Los Angeles
L-tron wrote:

Also, something that grinds my gears in general is:

People giving you a zip file where all the songs aren't in a album folder. So instead of just dragging the album folder to my desktop from
the unzip program, I have to create a new folder on the desktop and name it whatever the artists name/album is. This isn't a huge deal, but if you're downloading releases regularly, it's SUPER annoying. Call me lazy or whatever, but I'd say it's the artist/label's laziness.

/rant

I couldn't agree more with this.

I'm going to say this but don't shoot me because it looks like I'm just advertising.

The goal with my netlabel (deletefunction.com) was to do what was listed by Lazerbeat and a few others. Just on the surface we made sure not to have our releases be mediafire links with the file tags all jumbled up.  We wanted to be much more professional than that so we made sure we had a system to do our releases.

We also set out to fill "that niche" L-tron was talking about. We wanted to have a site that covered interesting genres like circuitbending and noise all the way back to the chip scene. so far i feel we have done a good job. We stress quality though and don't release everything that is handed to us. It has to be well made.

And I do agree with L-Tron saying many people cant get their music out there just because they're lost among the 8bc trolls. Its unfortunate that only some have the name value and recognition to succeed on the scene.

Los Angeles, CA
L-tron wrote:

People giving you a zip file where all the songs aren't in a album folder. So instead of just dragging the album folder to my desktop from
the unzip program, I have to create a new folder on the desktop and name it whatever the artists name/album is. This isn't a huge deal, but if you're downloading releases regularly, it's SUPER annoying. Call me lazy or whatever, but I'd say it's the artist/label's laziness.

/rant

Last time I complained about this a bunch of people made fun of me.

Glad to know I'm not the only person with standards.

Chicago IL

i hate that too, which is why i put all of the HHH releases in their own folder before zipping.

Brazil

Also, back to the niches part, a niche can be more than an specific sound style. It could be related to a lifestyle and friends (Cheese'n'beer looks like that to me), a specific region (latin america and spain has 3 - Chippanze, the Brazilian one; 56kbps, the LA chicos; and now Lowtoy, the Spanish boys) or even it could be related to an specific hardware or software (HEXAWE!).

Also, changing subjects, why nobody ever talked about this netlabel: http://www.petitejolie.com/ ?
Is their releases any good?

Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

Also, changing subjects, why nobody ever talked about this netlabel: http://www.petitejolie.com/ ?
Is their releases any good?

just downloaded their christmas album (dont ask me why) and its FUCKING GREAT! seriously, why did this website die?

Brazil

As I was surfing the netlabels websites, I saw a lot of them are closing, or even a while (years) without posting anything.

On the other hand I saw some really promissing labels I never heard of - I can't listen to them now cause I'm at work and no sound from computer.

Something that caught my attention was that some labels really invested time on their art. And that caught my attention to the music inside. As an example is this one: http://www.dataairlines.net/category/releases/

I feel stupid of not really surfing that shriker catalog of netlabes.

Anynowhere

Just throwing this out there, but what about actually addressing the paradigm shift: all of us who tend to listen to tons of music tend also to listen to "labels" just like people used to listen to "bands".

So, following this logic, what about a collaborative-label? Where in short: artists share their "label" name as their stage name, co-own the entire catalogue and get to create, cover and interpret each other's songs.

I'm actually in the process of starting something like this, so if any of you are interested, check the test-site
-> www.eucaryote.org

Brazil
E U C A R Y O T E wrote:

Just throwing this out there, but what about actually addressing the paradigm shift: all of us who tend to listen to tons of music tend also to listen to "labels" just like people used to listen to "bands".

So, following this logic, what about a collaborative-label? Where in short: artists share their "label" name as their stage name, co-own the entire catalogue and get to create, cover and interpret each other's songs.

I'm actually in the process of starting something like this, so if any of you are interested, check the test-site
-> www.eucaryote.org

This is actually a great idea. I liked it!

Anynowhere
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:
E U C A R Y O T E wrote:

-> www.eucaryote.org

This is actually a great idea. I liked it!

Thanks! Now the tough thing is actually finding some contributors (<--hint) smile

Brazil

Yeah, i might try to contribute, but my musical input lately is very small. But don't worry smile

Matthew Joseph Payne
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

Yeah, i might try to contribute, but my musical input lately is very small. But don't worry smile

Low output is perfect for this kind of idea, I think. Sounds clever! I'm checking it out for sure

Anynowhere
kineticturtle wrote:
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

Low output is perfect for this kind of idea, I think. Sounds clever! I'm checking it out for sure

High input would also be appreciated smile

Well, I'll make a post about this project in the collaboration part. For now, you're all welcome to have a look at eucaryote.org and drop a line at [email protected]

Cheers!