open it in the page. That leaves good, constructive posts viewable and... umm, they get a cupcake?

I've seen this work to varying degrees.  What I've tended to see with this, is that the earliest posts in a thread eventually get hidden, as they will almost always statistically garner enough -1's to force said posts into hiding.  Given, this was on a very highly-flamed forum, but it may bring up a salient concern -- does/will hiding posts based upon voting/smiting potentially engender more frustration than it might allay?

))<>((
herr_prof wrote:

Being an adult avoids flamewars.

so much this.

San Francisco
joule wrote:

A very nice rule for forums actually is "stay on topic". It might sound harsh to some, but it gets the job done imo.

ppfffft. if i had a job i wouldnt be here as much.

Chicago, IL
orgwell wrote:
OcnGhst wrote:

I've seen this work to varying degrees.  What I've tended to see with this, is that the earliest posts in a thread eventually get hidden, as they will almost always statistically garner enough -1's to force said posts into hiding.  Given, this was on a very highly-flamed forum, but it may bring up a salient concern -- does/will hiding posts based upon voting/smiting potentially engender more frustration than it might allay?

I guess I just don't understand the whole notion of an Ignore button. Grow up? (Hahaha, I sound like a dick.)

Camden, London

well, I just ignore riotus posts and only respond or quote adult, intellegent quotes. that way attention seekers don't find the fuel they need. In fact, this is two lines too much on the subject but I hope others take heed and feela the chipmusic lurve!